Submitting Creative Non-Fiction

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
JRO
Currently Reading: Commonwealth
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jro.html

Submitting Creative Non-Fiction

Post by JRO »

Does anyone have a resources for submitting personal essays/creative non-fiction? I have researched a few but some have such specific topics.
Thanks!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I do not have any publisher resources to offer but I just wanted to make the observation that your term, "Creative Non-Fiction", seems like a bit of an oxymoron. If something is nonfictional how can one be creative with the subject matter? I think the term you probably mean to employ would be personal philosophy or perhaps your own personal views or interpretations concerning nonfictional, real-world state(s) of affairs.

The most accessible venue for such essays which comes to mind (and I don't mean to sound impertinent) would be the proverbial letters to the editor. Another method would be to start a blog. Also, I don't think there would be anything wrong with you submitting your essay to our short story thread which can be found in the Writing Discussion section of the forums for critique and feedback.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

JRO wrote:Does anyone have a resources for submitting personal essays/creative non-fiction? I have researched a few but some have such specific topics.
Thanks!
Poets and Writers (either the magazines or their website) has a lot of information about creative non-fiction--if that's not one of the resources you've researched, you might want to check it out.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Return to “Writing Discussion”