A poll about changing the rating system!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Do you want to change the rating sysytem?

Poll ended at 09 Dec 2015, 08:21

1. No, I like it as it is.
12%
2. I don't mind either way.
9%
3. Yes, I want to add 1/2 stars to the current rating system.
38%
4. Yes, I want to move to 5-star rating system.
41%

Total votes: 78

Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: A poll about changing the rating system!

Post by Ryan »

Wow ... this so intense! :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

We need more drama!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I agree! But nobody ever votes for it :(
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Such a shame.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Super weirdos :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Drama Queen. :eusa-whistle:

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I still think having seven separate designations (as in the half stars) is preferable to five.

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Agreed. You're pretty wise. ;)

Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I'd like to see something more than the basic 4-star system that's in place. As a new member used to 5-star systems I had to rethink several of the ratings when importing my "already reads" to my bookshelves (I only really frequent 2 other sites with any kind of regularity so it's not like I went through some massive ordeal or anything, it was just a mild inconvenience).

At the bottom end of the scale I don't have any issues with combining the 1-star and 2-star categories of a 5-star system into just plain 1-star ratings here using the 4-star system (I know, I'm on the verge of confusing myself at this point but I'm going somewhere with this so stick with me), it's when it comes to having formerly rated 3-star books (5-star system) converted to 2-star books (4-star system) that I feel the need to rethink the ratings. I've become so conditioned to think that 3 stars is about average - nothing special but not bad - that I have a hard time letting some of my old ratings stand and end up upgrading them which in turn kind of makes me feel like I'm doing a disservice to my higher rated books (and, yes, I'm fully aware that I'm probably overthinking the whole thing).

Anyway, after reading through the thread I voted for the half point system.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Redlegs wrote:I prefer a 5 point system. It is more common and I was surprised that this forum used a 4 point system. Personally, I use a 100 point system in the spreadsheets I keep for the books I have read. I really like to split hairs. :geek:

I never thought of using a spreadsheet... Sounds like it would really help. I'll have to check into the idea!! Without expecting a long answer, did it take you long to set up the system? I'm a detail perseon and it seems like breaking it down into spreadsheet specifics would make the review process even easier than it is now.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Ramona wrote:
Redlegs wrote:I prefer a 5 point system. It is more common and I was surprised that this forum used a 4 point system. Personally, I use a 100 point system in the spreadsheets I keep for the books I have read. I really like to split hairs. :geek:

I never thought of using a spreadsheet... Sounds like it would really help. I'll have to check into the idea!! Without expecting a long answer, did it take you long to set up the system? I'm a detail perseon and it seems like breaking it down into spreadsheet specifics would make the review process even easier than it is now.
My spreadsheets have developed over a few years and cover all sorts of things. But it can be very simple. Just use an Excel spreadsheet (or similar), list the books you read (title and author), have a column for a score (using whatever points system suits you) and perhaps a 'comments' column so you can add a few words about what you thought of the book. As I finish a book, I add it to the bottom of the list, and then 'sort' on the score column, so the books are sorted in order of preference. I adopted a 100 point system so I could differentiate between books more finely - a book with 86 points means I liked it just a little better than one with 85 points. Once you have a meaningful list, it's about making a judgement about where another book fits on your list - I liked book X a bit more than book Y but not quite as much as book Z. It works for me. :D
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Graverobber wrote:I still think having seven separate designations (as in the half stars) is preferable to five.
I do as well.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Redlegs wrote:
Ramona wrote:

My spreadsheets have developed over a few years and cover all sorts of things. But it can be very simple. Just use an Excel spreadsheet (or similar), list the books you read (title and author), have a column for a score (using whatever points system suits you) and perhaps a 'comments' column so you can add a few words about what you thought of the book. As I finish a book, I add it to the bottom of the list, and then 'sort' on the score column, so the books are sorted in order of preference. I adopted a 100 point system so I could differentiate between books more finely - a book with 86 points means I liked it just a little better than one with 85 points. Once you have a meaningful list, it's about making a judgement about where another book fits on your list - I liked book X a bit more than book Y but not quite as much as book Z. It works for me. :D
Ok. It's really kind of awesome that you set up a 100 point system and track in your own spreadsheet! :mrgreen: Do you use tabs for different genres? I have a hard time comparing books that aren't at all alike. On the other hand depending on how you weigh the scores, maybe it doesn't matter. :eusa-think: I am also interested in if you score different aspects of the book to build the final score.

Just think you have more granularity with a 1/2 star system... :angelic-green:

-- 18 Nov 2015, 22:18 --

Can we add a 100 point system to the poll? :doh:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I vote for 33 1/3! :roll:

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

rssllue wrote:I vote for 33 1/3! :roll:
I vote for 9 and 3/4 :wink: