Need some help on writing a book!

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
bored_girl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Need some help on writing a book!

Post by bored_girl »

Hi there!
I hope all is well with you all. One of my close friend plans to write a book on protecting and improving the environment. Can you please help me out with suggesting some books on discussing ways to save the environment for online and offline reading that could help my friend write effectively by getting some fresh ideas.
Any information would be great.
Thank you
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

Naomi Klein's "This Changes Everything" is a good place to start. Is your friennd an environmental scientist or researcher?
callsign: unknown
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Depends on the scope of the book. If "protecting the environment" will be on a personal level, then address the small things which we can do to help. Recycling is of course a certainty but there would be many other tricks and assists that the average person can use.

For example, many people think that using paper instead of plastic bags is more environmentally sound. But modern plastics are designed to degrade and using plastic doesn't use trees, after all. It's right now a toss-up as to which is better. Little things like that.

If the book however is about a larger environmental stance, then it must focus on politics and influencing legislation and environmental controls, and similar actions.

The book might of course combine both local and large scale behavior.

Regardless, the book MUST be hard core scientifically correct. Using "everyone knows" hints might be right and might be wrong. So recommendations for specific actions need to be researched carefully with the latest info (example the paper vs plastic bags).

And of course, try to find various new ideas and new approaches and not just write a bandwagon book -- there are lots of those and a new one will likely never be published unless it says new and interesting things, or says them in a new way. This is critical for any book, fiction or nonfiction.

And good luck.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
bored_girl

Post by bored_girl »

Ursula_Minor wrote:Naomi Klein's "This Changes Everything" is a good place to start. Is your friennd an environmental scientist or researcher?
Dear Ursula thanks for your feedback. My friend is a researcher and a new author so he needs some guideline to educate himself and get his book published. He is passionate about environment and wants to contribute in doing something that could help generate awareness and in removing the negative from the environment.

-- 12 Sep 2015, 06:31 --
moderntimes wrote:Depends on the scope of the book. If "protecting the environment" will be on a personal level, then address the small things which we can do to help. Recycling is of course a certainty but there would be many other tricks and assists that the average person can use.

For example, many people think that using paper instead of plastic bags is more environmentally sound. But modern plastics are designed to degrade and using plastic doesn't use trees, after all. It's right now a toss-up as to which is better. Little things like that.

If the book however is about a larger environmental stance, then it must focus on politics and influencing legislation and environmental controls, and similar actions.

The book might of course combine both local and large scale behavior.

Regardless, the book MUST be hard core scientifically correct. Using "everyone knows" hints might be right and might be wrong. So recommendations for specific actions need to be researched carefully with the latest info (example the paper vs plastic bags).

And of course, try to find various new ideas and new approaches and not just write a bandwagon book -- there are lots of those and a new one will likely never be published unless it says new and interesting things, or says them in a new way. This is critical for any book, fiction or nonfiction.

And good luck.
Dear ModernTimes Thank you for all the useful tips.These were one of the best writing tips i found on the internet.I think these are the points anyone should consider before getting started.I will keep you all updated from time to time in order to get more information. Best regards

-- 12 Sep 2015, 06:40 --
Ursula_Minor wrote:Naomi Klein's "This Changes Everything" is a good place to start. Is your friennd an environmental scientist or researcher?
Dear Ursula thanks for your feedback. My friend is a researcher and a new author so he needs some guideline to educate himself and get his book published. He is passionate about environment and wants to contribute in doing something that could help generate awareness and in removing the negative from the environment.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

My other recommendation is to not preach or "smash & burn" too much. Nobody wants to be yelled at. Persuasion via good sense and logic should be more effective, as I see it. Try to be as reasoned as possible and stick with cool logic and scientific data when making a point.

Just a suggestion.

And I understand that there are many who are completely ready to close all refineries and go "back to nature" but doing so would mean that about 90% of the world population would soon starve to death, were we to revert to subsistence farming -- that can only support a smaller amount of people. Like or not, until we develop fusion power, there is simply not enough energy in sun-power photocells to generate enough power to drive cargo vessels, trains, or semi trucks. And all of those are elemental in feeding the larger world population. Some of the more hard-core environmentalists just don't see that fact -- we cannot feed the billions on sunpower or windpower cargo ships and trains. The energy conversion just isn't there. So maybe a balanced approach, more natural gas and less coal, for example, as fuel. What I'm saying is that beating someone over the head with an agenda which is too farfetched for real world applications may not be the better route.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “Writing Discussion”