Writing Resources for Novelists

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
kidcabe55
Favorite Author: Don Trowden
Currently Reading: Balthazar
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 32732

Writing Resources for Novelists

Post by kidcabe55 »

Writing fiction is solitary painstaking work. We are fortunate to have some outstanding practitioners who have shared their knowledge with us and these are some books I highly recommend:

13 Ways of Looking at the Novel by Jane Smiley
The Art of Fiction by John Gardner
On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner
What If? by Anne Bernays, et. al.
On Writing Well by Donald Hall
The Writers on Writing series
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This is an interesting list! I'd like to add a magazine that I've read--off and on--for years. It's Poets & Writers, and it covers a lot of writing-related subjects. I know it's available in some libraries, and they have a web site, too: http://www.pw.org
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Another fine book is Stephen King's "On Writing" which is especially valuable because it described the day to day process, in the trenches, so to say.

After a certain amount of time, however, there's not a lot that a book can teach you. Books on writing are helpful for newbie authors, but these things will only get you launched and provide valuable info for those getting started.

After you've written your first novel, I think that the info needed for this process should be pretty well embedded in the ol' brain. And sometimes, fledgling authors can find themselves caught in the planning process as a loop and never actually getting to the task of writing itself.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
mswrtr
Currently Reading: The Trip to Echo Spring
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by mswrtr »

I also enjoyed Elizabeth Berg's "Escaping into the open: The Art of Writing True". It is entertaining, filled with anecdotes, and tips.
BookLover2280
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=2735">To Kill a Mockingbird</a>
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover2280.html
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookLover2280 »

I am like most aspiring to be a publishd arthur and I am thankful for any help such as this. I have been writing since I was 16 and finally six years ago I really got seirous about it.
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender

Return to “Writing Discussion”