A Single Book or Compilation

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Starlight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starlight.html

A Single Book or Compilation

Post by Starlight »

I've been wondering which one readers would find more captivating. I plan to write some fiction e-books either a single one with a short story of about 10,000 words or an e-book with a compilation of like five short stories of 5000 words in one. As a reader, which one would you prefer?
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Post by Mys »

You could do both.

I personally do not buy compilations, as sometimes I do not like the other stories, but that is me.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I agree in that you can do both. Also, that may be dependent on the length once you start writing. You may aim for a story of so many words but it may wind up shorter or totally run away from you. The amount of times I thought I was writing a short story and then it just wouldn't end... You can always release the short stories separately and then later compile them - sort of like how box sets work.

I do occasionally buy compilations, basically if it's featuring my work (though usually we get those ones for free), if it's an author I really enjoy or if it's really cheap and looks like an interesting read (like in a second hand bookstore or salvos or something). Or school when that was a requirement. I don't think I've ever brought a short story before...aside from picture books.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Return to “Writing Discussion”