Should I blog?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Sarahjaklyn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Should I blog?

Post by Sarahjaklyn »

I think if your even a little tech savvy, blogging is a good way to work on your writing from anywhere
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I blog and I love it. It's a great way to improve your writing and get involved in the community.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

I don't understand about blogging, Do you have to have your own website? I would like to try it but don't know how, Is there a book that explains it?
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
kimie
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimie.html

Post by kimie »

yeah if that's what you're really into. I think you should start it with your passion first. Good things will come. good luck^^
Lovebookpeace

Post by Lovebookpeace »

Writing is a good way to improve as a writer. However, I know that writing without a feedback will not help you. Do you have someone to edit your writing before you post? Or are you planning to post blogs without feedback?

I'd say if you want to improve your writing, submit your writing in a place where you can receive constructive feedback.
tempebrown
Currently Reading: Escaping Tranquil
Bookshelf Size: 131

Post by tempebrown »

If that's your passion and you have the time, by all means. It's a commitment, however, especially if you have a following.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I mainly use my blog for things like napowrimo and octpowrimo, and the occasional book review and nano spiel and announce the rare piece published somewhere. I could probably do more with it (and should; sometimes it's silent for months at a time) but commitments to other things take time away from that and I don't want to pressure yourself. In the end, it's how much time you're willing to invest and what you're willing to post - keeping in mind first publishing rites if you post pieces (since that limits the markets you can try publishing to afterwards). Hence why I don't publish any prose and not most of my poems - I want to edit them and see if they can find a home somewhere else.

If you do want to be consistent, one thing you can do is set a goal - say, one post a day or week or something, and alternate between publishing writing pieces, writing tips, book reviews and whatever else you can think of. Have a goal that's achievable, backlog when you have more time on your hands and see if you can keep up a steady stream and attract readers. And make use of tags to make it more searchable. And you might find new friends or critiques as well through that.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Yolanda Denise
Currently Reading: In the Fullness of Time
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolanda-denise.html

Post by Yolanda Denise »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I blog and I love it. It's a great way to improve your writing and get involved in the community.
I totally agree. On my blog, I generally write reviews of spiritual books, and sometimes share updates on what's going on in my life.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Go for it! I think that having a blog will help you grow as a writer. I've been thinking about starting one myself.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think you should blog because its good exposure for your work, helps build a fan base but more than that, it'll keep you writing almost every day.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

CJBrightley wrote:I enjoy blogging, but I try not to put pressure on myself about it. Blogging is a fun addition to my website... it's not my writing career. I write about books I'm reading, characters I love, my own writing projects (scenes, new releases, character interviews, etc.), and I've even been able to share some fan art that a reader made!

I blog because I enjoy it. I'm not sure that there's any discernible, quantifiable benefit to my writing career from blogging. It is a good way to keep writing on shorter pieces when you're taking a break from a novel or something.
"I blog because I enjoy it." Nailed it! This is the greatest factor for me. <3
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

It can be wonderful to be a blogger but there are responsibilities such as regular check ups.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

It can be wonderful to be a blogger but there are responsibilities with it such as regular check ups.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.
Doxiedoc12
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doxiedoc12.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Doxiedoc12 »

I am looking for inspiration for my blog. Does anyone have good recommendations of whose to read?
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Ginger_Julie wrote: 29 Aug 2015, 21:36 I was wondering how beneficial blogging could be? As a writer, I would love to start a writing blog of one-shots, reviews, writing tips, favorite authors, etc. Anything a writer would appreciate. Just to get an opinion, is this something that I should start doing?
One of my favorite quotes-- ironically I can't remember it verbatim right now-- is about writing for YOU! If you enjoy writing and it brings you happiness to get your words OUT THERE, so to speak--- DO IT!! I tossed the idea around for about a year myself, and I now have my own blog with very few followers at the moment, but I do it because I enjoy the act of writing and I was finally ready to get my words out in the cyber world! :techie-reference: Best of luck!

Return to “Writing Discussion”