Do you write a journal/diary?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lozzie1969
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you write a journal/diary?

Post by lozzie1969 »

I'm a great believer in the power of journal therapy and would encourage anyone to keep a journal. Just don't be too strict about it, don't make it a chore
mikke_

Post by mikke_ »

I do. I started about about two and a half years ago, mainly because I fell in love with a notebook and needed something to write into it. It's probably the most personal item in my household. I don't write daily but rather whenever I feel like it. There are things written down that no one else knows about me, and in a way it makes a lot of things easier to handle.
Sometimes it's poems, or a lyric that speaks to me, a passage from a book I read, a quote ... , and sometimes it's a five page rant. I write about literally everything: my fears and hopes, goals and memories.
It's basically my brain in a notebook. I hope in twenty, thirty years I'll get the chance to read over it and understand myself better, see how I've grown and changed.
And I agree, my writing skills have developed a lot since I started writing reguarly. That's not to say I've become a great writer because of it, but writing in my native language has become a lot more fun since I play with words on a more regular basis.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

@mikke_ are you fluent in other languages? Have you found that writing in your non-native language helps you with fluency?
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
mikke_

Post by mikke_ »

I'm fluent in German as it is my native language, and I like to think my English has improved a lot since I started writing more frequently (not only for myself but on the internet/social media etc.) I'm fluent in Danish, too, and slowly getting there with French and Spanish. Writing about day to day events or thoughts in these languages really helps to manifest the vocabulary and grammar, I like it a lot. (it won't let me reply directly to you, still new to this, sorry.)
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I used to journal everyday, but I think it was mostly to clear my head and help me figure out how I really felt about things. I never felt like my daily journaling helped my writing craft, unless I sat down specifically to work on a poem or story (which didn't feel quite like journaling).
read well and write bravely
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html

Post by aparsons »

@mikke_ I would love to be a English as a Second Language teacher and I bet journaling would be a great exercise for older students to improve their grammar, writing style and syntax. Kudos to you for learning so many languages! I am fluent in Spanish, and as a result I can make out some Latin, French, Italian or Portuguese, but not well.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

@mikke_ my husband is also a native German speaker ! And I used to journal a little bit in Chinese (I'm fluent in mandarin), too. I learned Chinese a few years ago and journaling helped me build my vocab quite a bit. I agree with you
read well and write bravely
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I have been writing in a journal ever since I was twelve. At first I used to write in it everyday, but by now, (years and years later) I tend to write in it when I'm stressed and need expert advice (my own).
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

I've tried and tried to keep a diary over the years but I really struggle to commit to it, because it's not the same as just carrying around a notebook and jotting down random things when i feel like it. Although, having a journal did help me through a particularly rough patch when I felt like no one else would listen.

Now, I just like having my notebook around -- having all my ideas in one place helps and I don't have to worry about the formality of it.
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I don't like to share my feelings much so although I did start writing a diary when I was younger I would continuously be thinking,'What would someone(most probably my sister) think of me if she read this?' so my diary probably wasn't very free-flowing, and I didn't carry on for very long.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
vigabo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vigabo.html

Post by vigabo »

I don't journal but when I set out to write my first memoir, I realized how helpful it would have been if I had. Memories are elusive and when you're in your 60's and decide to write a "tell-all", it sure is hard to remember everything. These days, I mentor memoir writing workshops and advise all participants it's never too late to begin journalling if you one day hope to write a memoir.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I used to write diary for about 8 years but I quited. Maybe it was related with difficult teenage period. It helped me a lot as therapy. Maybe I will do it again in the future.
Opheliasyndrome

Post by Opheliasyndrome »

I have been writing in a journal for about 3 years now. I tried both typing entries into one big word document, and writing in a notebook. As I go back and read my entries, I feel like the written journal is much more personal. Writing down whatever I'm thinking whenever I want to is a kind of catharsis for me. Even if I'm the only person that's going to read what I wrote, I feel like it preserves the person who I used to be, if only through writing. We're always changing and I would say we become a different person even just from month to month. I like to reflect on who I am and who I used to be so that I may improve the person I will become.

All in all, I say writing in a journal is a great way to improve your writing! If only to look back and see how a person thinks and what they discuss (Even if that person is you) I think that it could be used as a great model for characters if you're struggling! You know how you think, so perhaps use that as a character model. I've been told not to write with yourself as the main character and whether or not I agree with this, I still believe that if you find yourself unable to formulate and develop a character, you could always look to yourself for some inspiration. I've always been a fan of the 'write what you know' motto because each person is an individual with their own stories and way of seeing the world.

Ok I'm rambling now, so I'm going to stop :lol2:
Good luck to anyone trying to keep a journal for one reason or another!
MaryJones

Post by MaryJones »

No i dont write journal.
Alexzander23
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexzander23.html

Post by Alexzander23 »

I keep a journal for myself. I try to write in it as much as I can but of course I don't get to it every day. We humans get distracted quite easily. However, whenever I do have the chance to sit down and write, I always feel better for doing it. My journal entries tend to not have a whole lot to do with anything I did that day but rather the crazy things that run around in my head haha. I like to wrestle with my thoughts and enjoy digging into topics like consciousness, divine nature, conspiracies, music, meditations, drugs, war, peace, love and confusion; to name a few. I think about a lot of crap, and sometimes I feel like I would go crazy if I didn't have an outlet for it. You can't really talk to everybody about all the weird things in your head you know? Writing isn't just good for the relief it brings in my opinion. When you start to make a habit out of it, you can start to witness how it strengthens your own mind. It gives more clarity to your thoughts and allows for an easier cultivation, organization, and unique expression of those thoughts. Writing things down is the way we give life to the images and sentiments in our minds and hearts, and the more we do it, the better we get at it. Im really happy i started writing at a young age. I believe it has helped me out in my walk through life significantly :)

Return to “Writing Discussion”