Should I blog?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ginger_Julie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginger-julie.html

Should I blog?

Post by Ginger_Julie »

I was wondering how beneficial blogging could be? As a writer, I would love to start a writing blog of one-shots, reviews, writing tips, favorite authors, etc. Anything a writer would appreciate. Just to get an opinion, is this something that I should start doing?
CJBrightley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjbrightley.html

Post by CJBrightley »

I enjoy blogging, but I try not to put pressure on myself about it. Blogging is a fun addition to my website... it's not my writing career. I write about books I'm reading, characters I love, my own writing projects (scenes, new releases, character interviews, etc.), and I've even been able to share some fan art that a reader made!

I blog because I enjoy it. I'm not sure that there's any discernible, quantifiable benefit to my writing career from blogging. It is a good way to keep writing on shorter pieces when you're taking a break from a novel or something.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

l'm similar to CJ. I have a blog page on my website and I update it regularly.

What purpose does it serve? It gives potential readers info on my upcoming mystery novels (the 3 existing books are scheduled for publication this fall). And so it may help sales. And should I receive decent reviews I'll include them on the blog, with links.

That's just good sense.

But your question Julie is really this -- not should I blog but actually "Why should I blog?" So the question comes back to you -- what would the purpose of your blog be? And if you can answer that question then you'll also know whether to blog at all, and if the answer is "yes" then you'll also know what to put into your blog.

I'll offer this --- most folks really aren't interested much in personal info, what you had for lunch or what you watched on TV. But since this is a writer's forum, then yes, your blog needs to focus on what you're reading, your thoughts about that, writing tips as you say, and so on. This makes perfect sense.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
sphillips44
Favorite Author: Deirdre Martin
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sphillips44.html
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
fav_author_id: 20173

Post by sphillips44 »

Would having a blog for book reviews help you to create a 'review portfolio' of sorts? I've read in a few different articles that it's a great way to get your name out there and to be taken seriously, but that's also if you work with the publisher or author I believe. I'm still learning all of the different aspects of this field, but it seems like it could be beneficial to have a blog set up.
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, regarding book reviews in general, anyone working in conjunction with the publisher or author cannot be taken seriously and if the reviewer's name becomes known as a shill, future reviews will be suspect. That's evident, blog or not.

Book reviews are a good way to become known but you must then post the reviews under your real name for there to be any further movement via those reviews. Many people on forums use pseudonyms and this is very understandable. But a "legit" reviewer needs to write under a real name eventually.

A review portfolio nevertheless would be a pretty good way for the reviewer to become known as reliable. You might wish to read thru the recent thread I started, "What constitutes an unfair review" and other similar threads here so as to gain some insight on how to present your reviews in the best light. Even if the review is informal and short, it needs to be presented in a professional way.

Let's face it --- with the advent of the internet and forums like this one, many newbies are "out there" with their own writing in far greater numbers than could have ever been via conventional print journalism. And this is a good thing. But there's also the "danger" that unskilled writers may post inadvertently goofy things which might establish them as unreliable or unprofessional.

Now by "unprofessional" I mean not a high-blown elite attitude but the simple presentation of clear, coherent writing that's fairly well organized and scrubbed clean of any typos or other errors. And the somewhat "professional" attitude in that writing about the subject. Blogging with a bunch of "high school" reviews written too hastily and that are sloppy can maybe be fun to read but don't serve the person well if trying to establish any sort of upgrade in opinion. And you specifically say "be taken seriously" so this is what I'm focusing on. If you (and I'm speaking in the "group you" way, not you personally) wish to get your name under the attention of others in the field, you need to establish a professional attitude from the beginning, even if your reviews are brief and informal. Informal they may be but they cannot be sloppy and senseless.

Of course this all depends on what the objectives are. If you're just being cordial and trying to enjoy posting things and having fun feedback, that's one thing. But if you intend for your blog (reviews or not) to be directed toward establishing yourself as "well known" then you must approach the blog with a more formal attitude. That's your decision. If for example you have a few short stories or maybe a novel that you want to work toward publication of, then the blog must be such that you establish that sort of profile for yourself.

Neither type of blog (informal or more "professional") is better than the other. It's just a question of the end purpose of that blogging. If you only want to enjoy yourself ("Girls just wanna have fun" ha ha) then that's okay. But if your objective is to establish yourself as a "real" writer, your blogging must present that sort of posture. It's your decision.

I can't post my own website link or blog here, as I'm a professional novelist with books to sell, but if you PM me I'll give you the link to my website so you can see what a more "professional" type of blog is like, versus other blogs which are very informal. And yes, I joke and post very casual and fun stuff in my blog as well, but it's directed toward my own writing nonetheless and is definitely geared such that casual browsers might be interested in my novels (when they're published this fall).
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I have a blog on my website that I post to each week. I like to alternate between sharing writing tip or ideas and other ideas simply for fun. I do it as a way to keep my website current.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I have a writing blog, as well, and I think it's really helped me get my work recognition on a LOCAL level. It also helps me write more and work on marketing and branding while i'm still such a "small fry." Lastly, I think blogs, if done professionally, are great portfolios to get a publisher or organization to truly consider your work.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Even for a professionally published writer (me), I'm obligated to update my website and urged by my publisher to post regular additions to my blog which is part of my website.

I don't think that blogging is any real help to me personally but i still owe it to my millions of loyal readers! (like yeah, the 20 people who actually take an interest in my writing, ha ha) -- but hopefully with the professional publicity I'll get from my new publisher, I'd maybe double that fandom? Perhaps 50 buyers?
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Excellent response, Johan.

I'd missed the point of this too. The real question is not "should" but "why" and you're spot on. If there's no real obvious purpose in blogging then the person may as well write into their "dear diary" instead. The purpose of a blog is for others to read it, and so that correctly begs the issue, which people and why would they read it?
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

I think if it is something you want to do, then you should do it. You should think about the reason behind wanting to blog too because at the end of the day that will serve as your motivation to continue when or if you encounter obstacles.
I just started blogging for a couple weeks now because I wanted to have a forum to share my opinion on books I have read and share what I am reading or looking forward to read with the world. It is not a business venture for me per se but if it does lead to opportunities , that would be awesome. However, even if it doesn't I would still blog because my main motivation is just sharing my love of books.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
WilliamsQ

Post by WilliamsQ »

A blog is a pleasure in and of itself, so I would say yes. If you enjoy writing, there is no reason not to. At worst it's great practice, and experience. At best you might find some success.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Having a blog is fine. I've got a blog page on my website, where I post info on my book publication upcoming and also random reflections on various books I've read, TV show themes, and so on. It is however a means to an end for a "real" writer and the primary job of a writer is to create new stories. If a newbie or wannabe writer uses a blog as an escape from finishing that essay or short story or article or maybe writing another chapter on the new novel in progress, then a blog is counterproductive.

As was very well stated, "Why?" is the operative word in "Should I blog?"
WilsoRoy

Post by WilsoRoy »

I like writing, and i like blogging.
CornishViking
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornishviking.html

Post by CornishViking »

Depends. Blogging is fun but other marketing methods sell more books. I like blogging but it does depend what you hope to get out of it
AbigailFTaylor
Currently Reading: The Star Scroll
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigailftaylor.html

Post by AbigailFTaylor »

A lot of agents these days want writers to have a solid online platform. I have an Al-Anon blog, a travel blog, and a book blog (which is updated the most) but I don't work at them enough to count them as a platform /strong online presence. So if you want to do it to exercise the writing muscles OR to create a fan base it's up to you. I will say though that a blog to build a platform takes constant work and it might suck you away from other writings.

Return to “Writing Discussion”