What do you like to write about?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Re: What do you like to write about?

Post by Ripley3131 »

I dabble with non-fiction and have had a few articles published. I believe that non-fiction is good practice for me, but it is so much more difficult for me. My favorite writing genres involve the use of my imagination. Developing engaging fictional characters and an entertaining plot line is, without a doubt, my favorite form of writing.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

I write fiction and non-fiction. I used to think that fiction would be easier because I wouldn't have to do any research, but actually, I've done lots of research, even buying books to make my fiction believable.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

I kind of write whatever I feel like. Most of the time it involves sci-fi or fantasy in some ways, but occasionally does have a more realistic base. Never about my own life though. That's boring.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
bellarosa
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellarosa.html

Post by bellarosa »

It's definitely a reflection of the mood I'm in. When I'm in a slump I'm all about poetry and getting that out, but when I'm content it's fiction, usually scifi or fantasy type stuff (always a bummer, which is why I can't write it when I'm sad).
Ashton
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashton.html

Post by Ashton »

I am not at all a professional but so far every story I have written is in the fantasy/supernatural genre.

I like stories that take me away which is probably why I write that way. I wonder if that is true for others as well? Do you write what you enjoy reading?
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

It's kind of funny, because I have always been told to write what YOU want to write about, not what others want you to write about, and I definitely do that. I love to read fantasy/urban fantasy romance/young adult novels and so naturally that is what I write about as well.

Love triangles, magic, fantasy, adventure, mythology are really common in my writings, and I favor a lot of specific themes to that are also influenced by what I like to read.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
TLHarpis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TLHarpis »

I like to write pieces that show that women dont have to give up feminity to be bold or strong.
mrsdeg1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdeg1983.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mrsdeg1983 »

I like to write about people who start out at the bottom and climb to the top. A book about strength and love.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I don't think it's bad that you like to write about yourself. It helps you remember everything in further detail and even relive it. I personally like to write action, mystery, with a hint of romance. I think I would say probably more a YA type.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

I like to write about experiences with people whom I don't talk to or wish I talked to. Nowadays, I'm interested in writing stories that cover my own experiences.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like to write about anything that I know would never happen in the real world. I like to create something new purely from my imagination that I have never seen before. I mean, yeah, I sometimes write contemporary too but I really love putting something imaginative in it.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Writing Discussion”