How do YOU like to write your reviews?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Pockets
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pockets.html

How do YOU like to write your reviews?

Post by Pockets »

I usually don't start in any particular order, I just write a bit and after that I read it over then chop and place them into sections, then of course more proof reading. Most of the time it's not a full 5 paragraphs.. But it's still a review none the less, right?

(Short Rant)
I have read many many short reviews, and despite how short, they still convinced me to try that book, and let me tell you it was worth it! I'm sure the author would love the review just the same...Actually any kind of feedback for that matter. And no pressure!
So what I'm saying is, dont judge a review by how big or how small, as long as it delivers. c: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat:
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I totally agree with you. I always have problem with long writings. Most of my reviews or other articles are short, but I think that I tend to concentrate on main things I want to express and simply don't waste the time for meaningless senetences. And I also write reviews using brainstorming, only then I put everything in order.
Pockets
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pockets.html

Post by Pockets »

fabulasaule wrote:I totally agree with you. I always have problem with long writings. Most of my reviews or other articles are short, but I think that I tend to concentrate on main things I want to express and simply don't waste the time for meaningless senetences. And I also write reviews using brainstorming, only then I put everything in order.
Thank you! I'm glad soemone agrees! c:
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

I tend to be succinct, and of course I try to avoid spoilers, but I want the reader to have an idea about whether to spend time reading it. (You can reread the best books.)
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I start by introducing the book, author and genre. this is usually all in the first paragraph.

I then write two or three paragraphs about the story-line, careful not to give any spoilers.

The last two paragraphs are usually my rating and reaction to the book.

This is the formula I usually follow.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Well, I begin with the plot of the book. That's what most people are interested in, right? So when you read the first two paragraphs, you've already decided whether or not you want to go for it. I analyze the book, give my opinion and rating later
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I always start writing my review with my rating! I find if I start by brainstorming why I'm giving the book the rating I choose it helps me easily write the rest of my review. Why am I giving it this rating? What did I love? What did I hate? Once all that is down, it's easy to go back and write a short summary as the introduction to the review.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I write a summary of the book and try to avoid spoilers of course, then I write what I liked and disliked about the book. At the end, I give my rating and explain why I gave it that number. I always keep notes on the book so I can remember certain points.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

My first 2-3 paragraphs are a summary. The next is the genre, whether it's in a series or standalone, whether it has a HEA or is a cliffhanger, and whether it is for mature audiences only or not. The next 2-3 are my likes and dislikes. The last paragraph explains my review rating, whether I'd recommend this book and to whom I would recommend it to, and whether I think I'd read it again. I list the rating at the very end.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

First I try to introduce what kind of book it is, such as the genre and what it is similar to. Sometimes I have a hard time summarizing the story... Not because of the spoilers, but because I forget that other people haven't read it yet! After that I focus on the good and bad points, and the last paragraph is for the rating and who I would/wouldn't recommend it to.

After writing all this, I usually end up with 430~460 words per review. I suppose it helps to be long-winded?
Zohaib01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib01.html

Post by Zohaib01 »

I try through a few quotes in there and then also talk about the themes discussed in the book
Adhen Surrain
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhen-surrain.html

Post by Adhen Surrain »

I enjoy writing reviews. It helps me know when i write, what the readers want to read and what they don't.
5ngela
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5ngela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by 5ngela »

I write my review quite short maybe just 2 paragraphs. I am trying to write longer though.
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

Some of mine are short, but some I'm more enthusiastic about.

Return to “Writing Discussion”