How to be satisfied with your work?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Re: How to be satisfied with your work?

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

I struggle with a low opinion of my writing too. Really, I don't think most writers ever feels satisfied and probably shouldn't because how else would they have the drive, passion, and desire to improve to be good writers?

That being said, I know there are real things that need to be improved about my work and I am attempting to deal with them in several ways:

#1. I make literal note of times when I run into writing that I want to emulate, whether in books, tv, or movies. It's everything from characters I like to the way things are phrased. Seeing that I'm most afraid that people find my writing boring and/or characters unrelatable, I'm particularly focusing on what makes me like characters, laugh, and get delight from art.

#2. I'm trying to take this advice: reduce a large concept to the tiniest part of it and embellish that - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150659550009644929/

#3. This tip also interests me. It recommends when you have issues with your writing to focus on fixing the story, not the words. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150659550011125549/
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree with everyone who says that they are never truly satisfied with their work. I go through a writing depression because I have moments where I think what I write isn't good enough. Sometimes, I have to keep myself from reading other people's stories because I start to compare mine and fall into a deeper depression.

In the end, I'll probably never be satisfied with my work but I'm working on accepting it for what it is. I can definitely work to improve it but I also have to learn to accept that my writing isn't going to be like everyone else's.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

You can always learn from your mistakes.
You recognise that you tried then improve on it.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

You can always learn from your mistakes.
You should realise that you tried then improve on it.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrocelot.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Astrocelot »

Everyone on here has amazing tips, and as another writer, it's wonderful to hear them! I want to mention that, so long as it doesn't hinder your writing, a little bit of dissatisfaction can be a positive thing. From working with a lot of other creative people, I've noticed something universal about the ones who are successful; they think they have room to improve, and so they seek that out. I can't tell you how many talented writers I've met who are fully satisfied with everything they do, and genuinely believe they don't have anything else to learn. It really stunts their growth over time!

Don't beat yourself up about it, and don't throw in the towel. The fact that you're asking for advice means that someday you'll be writing things that you can be proud of. And you will have built all the tools you needed to wow your audience.

That said, definitely seek out the opinions of other writers, and continue writing! The more you put it aside, the rustier you'll get. Another trick to keep in mind when you feel like you're just not expressing yourself properly is to first ask yourself, "What do I want out of this? What are themes that could represent the feeling I'm trying to get across? What environment suits the mood?" and etc. It might help to make a short list of the things that come to mind, so you can reference them as you write. If you don't like it, edit, edit, edit! Everyone's first draft sucks, true facts.

Good luck with your writing, I know you can do it!
DougBLedford
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DougBLedford »

So, this post is pretty old, and I'm not sure how things turned out for the original poster, but here's my thought:

If you are dissatisfied with your writing, it can only mean one thing -- that you're a writer. I haven't spoken to a single writer who was actually satisfied with their work, and so this is a good thing. For one, it means that you care. It means that you want your writing to be the best that it can be, and one should channel this discontent and make it a positive experience. Personally, I have run into this issue just recently. A few months back, I was actually satisfied with my work. (Silly me.) After a painstaking writing experience, I came to the realization that I am nowhere near where I want to be. I haven't written a single word since, and it's been about two months now. I am planning on getting back on the horse this week, but it was a very depressing ordeal. I definitely hit rock bottom. For me, OCD was a major factor, and I'm also a recent college graduate looking for work, so this has all contributed to my absence from writing. I think confidence is one of the most underrated tools for a writer, and it's such a fleeting thing. The bottom line is this: Just keep working on your craft. I don't think you'll ever be truly satisfied with your work because that is the nature of the writer. Embrace that dissatisfaction, and let it fuel your work. Here is a relevant quote from Ambrose "bitter" Bierce that sums up this issue quite brilliantly.

In "The Devil's Dictionary," Bierce defines Achievement as "The death of endeavor and the birth of disgust." Just let that sink in for a moment.
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

No one will ever be truly satisfied with their writing. And you will always have haters of books you write the important things to know is that you take the comments from everyone including critics and let it make the next book a better version of the previous.
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

If you're satisfied with your work then improving would be quite difficult. Dissatisfaction is what makes the next work better and it's the backbone of editing. People don't edit work they're happy with; they edit work they feel needs improvement. With that being said, there's no need to belittle every little thing you write; if you do this, it'll be difficult to improve because you'll always feel like "it isn't good enough." Like everything else in life, there needs to be a balance: don't become arrogant about the quality of your work, but don't drag it through the mud. Ultimately, honesty is the best policy. Sometimes, bringing in other opinions help. Other times, you just have to buckle down and view your work as objectively as possible.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Don't start to write as soon as the idea comes to your mind. Let it be there for a while and it will eventually get its own shape. Then you will get the appropriate words and sentences to write it. More importantly, use others work to get an idea and to learn new words. Don't compare your work with them. Everyone is unique. Just write something and if publishers reject it, self publish it. Eventually you will overcome of your problem
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

You are your own worst critic, and that doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. You have to keep writing and writing even when you feel like you suck, reading tips from other authors and expanding your vocabulary as you write. For example: when I feel like I'm repeating a word more than twice in a paragraph, I always use google to search for a synonym or a similar word. That helps a lot.

Never ever stop writing. That's they key to success and one day you'll find a storyline that becomes the 'it' for you, and words will come so smoothly afterwards.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Writing Discussion”