Music With Writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Music With Writing

Post by Ljessup »

I love putting on simple plan radio station or secondhand serenade on Pandora while I write. Not blaring, just enough noise to silence the silence. Love all the responses and how different/similar human are!

Latoshia
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

It depends on what I'm writing, but music usually distracts me if I listen while I'm writing. That doesn't stop me from trying though. I listen to peaceful stuff like Imogen Heap and Blackmill. I listen when I begin writing but end up having to pull out the earbuds when I need to concentrate more.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

I also love listening to Ed Sheeran, especially if I'm writing poetry because that tends to be more sad and emotional, like some of Ed's songs.
Dolph_92
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolph-92.html

Post by Dolph_92 »

That depends on the atmosphere I'm creating in the book. If I'm shooting for suspense, I go with hard rock. Classical music is my 'reset button'. Sometimes, I jump around my playlists so I can try to get into a zone. Then, I let the music guide my creativity.
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Hi ! I love music but my writing needs peaceful ambience,so I can't imagine to resume my writing with music.
Srosemautner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srosemautner.html

Post by Srosemautner »

for me it really depends on the scene I am working on. Music tends to put a bias on my emotion and sometimes my character's, so that's not always great for particular situations but can be amazing in others. I've found that rain background helps me focus and neutralize my emotions so I can hear my characters instead.
stepie82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stepie82.html

Post by stepie82 »

I usually write with music in the background while I am writing to set mood into whatever it may be that I am writing.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

It depends. I tend to make playlists that are comprised of themes and are songs that are relevant to what I am writing. The best example I can give would be, I am working on a few different stories and so I have 3 separate playlists for each of them, with songs that directly correlate to the scenes I am writing, and the themes in the story. The music is pretty different and varied for each of them, but they most include some melodic dubstep, some pop, and some EDM, but one has more classical influences while one has more electronic influences and so on.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't need music to write but I like to listen to music during my thinking process. I have a habit of connecting certain songs with my works. I have chosen songs as like the theme song for my books. So whenever I'm just sitting around, I'll turn on a certain song and start thinking about my books and what I want to do with the plot next.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Writing Discussion”