How to Get Started

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
BlameSunshine
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blamesunshine.html

How to Get Started

Post by BlameSunshine »

Hello Everyone,
I have so many ideas when it comes to writing books/stories but I never really know where to start or how to build on what I have. What sorts of processes and techniques do you guys use to help get pen to paper and get those creative juices flowing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

Where I start is with my main characters: what is going to happen to them, how do they respond, what are the consequences, what are their physical appearance and personalities like. I then try to think of some of the challenges the characters will face and decide on an approximate order of events. When it comes time to start writing the story I like to go back to the day before their life changes. For example if I created Spiderman I would start with the day before he gets bitten by a radioactive spider. This gives me a clear picture of who the character is in their ordinary life and provides the contrast for how they will be at the end of the story. Not all the day before things have to make it into the story, but I like knowing my characters in this way. The main thing after all this is to write. Nothing will flow if you don't turn on the tap by putting pen to paper or fingers on a keyboard. Fill that first blank page and the next become easier. Have fun and good luck.
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

I have a few steps I use. Obviously, I start with a rough idea, but from there I work on characterization and outlining.

For characterization, I do a one-page write-up for my protagonist(s) and antagonist(s), making sure to list all major specs. From there, I ask myself about the characters' likes/dislikes, quirks, past experiences that have driven them to their current motivations, etc.

When I outline, I try to start with just a handful of important plot points: What are going to drive the characters/story forward? Sometimes, just looking at the characters and their emerging personalities can lend to this stage. I try to cover inciting event(s), driving factors/reversals, and climax, and I brainstorm for further plot points from there. I typically keep my outlines very rough, knowing things will change a little here and there (and I'll adjust accordingly) as the story goes. I'll try to have at least a dozen or two solid plot points before I begin writing.

Now... I look at the plot points each as individual writing prompts. Some might cover a chapter, others a little more. As I write, more plot points will come to me, and I'll plug them into my outline accordingly. For complex chapters, I'll write mini-outlines before continuing. If scene order eludes me, I'll try writing my plot points down on note cards and lay them individually in front of me, looking for a logical order.

If I'm writing a literary piece, I'll also brainstorm for technical aspects such as foreshadowing and symbolism. I'll also think about the impact I want the end to have: Happy or tragic ending? Provocative or just plain disturbing? Simple... or complicated enough to leave the reader thinking and wondering about the whys and hows of what I've left in their laps?

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

Build your characters. Not only is it fun but I'm some many ways characters can help move this along. Also take a deep breath and try to remember that its a first draft and the kinks can be worked out in the next however many drafts as you edit and polish. I also like to recommend reading some books about writing. Personally, I like A Fiction Writer's Workshop and The Art of War For Writers.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

As everyone said, you could begin by describing the characters. Alternatively, you could begin with catchy dialogues/conversations or a tricky situation. You can go into flashback and explain it later. That's just something I've used before :)
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I get a ton of ideas (and titles!) for books I want to write, but don't seem to find a fascinating plot. Any help?
Leigh M Lane

Post by Leigh M Lane »

sindhu75063 wrote:I get a ton of ideas (and titles!) for books I want to write, but don't seem to find a fascinating plot. Any help?
Your idea is going to be your plot's skeleton. With your idea in mind, as yourself:

Who is my protagonist (and what traits are relevant to the story I want to tell)?
What are my protagonist's goals?
What stands between him/her and said goals?
What inciting moment starts my protagonist toward those goals?
What are my antagonist's motivations?
What brought the antagonist to said motivations?
What do I want to say with this story?
What do I want the story to build toward?
What kind of climax would suit the story best?
What kind of ending would suit the story best?

Study basic plot structure. Believe it or not, Aristotle is a great place to start. The Hero's Journey is another one. A solid structure will help you build a story that has a logical beginning, middle, and end. Without one, you risk ending up with an episodic mess that stumbles aimlessly toward the finish line.

Try writing an outline. Start basic--beginning, middle, and end--and then slowly fill in the missing pieces. What stories do you like to read? What makes them good? What structures do they follow? Start by writing what works for you as a reader. As you practice, your voice will begin to shine though. Good luck!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I think it depends on what kind of mind you have. People with A type brains tend to be very precise and organized. If you are one of these people it might be helpful to make an entire outline before you actually begin writing the story. If you have a B type brain you are more inclined to be creative and put things together on the fly as you write.

