Does anyone write out of revenge?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tracysherwood
Currently Reading: Death Grip
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does anyone write out of revenge?

Post by tracysherwood »

Comics are some of the angriest, passive-aggressive people around. But instead of lashing out...they laugh it out loud. Punch lines as punching bags, as it were.

-- 30 Jul 2015, 12:57 --

I posted this on twitter a few weeks ago about the saying: "Stay calm and don't get angry."

My response: Then I would have nothing to write about.

So is writing really about revenge...or, is it some kind of justice?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Welcome to the forum! I agree about comics. That may be why I've never been a fan of stand-up comedy or any other form of hard-core comedy aside from old nineties sitcoms. Too much hostility.

I wouldn't say that writing is revenge... I like the term "poetic justice." :eusa-think: It's a thing of beauty.
tracysherwood

Post by tracysherwood »

Thanks for the welcome!

"Poetic justice" ...very nice. :)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! Stick around and have some fun! :-)
tracysherwood

Post by tracysherwood »

Thank you!
hyrumseries
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyrumseries.html

Post by hyrumseries »

Yes! All the time! Even if I don't use specific people, sometimes I'll use the incident itself as inspiration--turning a negative into a positive. It's fun to twist the scenarios into fantastic events and be in absolute control of it. Therapy? Maybe. Satisfying? Definitely.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I've occasionally revenged myself by creating a book character with some of the personality traits of the real person, and then killing that character off in a very rude way. Writing mysteries is fun!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Gabsmilesmart23

Post by Gabsmilesmart23 »

in mental science. it is about putting application in your life and will help put whats in your head on paper. so it wouldn't hurt for all writers to have a fundamental understanding of its laws and teachings, however
from what I know in this field of science, negative thoughts can hurt your creative development and will stunt and increase writers block
your overall development will take damage. may even drive you into quitting in a fit. because bad thoughts/emotions will only serve to make more apparent and frequent other bad emotions, like stunting creativity and increasing writers block and more struggle and strife, until you inevitable quit. on the other hand positive thoughts have positive consequences and will increase your creative capacity in abundance, accelerate your development of skill, and bring about positive consequences. all in all. bad thoughts and emotions bring about only bad consequences . while good thoughts and emotions bring about only good consequences. its a truth of science. the basic law of cause and effect.
We are all bound by it.
just as revenge is considered a limited and closed action in life. it is a limiting and closed action for the mind.
it will limit you in that very same compacity in the long run too. so if you get writers block in a week it could be because of those closed, narrow and negativly impacting thoughts that now a prevelant writing traits and qualities you had chosen to develop over a week ago and still limit you now.

If you want to grow as a writer and be an open and receptive person to positive input and outcome.
don't limit and close your mind with the development of bad and negative writing habbits.
that will cost you in the long run.:)

Remember. The Law of Cause And Effect. Is a scientifically proven truth and constant in the universe.
negative thoughts or (Cause) will bring about limited and negative consequences in there (Effect).
its a matter of universal scientific fact not opinion. the same goes for good thoughts in there cause bring only good results in there effect. its scientifically concrete and proven.:)
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

So Gab, how's your own writing? Do you write novels or short stories or what? How's it been, getting your writing published? In other words, how has "mental science" assisted you with your own writing? I've got a 3-book contract with my publisher and haven't employed mental science (howsoever that is defined) in doing so, 3 soon-to-be published novels with about 15,000 words on the 4th right now, which I'm currently writing.

Per writer's block, I never have it. I've learned several tricks to get myself around this. All of these are just techniques for writing and aren't very scientific.

By the way, the Law of Cause and Effect is valid for a Newtonian universe and is of little value in science today, with the entry of quantum theory and the uncertainty principle, how Planck events modify the "clockwork" theory which was prominent since Euclid and exemplified by Newton and others in his era. That's all gone out the door now.

The concept of "negative" thoughts is not elemental for a writer. We're not talking here about harboring real world grudges or hateful attitudes toward real people. We're talking in a fairly humorous way about seeking some sort of low-level and fairly harmless "revenge" upon some likely imaginary but fanciful foe. Not the real thing.

Smiley faces notwithstanding, writing is a developed skill which is founded on the person's innate talent and brains. It's like learning to play the piano in some ways.

The term "mental science" to me, at least, sounds a lot like pop psychology. Or maybe I'm wrong -- how does the term "science" enter into the theory? As a degreed chemist with considerable experience in biology as well, I'm curious. Please elaborate.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Wow, what a fun thread!

I admit to having my characters have arguments in which they get to say what I "shoulda said" in a real-life argument. I like to be right, so my point of view always wins the argument when I am vent/writing. I don't kill my antagonists, I just make them look really, really bad. Like I wish they looked to everyone else in real life.

Gosh, when I write that out, it looks so ugly. Way worse that killing off your characters in gruesome ways.

I am not the only one, though. G.K. Chesterton can make the atheists and pagans looks really rabid in some of his Father Brown stories. Come to think of it, this tendency is pretty common in books that have a strong ideological theme. Just look at Ayn Rand.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I checked it out. "Mental Science" is not scientific at all. It's a 19th century "new wave" (at that time) philosophical mode which uses what was a trendy "scientific" movement. It was very peaceful and was focused in employing the newly discovered psychological tenets and looked to use them to help people advance humanely. A bit like some of the semi-religious philosophical "churches" like the Unitarian Universalists. A sort of mental discipline technique to use universal power of the almighty force in the universe and tap into it for strength and discipline.

Well meaning and benign as it is, I really doesn't teach you to write better. But I suppose that better conquering your innate fears of writing and such could be alleviated by this.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Not yet.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Yes however I usually scrap it because once I spill all my anger onto the page, the whole thing just kind of looses steam. Then I get left with a major headache and no idea what to write about in continuance of said anger. There's my writers block happens all the time. I'm working on changing that though! I'm working on a novel now and am at 2.5k words!
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Never write out of revenge for any sustaining or continuing thing. Temporary is okay and maybe a bit of fun, a way to put a feud or difficult event behind you, as sort of working therapy. So long as you keep a sense of humor about it.

But to formulate an entire novel or lengthy premise on revenge? Childish and wasteful. As for venting, fine. Just learn to turn the major portion of your frustration onto a more productive line of writing. So Trisha, you're correct. Keep plugging away, too. As the author of 3 novels and the 4th in progress, i can tell you that for each novel the first 70,000 words are the hard part. After that, it's easy, ha ha.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

moderntimes wrote:Never write out of revenge for any sustaining or continuing thing. Temporary is okay and maybe a bit of fun, a way to put a feud or difficult event behind you, as sort of working therapy. So long as you keep a sense of humor about it.

But to formulate an entire novel or lengthy premise on revenge? Childish and wasteful. As for venting, fine. Just learn to turn the major portion of your frustration onto a more productive line of writing. So Trisha, you're correct. Keep plugging away, too. As the author of 3 novels and the 4th in progress, i can tell you that for each novel the first 70,000 words are the hard part. After that, it's easy, ha ha.

I agree. That's why everything i write eventually gets scrapped. I usually save it for a journal, put pen to paper rather than typing it up. Typing it would probably be better ( save trees) but there is just something about actually writing when you are angry.

When I get frustrated or angry I avoid working on the story I am working on. Saves a headache and keeps it from going sour.

Return to “Writing Discussion”