Looking for some Tips

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MystiB84
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystib84.html

Looking for some Tips

Post by MystiB84 »

I loved writing short stories in high school when I wasn't writing my poems for class, but I have gotten away from them since graduation and college.
What are some good ways to get back into it and finding a topic you can really get into? I have tried using personal experiences but seem to over think them all the time.
panamagirl1968
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by panamagirl1968 »

You can goto google and lookup writing prompts. When I first started in March writing short stories I did a google search for writing prompts it very helpful to get started with writing. I use writing prompts and I also makeup my own writing ideas. Pinterest and tumblr have some good writing prompts.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent tips.

Vermont Reviews
MystiB84

Post by MystiB84 »

Thanks so much! I have checked Google a bit but I will keep digging and check Pintrest as well. Thanks for the tips!
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Also, I would suggest starting from your favorite part of the writing process. For me, I like to make up characters first, and then after I know how the characters will act around each other, I start to build the world and plot of the story around them. It's a bit backwards, but oh well! :D

If you like to create worlds like alternate universes you can start with that, or you can start with a story idea, whatever gets you excited about the story enough to write it!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

katiesquilts wrote:Also, I would suggest starting from your favorite part of the writing process. For me, I like to make up characters first, and then after I know how the characters will act around each other, I start to build the world and plot of the story around them. It's a bit backwards, but oh well! :D

If you like to create worlds like alternate universes you can start with that, or you can start with a story idea, whatever gets you excited about the story enough to write it!

Excellent tip

Vermont Reviews

:)
MystiB84

Post by MystiB84 »

That is an awesome idea! I would have never thought about that! It's like starting in the middle and working both ways out to the beginning and the end. I will definitely give that a try. It sounds like so much fun!
MaryJones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MaryJones »

There are many writing prompts available to start your writing. Writing a story isn't an easier task. Start with small stories. I am a writer to help students in dissertation writing help. But my passion for writing makes me write small stories even in the busy schedule of my life. Writing requires some ideas and writing ability. One can achieve it by practicing it everyday.
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

katiesquilts wrote:Also, I would suggest starting from your favorite part of the writing process. For me, I like to make up characters first, and then after I know how the characters will act around each other, I start to build the world and plot of the story around them. It's a bit backwards, but oh well! :D

I'll usually develop my characters before I do my major outlining. I almost always start on a premise: What if...? Novel ideas usually develop in my head for several months to a year before I start actively developing them.

Maybe you just need to think about a premise for a while, let a small idea build into something bigger before jumping into the writing. Or maybe you just need a good brainstorming session.

Then, of course, there are the ideas that just come out of nowhere at the most random of times.... If it's been a while, MystiB84, hopefully you're due. 8-)
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

Honestly, I think reading is always a good place to start read a lot. You can also try starting with a character. Rather than coming up with a story then placing your characters inside. Think ofcharacter and everything you can imagine about them then let them tell you their story. I also recommend reading books about fiction writing how to books and such it's always good to rehash the basics and different books offer different perceptives. I like A Fiction Writer's Workshop and The Art of War For Writers.

Return to “Writing Discussion”