Books or Ebooks?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
monkey-business
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkey-business.html

Books or Ebooks?

Post by monkey-business »

What is the best to write? And why?
kaykay1216
Currently Reading: Kept
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaykay1216.html

Post by kaykay1216 »

I prefer books, but technology is becoming a huge factor to ordinary lives of people today. To evolve with this change, Ebooks would be the best to write.
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

I prefer reading books, but I think writing ebooks is easier. With an ebook, it doesn't really matter how long your book is because the thickness isn't present to degrade it.
MaySage
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MaySage »

It does depend on the public you're writing for - for example, I'm writing contemporary women fiction: I definitely need eBooks.
But the best bet is to do both :) if you use CreateSpace, the conversion from one to the other is incredibly painless

-- 20 Jun 2015, 11:28 --

It does depend on the public you're writing for - for example, I'm writing contemporary women fiction: I definitely need eBooks.
But the best bet is to do both :) if you use CreateSpace, the conversion from one to the other is incredibly painless
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I agree with MaySage. I do both: Kindle and paperback. I prefer paperbacks myself--of everything. Books I buy, the books I myself write, etc. But eBooks is the wave of the future, so I offer that too. Amazon does make it easy. Well, there's a learning curve with the formatting of both options.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

monkey, it doesn't matter. Just write the book, and when it's sold and published, your publisher will both print it and issue e-books, usually simultaneously. It's not a decision you have to make because your publisher will do both on your behalf.

-- 20 Jul 2015, 20:17 --

For example, the small publisher who just agreed to offer me a contract for my 3 private detective novels will be both printing them in "trade paperback" format and also e-book, probably offering them at the same time. Or maybe, the print version first followed by the Kindle version shortly afterward. This time gap allows print sales to generate more steadily, since bookstores are a critical element in sales figures, even nowadays.

Incidentally, royalties for the author usually are in the neighborhood of 20%-25% for print, and upwards of 40% for e-book sales, but this varies depending on the advance, low, high, or not at all.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Connoisseur
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connoisseur.html

Post by Connoisseur »

Both. You presumably want to reach as large of an audience as you can.
Hatter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatter.html

Post by Hatter »

I have always and, most likely, will always prefer the physical nature of "real" books. I love the smell of them, the look of them, and the feel of them as I hold them and turn the pages. That being said, when I was in the US Air Force, I traveled a lot and you just can't carry a load of books to read. I would buy the e-books because of convenience and if I liked it, I would buy a physical copy.
pauljeday
Publishing Contest Votes: 25

Post by pauljeday »

As far as writing is concerned they are both the same, though Kindle format is getting easier to write for.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Connoisseur wrote:Both. You presumably want to reach as large of an audience as you can.
Agreed!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
5ngela
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5ngela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by 5ngela »

I don't quite understand what do you mean, but I like both of them. And I still buy both of them.
Blak_Lotus
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blak-lotus.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Blak_Lotus »

I was a 'purist' for many years because I love the feel of a real book, the smell, turning the page...however my only time to read now is at night so I figured I would buy a Kindle Paperwhite and it is the best thing that I ever bought.
Ashton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashton.html

Post by Ashton »

I love Ebooks personally.

It saves on paper, space, and money.

Plus I think reading digitally can be better. I personally normally have a collection of of to be read. If I am going somewhere I don't need to decide which book to bring, since I will have all of my books on my reader.
whomeqqqq

Post by whomeqqqq »

you write a book

how you publish it in whatever media is irrelevant to writing it

why not print and ebook
audio is too expensive to produce and has too small a market

then the question is which ebook formats
there are hundreds
kindle nook kobo and pdf as well as epub3 seem to be the biggest sellers by far

monkey-business wrote:What is the best to write? And why?
whomeqqqq

Post by whomeqqqq »

first you say they are the same
then kindle is easier

why is kindle easier
if they are truly the same isnt just writing a book the same no matter what media it is published in
pauljeday wrote:As far as writing is concerned they are both the same, though Kindle format is getting easier to write for.

Return to “Writing Discussion”