Looking For Tips About Chapters

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ethan Evans
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-evans.html

Looking For Tips About Chapters

Post by Ethan Evans »

Now I read a lot of books and by that I mean A LOT of them. Well, I wanted to try writing one of my own. I know the direction I want to go with it, but I really am having trouble with figuring out where to end a chapter and how long my chapter should be. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to do that. It would be much appreciated.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I plan my story by deciding what major plot events will take place in the entire story. I then make one or two occur in their own chapter. My stories tend to have a lot of travel. This makes having a new chapter occur when the characters arrive in a different location feel natural.
Depending on your story a change could be going to another room; change in perspective, or the addition/removal of a major character to a situation. For example if you have a group of marines in a battle with mercenaries and the second in command of the unit is killed it may be time to start a new chapter. Generally a major change in location, perspective or circumstance is a good reason to start a new chapter.
As for chapter length it varies depending on amount of content for the situation and personal preference. I’m sure you’ve read books that have a new chapter every 4-5 pages and others that may go 25-30. More action or many parties and locations involved may lend to shorter chapters. While discussions, long journeys and scenes with high emotions may have longer chapters. But there really is no set method. Find what feels natural to you and don’t be afraid to experiment or change ideas. Best of luck.
Ethan Evans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-evans.html

Post by Ethan Evans »

Thanks for answering and I think this will help me on my problem. Thanks again for the advice

Return to “Writing Discussion”