How would you celebrate your novel being published?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

How would you celebrate your novel being published?

Post by moderntimes »

Just wondering, of those here who've been fortunate enough to have their novel published, what did you do to celebrate? And for those who've not yet hit the mark, what would you plan?

For me, as soon as the new novel hit Amazon, I celebrated by going to the hospital ER for an abdominal problem. True story. Luckily they only kept me overnight for observation and no surgery, whew!

Soon as I receive copies of the book (it's published in both Kindle and trade paperback) I'll be having a release party at my fave British pub up the street, and inviting all my friends to share in the fun. Of course they'll all be required to buy a copy. (just kidding) Probably next Saturday afternoon.

Then, since it's a mystery (modern American private eye novel), I'll order a flak jacket with "WRITER" on it and head down to the Houston police homicide HQ to volunteer my help in examining crime scene evidence, interviewing murder suspects, and intervening otherwise in police procedures, just like "Castle" does. (how long do you think I'd stay out of jail if I really did that, or maybe the psych ward? ha ha)

So what did you do when your novel was published to celebrate, or what would you like to do assuming this were to happen to you in the future?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

Assuming I would get a book published in the future, I would probably celebrate by making myself a large plate of cookies, a mug of hot chocolate, and then sit down and eat them while reading my book cover to cover.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Already done, my friend. First thing I did upon receiving the final galley proofs was to transfer it to Kindle and read the whole book straight thru, including the front & back matter (front matter being title page, copyright page, dedication page, epigram page, etc. Back matter is maybe the author's bio, a teaser of 2 chapters from the new upcoming book, and some general advertising pages from the publisher on other new books available.

No cocoa, just bottle water, but yeah, I read the entire book and frankly, was pretty happy! Publisher did a terrific job on the formatting, layout, cover art (only visible on my laptop since the cover's got vivid color and my ancient Kindle is B&W, ha ha)

But next? Maybe a party with some good friends and relatives, hopefully some of whom didn't laugh that you were actually in process of writing a novel? another ha ha

Right now, since my book is just in trade paperback release, my publisher has sent me a few complimentary copies, and I ordered a bunch more at my author's discount, and they're on the way. So I'm due to get a nice FedEx box all happy and shiny and filled with new fresh copies of my 3rd novel, yay!

There are a few close friends who get a personal gift copy, including 3 very well known mystery writers who've been helpful to me, giving advice and such, and so they'll get a signed copy in the mail soon as I can.

Then it's party time! I'm a regular patron to this excellent, friendly British pub just up the street, and I'll be throwing a release party there. And at the same time, the local mystery bookstore will be stocking copies of my book for sale.

After that? I dunno. Lurk in the bookstore and stand there, humming, and when a customer comes nearby, I'll grab them and point out my book, saying loudly, "I WROTE THAT!" Yeah, right.

And the bookstore will also host a signing for me sometime in the next month or so. Keen, huh?

So after the quiet personal read of your book, what next?
RavelleWriter
Currently Reading: Fated for Sanchez
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by RavelleWriter »

As soon as I press that 'publish' button, it's time to get to work finding book blogs and other sites to request book reviews! Maybe that's a little backwards compared to how many authors line up reviews before they publish a book but for me it's how I get going.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Not backwards at all. My new novel came out and right afterward, I submitted it for review to BookClub here.

But yeah, I took advantage of a friendship with a fairly famed mystery writer, asked if he'd provide me a fair and honest evaluation, maybe a cover blub. He agreed and provided me a very nice preview review which is now on the back cover of the book.

Major authors of course have publishers who send their books out to lots of reviewers. I myself review mystery novels for a website and so I'm always getting advance copies of novels to write a review for.
JDOVE

Post by JDOVE »

I went to work as usual, but I brought home pizza from Papa John's for dinner (no way I was cooking), and an ice cream cake. Of course no one at the store could write on the cake, so they let me! I wrote, "Happy Release Day". Stunning day, huh?
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Happy release day, eh? Sounds like a winner!

So, did you eat the pizza and ice cream all yourself? ha ha

Any release celebration party among friends coming next?\\

For me, this involves a couple of top ranked IPA beers as part of the celebration at my local Brit pub.
rythmicjea
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rythmicjea.html

Post by rythmicjea »

I would have a party! haha! Seriously, I would have a dinner party that would be potluck (BYOB) and dishes that were brought must be inspired or come from books. :) I understand that it's a bit ambitious, but it's what I dream of. I'm sure that it will be "Go to work, go to gym, come home, watch netflix." lol

Happy Reading!
Lea
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

That's a nifty idea about a potluck dinner party. Sounds good.

My release party at the British pub will not be a fancy affair. I'll just email friends and invite them to come and help celebrate, probably fewer than 2 dozen folks. But we'll just drink couple of IPAs and share a plate of nachos and laugh.

I'll take a couple copies of my new novel to show off, and give out my business card to those interested, because my card covers my website and that site has all the info for ordering my books from Amazon.

No way will I be selling copies to folks, however. That I just won't do. Naturally I'll be giving away copies to close friends and relatives, however.
b_carrigan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-carrigan.html

Post by b_carrigan »

First would say thank you Lord for helping e with this and then a big family dinner
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Today I received a nice big FedEx box containing the complimentary copies of my new private eye novel, send from the publisher.

I opened the box like a kid at Christmas! And there, under the packing, was a nice stack of shiny new "trade paperback" copies of my book!

Talk about a rush, looking at the cover art, holding the book, opening it to read the title, dedication, first chapter, and at the end, the author bio and my own ugly mug smiling out at me. ha ha

Just opening that box of a dozen books was a real celebration!
andriah1999
Currently Reading: School of Deaths
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriah1999.html

Post by andriah1999 »

I would celebrate my novel being published by going to a bookstore and find the spot where my book would be placed on the shelf. Then I'll of course buy a stack full of books while I'm there because duh! It's a bookstore. After that I'll probably go to my favorite restaurant with family and friends and take in the day. Then I'll make cupcakes or something and put my characters names on them. :D :D :D
sterlingsilv16
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sterlingsilv16.html

Post by sterlingsilv16 »

Should I ever publish a novel, I would probably spend the next couple of days having a minor (happy) freakout. It would be a dream come true to contribute back to the writing and reading community after having spent so much of my time gorging on books that I love. I think I would mostly be flabergasted that something I wrote would have the possibility of being read and loved by others. My celebratory response would definitely include going out for a drink or two with a few of my closest friends. Such a thing to dream for!
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

For me success comes with a sense of numbness. I would probably initially do nothing. And then like a year later I'd realize what i had accomplished and go out to dinner or something lol. I'm rather lame that way ?
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

It depends. If I had to self-publish, I probably wouldn't do anything until I hit the bestseller list or made back my money from cover art, editing, etc. If I sold a book to a publisher, I would probably take my family out to a nice dinner.

Return to “Writing Discussion”