I took a test once and I fell directly in the center of the A -B types, but if I were honest I would have to say that I believe I have more of a B type brain because I tend to develop the story as I write which I think takes more creativity than organization. The A type when asked the result of one and one answers two - the B type answers eleven. Both are right but they came to their conclusions in different ways.

Think of your story as a road. All you really need to know is what the destination is (the basic idea of the story). You then begin the journey with the object in mind of reaching the destination. I think the very best advice I can give you is to just start writing. Granted, you will have to backtrack sometimes and take new paths, but at least you are moving. I constantly reread what I have written and ask myself where I want to go from there and the story just naturally evolves. Sometimes I have to change entire sections or, to my great regret, have to delete sections which I had labored over for a long time - that's just part of the game. TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T BE IN A HURRY. Cooking a steak with a welder's blowtorch because you are impatient will not cook it faster, it will only scorch the outside and leave the inside raw.

Always remember that you are writing the story for someone else to read. The fact that YOU get what you are writing isn't as important as knowing that your readers will get it. Ask yourself constantly if what you are writing sounds labored or tedious to the ear. Does it make sense or is it too obscure? Also be on guard for inconsistencies and if you include factual data such as historical dates or other data be sure you research them for accuracy because some A type critic will rake you over the coals if you don't.

If you reach a dead end do not throw the story away. Sometime in the future you may become inspired with ideas which will allow you to continue where you left off.

Hope this helps.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Wow....a lot of information in one forum.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Isn't it just great! Those are really precious words, Dato...thank you!
Kaitlyn Love

Post by Kaitlyn Love »

I have a quick question. I am working on the plot of a story for a comic. It is okay to start in the middle of a conflict? Or should I do the "day before" type thing? Thank you!
Leigh M Lane

Post by Leigh M Lane »

Kaitlyn Love wrote:I have a quick question. I am working on the plot of a story for a comic. It is okay to start in the middle of a conflict? Or should I do the "day before" type thing? Thank you!
In the middle of a conflict is a great place to start! Given the visual medium, a "teaser," as they call it in screenwriting, allows your story to hit the ground running. When beginning any story, ask yourself when the very latest you can dive into the plot might be. Beginning with "the day before" and similar "background" points will only lead to plot dump, which you want to keep at a minimum and in digestible pieces. Hope that makes sense.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Leigh M Lane wrote:I have a few steps I use. Obviously, I start with a rough idea, but from there I work on characterization and outlining.

For characterization, I do a one-page write-up for my protagonist(s) and antagonist(s), making sure to list all major specs. From there, I ask myself about the characters' likes/dislikes, quirks, past experiences that have driven them to their current motivations, etc.

When I outline, I try to start with just a handful of important plot points: What are going to drive the characters/story forward? Sometimes, just looking at the characters and their emerging personalities can lend to this stage. I try to cover inciting event(s), driving factors/reversals, and climax, and I brainstorm for further plot points from there. I typically keep my outlines very rough, knowing things will change a little here and there (and I'll adjust accordingly) as the story goes. I'll try to have at least a dozen or two solid plot points before I begin writing.

Now... I look at the plot points each as individual writing prompts. Some might cover a chapter, others a little more. As I write, more plot points will come to me, and I'll plug them into my outline accordingly. For complex chapters, I'll write mini-outlines before continuing. If scene order eludes me, I'll try writing my plot points down on note cards and lay them individually in front of me, looking for a logical order.

If I'm writing a literary piece, I'll also brainstorm for technical aspects such as foreshadowing and symbolism. I'll also think about the impact I want the end to have: Happy or tragic ending? Provocative or just plain disturbing? Simple... or complicated enough to leave the reader thinking and wondering about the whys and hows of what I've left in their laps?

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!
This is incredibly well-thought and useful. I usually implement Freytag's pyramid (if I'm going to write something short). This advice will come in handy when I decide to write a longer piece. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “Writing Discussion”