When do you write your best material?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: When do you write your best material?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's fascinating. No, I don't mind getting you started, unless you mind. Where else am I going to hear interesting stuff like this?
dancingpinkpony
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingpinkpony.html

Post by dancingpinkpony »

It sounds strange, but I do my best work when I'm really sad or undergoing some extreme turmoil. Somehow it just makes writing seem more realistic.
JCFindley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JCFindley »

Honestly when I'm a little tipsy
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Tipsy? I've found that I do tend to rip out a lot of stuff after I've had a few, but the next day, reading it, I realize it's pretty awful.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I write my best material when my life is going well. Extreme emotion just drags my writing into the ground, although I usually don't attempt it at that point--I just try to get some good rest. But my best writing is when my life is just swimming along.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It used to be good for me when I was upset to write, but it rarely ever was good writing in of itself. I find now, that whether it is a "good" or "bad" day, doesn't really have much effect either way on my writing. (As long as it is not extreme one way or the other.)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kaelahhill
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaelahhill.html

Post by Kaelahhill »

I write my best material when I have nothing else on my mind. When it feels as if theres nothing in the world standing beteween me and my laptop. I write my best material on rainy days when i'm snuggled up in bed and on snowy days when i'm cozied up next to the blazing fire. I write my best material when i'm all alone and theres nothing to distract me. I write at my best when im just being me.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That was inspirational and cozy. Welcome to the forum!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:That was inspirational and cozy. Welcome to the forum!
Agreed! 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I am a procrastinator by nature, so if I know I have plenty of time to get something done I tend to put it off. So, I, like moderntimes, work best under pressure with a deadline fast approaching. I can't necessarily say this turns out to be my "best" work, since I leave little time to proofread or get other opinions on things. Depending on what I am writing, I also find things flow best when I am emotionally triggered and/or when I am passionate about something. And sometimes inspiration just hits me or I get on a creative streak.
Journey beyond the jacket.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Since I last commented I've been up to my ears in editing. I signed a publishing contract for all 3 of my private detective novels and I've been going back and forth with their editing staff on proofing my books and developing the cover art, author bio, all the other stuff.

So I have been extra busy. I am also working on my 4th novel too. Whew.

Wednesday (2 days ago) I sent my final review of the galley proofs back to the publisher for my 1st novel which will be published later this September. They're also already working on the 2nd and 3rd novels and so I'll be immersed in review and editing the texts for the next 2-3 months.

Keeps me busy and out of my girlfriend's hair, ha ha.

What I've really done in the last year is to restructure my writing. As I'm now retired except for an occasional spot contract for engineering consulting, I have no set schedule. And so I could laze about and watch my DVD complete Monty Pythons but I've been rather diligent of late getting myself into writing on a regular basis. I try to write something each day or at the very least review what I've written earlier.

So right now I'm doing my best writing days, 8am till maybe 3pm with occasional breaks to do the email and annoy people in forums. Hey, on my new book I've now got about 5000 good words. Now all that's needed is the insignificant and trivial 70,000 other remaining words. A snap. Not.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I work very well under personal deadlines, and not so well under deadlines imposed by other people. I know it sounds silly, but i guess i have a bit of rebel in me :)
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, if you've ever worked under a genuine deadline, you understand the situation. By a "real" deadline I mean something real. At my more recent job we had a project due which we needed to submit to the oil company because they were due to launch a huge new drilling rig and needed our input.

So we booked some late nights and take-home and got the project on time, earned a big bonus which of course our boss split with all who worked on the task. That's a REAL deadline.

I did clinical lab work while in college. I'd get a "stat" order for a "T&C" (type and crossmatch on a blood sample) because the patient had been badly injured in a car wreck, was headed to surgery, and needed 4-5 pints of whole blood for the operation ready, or the surgeon couldn't make that first cut.

So for me, if my publisher asks me to finish my review of my 2nd novel so it can go to final proofread prior to galley proofing, I'm there and ready to do it. Getting published is a team effort and any author who thinks "Hey, I just sold my book! All the hard work is behind me!" has zero idea of the commitment needed from both the author and the publisher's staff.

I surely don't advocate rushing. But a reasoned approach with some personal discipline to effect a solid and reliable "product" is a good idea, I think.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

EmJo21 wrote:When do you write your best material?
I usually write my best pieces when I'm stressed or under a deadline. As silly as it sounds I feel more pressured to focus on my works when there is a deadline, and I write as a stress relief so when I'm stressed I turn my pent up energy into the words I put on paper.
Sometimes deadlines help me. I had many fine works in exam conditions. But of late, if I don't manage my time and have to have *something* out... It can be a little less than my preferred ideal.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Self discipline is required, I think. We might create for ourselves a deadline system to better urge ourselves along.

Right now, I'm working on my 4th novel, and there's no real deadline except that I'd like to get the book done by spring. I therefore work on my book a little each day. This may be reviewing chapters I've written, maybe some research, or just writing and proofreading a couple of new chapters.

Regardless, I keep on truckin' and that's what matters.

Return to “Writing Discussion”