Dealing with bad reviews

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Dealing with bad reviews

Post by moderntimes »

If the author is sensible and open minded, then sensible criticism can be a helpful impetus toward improving the writing.

Mindless bad reviews or (this seems to be a big source of bad reviews) the reviewer doesn't care for your genre or sub-genre, these can be tossed without consequence. Example, your mystery is a sedate, intellectual story (but well written) and the reviewer only likes slam-bang action thrillers and downgrades you accordingly.

Learning to discern the quality but critical reviews and taking that criticism to heart is one good step in the growth of a writer. Likewise, shabby bad reviews must be water off the duck's back and rightfully ignored.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
dreamwriter_reviews
Currently Reading: Before I Fall

Post by dreamwriter_reviews »

There will always be a mix of good and bad reviews don't let that stop your drive to bean author. I know it is difficult but you have to focus. For me I created a mind map. Use a search engine to identify what that is and how to use it if you do not know.
It is posted on my wall with two pieces of scotch tape - one on top, one on bottom. It motivates me seeing what I am aiming to achieve and why I feel strongly about writing or concept of my life's work.

Friends and family may not be forthcoming in true honesty because if they care for you they don't want you to feel bad. I would parent encouragement, advice for what seems to loose or unrelatable, offer suggestions and appeal to your good nature of accepting criticism without turning your raw emotions into doubt.

For me as a reader, I look at grammar first. Different genres, cultures have different ways of speaking but certain grammar laws are still intact. If grammar is difficult for you, write your story and then hire a proofreader like myself just to polish it up. Often times, my mom proofreads my work and she only asks that I do dishes or cook supper. Then I take the context of the story, is the author invested in these characters? Would he run and save the heroine if in trouble? Does the capacity of thrill and suspense meet the readers expectations? Can I see myself reading it in an hour or three hours? Will there be a sequel?

Don't worry to much about bad reviews sometimes its pure dislike for the genre or something not related to the author specifically.

Good luck.
5ngela
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5ngela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by 5ngela »

Bad review is not uncommon. Just move on
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

Because creative writing is artistic, I think one of the things new writers are taught is to write from your heart, and don't let the opinion of others interfere with your vision. But after taking many creative writing workshops and classes, on of the things I learned was that good writing is revised writing.

Through proper critique and proper revising, we don't destroy our original work but polish it and sculpt it into the best it can be. That requires seeing the flaws in it, and it's easier to see the flaws through others critique. All writers are limited, we're trapped in our minds and limited perspectives, so flaws in the writing are often not obvious to us at first. It's easier to see the flaws in others writing then it is to see the flaws in our own.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Thanks for being so honest with this topic! I think it's great that the reviews you got praised certain elements and criticized others. Criticism, especially with writing in a world where there are SO many books out there, can only make you better. I wouldn't necessarily discount your already published work, I would take the criticism and use it going forward, no one is perfect and a first try is always the hardest! Keep your head up, keep promoting, and keep working on your next piece!

Return to “Writing Discussion”