Subject to Read and Write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

If you have ever considered writing, how far have you got...

an idea
8%
an outline
8%
a few paragraphs/pages
31%
rough draft
15%
copy ready for review
8%
published
31%

Total votes: 13

TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Subject to Read and Write?

Post by TangledinText »

First off an easy question, what is your favorite genre to read? Currently I enjoy New Adult and romance.

Do you have a separate genre that you prefer reviewing? Do you have something specific you enjoy including in the reviews, like romance reviews I rate the men on boyfriend material.

Lastly, if you could write a book what genre would it be. If I wasn't a Type A, crazy perfectionist and could get a little creative I would love to write a New Adult romance because I don't have the experience or imagination to write an adult romance :)

Since I am not very creative I have actually started a few paragraphs into a type of depression autobiography. What are you writing about?
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

I write on a bunch of topics! I write non-fiction, mainly about negative affect (mourning, melancholia, etc) in coming of age narratives. But, I also write fiction: I'm currently working on too many short stories (some realist, some sci-fi, some fantasy), poetry, and a dystopian sci-fi novel. I'm not type A at all, and so I find writing rough drafts really easy (but have a hard time making myself put in the time to do detail work, so there's the tradeoff).
callsign: unknown
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Being an adult I read adult books. I read all sorts of nonfiction -- history and biography plus books on science. For fiction, I enjoy some mainstream authors, SF, and mystery / thriller genre. I especially like the American private detective novel.

And therefore I am writing a series of modern American PI novels and recently signed a 3-book contract with a conventional publisher who will be publishing all 3 novels in both trade paperback and e-book. I'm now working on the 4th novel in the series.

I've also written magazine articles, short stories, and essays, some of which have been purchased and published.

So I guess "published" is my reply.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, my favorite genre to read is YA whodunit. Those are the easiest books for me to stay focused on, because the mystery of who the bad guy is keeps me engaged. A few favorite authors of this genre: Natalie D Richards, Megan Miranda, and Gretchen McNeil. Christopher Pike, who wrote in the '90's but is still writing new stuff too, is another favorite.

You know, there is something that I enjoy including in reviews: atmosphere! So many reviewers overlook it, but I like to include it. Where did the book take you? Was it a wonderful place where you wanted to stay? Did the imagery transport you to another world?

Another thing I like to include in a review is writing ability. I've encountered a large number of officially-published YA books that are terribly written, and I think that if you're officially published and therefore have a huge staff of editors at your disposal, there's just no good excuse. It bugs me a lot.

Good question!

My books are about 'tweeners (12- and 13-year olds), but I still haven't figured out what genre they are!! :o

For new books, I'm considering YA whodunit, or romance, or adult general fiction, or psychological thriller, but I haven't started a new project yet, and I'm not committed to anything new at this time. :-)

I'm not type-A either, I don't think... hold on, that's interesting, I'm going to look it up real fast. Wow, that's weird. I took a quick quiz and I was right down the middle. I answered half-and-half.
pratap_km
Currently Reading: London
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratap-km.html

Post by pratap_km »

It actually depends in my case. Though I like to read everything under the sun (apart from probably romantic novels like Mills and Boons) but it is the mood of the week that decides it. My preference though is classic literature, historical fiction, adventure and crime novel. Lately I have developed a test for Autobiographies as well.

No I have not started writing yet and hope to start someday.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I am in the rough draft part of my first book now and a few pages into my second and third books.

I love to read any kind of romance, but over all I enjoy most all genres. I typically fall into the paranormal when it comes to writing though!
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

pratap_km wrote:It actually depends in my case. Though I like to read everything under the sun (apart from probably romantic novels like Mills and Boons) but it is the mood of the week that decides it. My preference though is classic literature, historical fiction, adventure and crime novel. Lately I have developed a test for Autobiographies as well.

No I have not started writing yet and hope to start someday.
Let me make a recommendation. If you tell yourself that you "hope" to start writing some day, it will likely never occur.

What you should instead tell yourself is "I AM a writer!" and this will help you actually start. Hoping to someday start drains energies. Actually believing that you're writing -- even if it's a rough draft or outline of a book -- that will push you forward.

And Trisha, keep plugging away on that rough draft and hone and fine tune it and make it the best you can. I'm now at work on my 4th novel and I try to do a little each day, even it it's reviewing and revising an earlier chapter. Right now I've also got 3 novels being professionally published (not self published) and this is so much fun! Don't give up -- keep working!
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I voted "a few paragraphs/pages," but it's actually more like 20 to 25 pages. I have gotten that far on numerous books. That seems to be the point where, to keep going with the quality that I would want to, it would take a full-time commitment, and I've never got the time.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

holdon, I wrote TWO full length private eye novels while working full time as an engineering consultant for large oil firms, working to create and edit high-tech specifications.

This mean plenty of evenings burning the midnight oil and not doing much else during the more intense times, but eventually they were finished, and were eventually SOLD. So yeah, it takes a real push and strong effort, but it can be done.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

If I live long enough, I expect a season of life to arrive when I can finish novels by the methods you describe. My season right now is: young family, moving house almost every year, 3 active small boys.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Ah -- raising an active family. That explains it. Take your time and focus on the family, of course.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I knew I could count on you for inspiring words. :-) Have a good one.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, I know where you're coming from. In 1969 I met this lovely gal who was raising 2 young boys after her no-good alky hubbie dumped her. We fell in love and I also loved those two little boys, so it was instant family for me. Now of course they are both granddads themselves and so I'm a step-great-granddad and totally understand the challenge of rearing kids and keeping a family together. That's the correct job for you now, and best luck for that. The writing can wait.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Good words, my friend.

Boy parents unite! :-D
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

One of the nicest revenges to effect upon your now-grown male kids is to visit them, borrow their cars, leave them unlocked in the driveway with an empty gas tank, and drink up all the beer in their fridge.

Return to “Writing Discussion”