How many words makes a decent e-book read?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
dragonsreclaim
Bookshelf Size: 0

How many words makes a decent e-book read?

Post by dragonsreclaim »

Approx. how many words would a good Fantasy Fiction e-book be in general?
Derinda

Post by Derinda »

I would think between 20-40 pages. I'm not sure how that breaks down into words but I do know that staring at a screen for long periods of time hurts my eyes so something shorter I prefer over something long. In that format anyway. Hope that helps you out.

Derinda Harp
Anderdad
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anderdad.html

Post by Anderdad »

Personally, I like long books. I find that the book must be long enough to tell the story with clear concise prose, but it must be short enough not to loose the reader in words and tangents that lead away from the story and the readers experience. This does not seem like an answer to the question but it does define the length of a book in a matter of speaking.

I have read books that were very short, less than 200 pages of print, that left me as a reader feeling content that the story was told as it should have been. I have also read books that are over 1000 pages in print that would leave most readers asking what happened to the story and how did it end.

I would say, to define the best lengthing of an ebook, that it would depend on the story and the author. Some stories would be well suited to 30 type pages of ebook, yet others would be left still on the introduction at 30 pages and would need a good many more pages to flesh out the story. Overall, as a reader I would recommend picking genre's you like and branching out to find new authors trying not to be stuck into the category of book size. You might find yourself enjoying , many new books you would not have considered otherwise.
Janet L
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Janet L »

How did that saying go? I think it is "writing length should be just like a lady's skirt - short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the subject." Anyway, to me it is a matter of having it told well too. If an author cuts something down to make a certain length or inserts superfluous information just to try to make it longer you can usually tell. I guess if I had to choose between having it shorter or longer, I would usually prefer shorter. Stories should only be really long is there really is that much to tell and if it is a really interesting story.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Just write the story. Don't worry about how many pages or words it is. If you end up worrying about how long or short it is, you might call into the trap of rushing it or padding it out too much.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Post by Mys »

Below 70,000: Too short
70,000 – 79,999: Might be too short; probably all right
80,000 – 89,999: Totally cool
90,000 – 99,999: Generally safe
100,000 – 109,999: Might be too long; probably all right

Fantasy is a genre that is an exception to world count. There is normally world building that needs to take place and so your book might end up being in the 100k - 115k range. Normally the publisher will give a word count idea.
Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Diving doc »

Mys wrote:Below 70,000: Too short
70,000 – 79,999: Might be too short; probably all right
80,000 – 89,999: Totally cool
90,000 – 99,999: Generally safe
100,000 – 109,999: Might be too long; probably all right

Fantasy is a genre that is an exception to world count. There is normally world building that needs to take place and so your book might end up being in the 100k - 115k range. Normally the publisher will give a word count idea.
We've obviously used the same site as a reference, if you hadn't already posted it, I was going to go and find the same list :D
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “Writing Discussion”