In Need of Ideas for Children's Writing Program

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MyBrokeCollegeLife
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mybrokecollegelife.html
fav_author_id: 1778

In Need of Ideas for Children's Writing Program

Post by MyBrokeCollegeLife »

I am launching a summer writing program for students in my area to expand their technical skills, gain exposure to new types of writing, and help them develop their creative voice. The program is separated into 3 main groups, each of which meets for a total of eight one and a half hour sessions. Group one is for students entering grades 3-4, group two is for those entering grades 5-6, and group three for grades 7-8. I am looking for ideas for all ages across a variety of different types of writing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :tiphat:
Last edited by gali on 21 Jan 2016, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: self promoting
joanofarc2015
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

For Grades 3 to 4, I'd say:
Making Heroes
Making Villains
Plot Basics (then maybe a day for each sub-part of plot)

Grades 5 to 6:
Try making a newspaper with them :)

Grades 7 to 8:
Maybe make a class website with blogs on their different interests
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
cgbermudez86
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cgbermudez86 »

I absolutely love the idea of a writing program! When I was in the 7th grade, our teacher had us write a "How to..." book. It was intended to help us pay more attention to details. Have fun with your program!

Return to “Writing Discussion”