What inspired you to start writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Trendydoc_73
Favorite Author: Onyeka Uzoma MD
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ricanah</a>
Currently Reading: A briefer history of time
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 35027

What inspired you to start writing?

Post by Trendydoc_73 »

I self published my first book this year and I feel fabulously liberated. However, looking back what really inspired me to write in the first place? Hmmmm, that's a hard question but I truly think that I had read so many books that I just went into autopilot and started writing different genres. I have loads of manuscripts dating back to way before I ever knew that I would actually ever put anything out in the public domain. Then there was the catalyst of sibling rivalry, my big brother was working on a great story and the competitive edge in me went into overdrive. Was it worth it? Oh yes it has been. I should have a second book later this year, I love books so I guess this new chapter has just begun to evolve.
I guess that's my story, kindly share yours.
joefowler
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by joefowler »

I've always loved to read. When I would be without a new book, I would make up story lines in my head. One day, I decided to write them down. I have self-published 7 novels since.
Trendydoc_73
Favorite Author: Onyeka Uzoma MD
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ricanah</a>
Currently Reading: A briefer history of time
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 35027

Post by Trendydoc_73 »

I can really relate to how your relationship with books blossomed into writing joefowler. Thanks for sharing.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I knew that I wasn't getting any younger. I loved writing when I was younger and find that I still do.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
willow23
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willow23.html

Post by willow23 »

i have never published any of my writings but have been writing since i was 8 or 9. i guess what really started me writing was my love for books and i guess my over active imagination, i swear its like my brain never shuts up. i would be very interested at some point in getting a book published but feel that im not close to doing so yet.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I've only written journal articles. I was an English language lecturer in Asia and one of the other institute professors asked me to help him cowrite an article for our school journal. He inspired me to write several. I applied to a professional company to do proofreading and editing, also at that time, so it's how I got into the publishing field.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I have been working on developing a Fantasy novel for almost seven years now. My imagination has always been one of the more prominent things about me and often characters will pop into my head. I only decided I wanted to write a story when one of my made up characters (The protagonist in my future novel) would keep coming back to me. So I've been spending years now building, destroying, and rebuilding a story and world around this character. I honestly don't know when or if I'll ever get done, but I enjoy the process nonetheless.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Reading's the best! And when I was little, whenever I would read a bad story, I'd make up how I wanted it to go instead. Which is a lot of what drives me to write the things I want to see in stories.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

As a kid, I used to imagine stories with my toys that, considering my age at that time, had a certain degree of complexity and characterization, even if they were always boosted by moments of "action". Although I always had a good memory, there were things that eluded me, so I decided to start writing them down.
Beth470
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beth470 »

I always wanted to be a writer I wrote a song once and I got a rating of 96 on it. But I was 16 at the time. My parents didn't have the money to patent it. But through the years I have written down my thoughts. I have so many tablets full of stuff and don't know where to start.
I have a book I have been working on for four years and it seems I have lost interest in it. I think I just like to write short stories.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

It was just something I started to do after I dropped out of my A-levels (that's roughly high school for you US guys), and kept at it.
DreamerSeeker
Favorite Book: A Dog's Purpose
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DreamerSeeker »

I was inspired to write when I was in my 10th-grade biology class at school. We had a student teacher who wanted my class to write a poem about parasites, pollution, or streams. I choose to write my poem on parasites and the next day after I turned mine in, the student teacher, as well as my regular teacher, both complimented on how "awesome" my poem was and the student gave my poem back to me inside of a small picture frame and asked me if I could write some more poems because he'd love to read them. So, I did. I went home that same day and wrote 5 more poems within about an hour, I just wrote what came to my heart. I took them to school the next day and gave the poems to my student teacher and the day after that, he said I have a true gift for writing. At the time, I didn't believe I had any talent for it. I just thought the student teacher and my regular teacher were just being nice. So then when I was in 12th grade, we had to do a senior project in order to graduate. I wrote more poems and made a 20-paged illustrated poetry book. At the end of the year when we were graded on our projects, my school librarian and a couple other teachers approached me and complimented at how "awesome" I did on my poetry book. This has really inspired me to continue writing. :)
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I was inspired to write when I learned to love reading. I believe that the two always have to come hand in hand. Because I have developed my skill in reading, it seemed like I was drawn to the idea of writing my own stories as well. Back in our high school days, I loved creating skits for our class presentations. Then we used to do informal and formal writings that I started using my ability to write in expressing my thoughts about things and about the world.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I got inspired to write after being so annoyed with how a favorite book series went.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

My father used to make poems when I was small and going after him, I also gave a try. Then only I realized I have the ability too. Not stopping at that point, I tried to write as well. When one of my science fictions published in the local newspaper, I got the idea that I can write as well. Recently I translated it into English and published on Amazon
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”