Music With Writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
skylarharkless
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylarharkless.html

Re: Music With Writing

Post by skylarharkless »

Great topic! Ed Sheeran is perfect for writing. I like to listen to Madilyn Bailey, Of Monsters & Men, Florence & The Machine, and Sia. Of course many more, but those are my favorite artists. They all have such soothing voices, and in certain moments their lyrics can paint the scene you are writing, which is inspirational, and makes work work that much better.
angdap213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angdap213.html

Post by angdap213 »

I like anything classical as it helps me to focus. Music with lyrics are disruptive for me because I tend to focus too much on the song and not enough time on writing.
theed54

Post by theed54 »

I actually find different music helps me get in the mood for a certain scene. Early 2000's emo rock for the emotional scenes, and so 90's gangster rap for the fighting scenes. Sometimes 90's alt-rock helps as well.
Dezu44
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezu44.html

Post by Dezu44 »

I don't listen to music when I write unless it's for recreation. If I am truly focusing on my writing, I like to have no music. But, if my surroundings are too loud for me to really concentrate, I listen to concentration music on youtube and listen to alpha waves or whatever. Whatever really cancels out the noise but isn't too catchy to distract me from my work.
1ChiGeek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1chigeek.html

Post by 1ChiGeek »

I can write with and without music. But I prefer writing with music. Listening to certain bands from the 80s mellows me out.
lowen1994
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lowen1994.html

Post by lowen1994 »

I can't listen to music while I'm writing, but I find it helps to make playlists for the book. Or even the characters.
CornishViking
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornishviking.html

Post by CornishViking »

I did a creative writing part to my English degree. One of the assignments had to be inspired by music....and I scored well. But generally I prefer peace
Eponine

Post by Eponine »

Jesska6029 wrote:I find listen listening to music when I write to be very beneficial. I really like Ed Sheeran and Ingrid Michaelson. What music do you listen to while you write?
I like Ed Sheeran as well. Yes, sometimes I listen to music when I write. The type of music one listens to can be inspiring.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I admire people with brains capable of multitasking and those others who are capable of filtering out distractions; I have never been able to do it. Generally when I write I must focus on what I am doing and even minor distractions put me off my game. Same goes for reading. I always try to find a quiet place to read if I am reading in a public area. People walking by, doors opening and closing and people sitting in close proximity to me do not bother me, but if someone has a radio/TV going or if a couple of people are conversing I have to move to a quieter location.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Nope, can't concentrate while listening to music. Even while studying, if I put on some music I'll notice I'm focusing more on the lyrics than my actual work! The only exception is Maths. For some reason, I enjoy and can concentrate on Maths while listening to music.
It is useful to listen to songs that don't have words, only tunes, while studying. -Zaynab
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
tularula789
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading: In the Arms of Stone Angels
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tularula789.html
Latest Review: "Survive the Night" by Benjamin Card
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by tularula789 »

Most of the time when I'm writing and I have music on, I can't get any work done. That may be because I normally listen to Fall Out Boy, but I find it hard to concentrate on writing if any type of music is in the background.
Latest Review: "Survive the Night" by Benjamin Card
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I usually listen to something orchestral. Lindsey Stirling is a favorite of mine. I find anything with vocals and I usually get distracted and start singing. :lol:
StephyJ
Currently Reading: The Mistaken Hero
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephyj.html

Post by StephyJ »

I love Andrea Boccelli when I need inspiration
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

Moderntimes: I have ALL of Mozart's works and I don't believe he has a "Symphony 41." :oops:
CallMeMissEllis
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callmemissellis.html

Post by CallMeMissEllis »

I use an app where you can layer sounds to creat different soundscapes, I'll put different sounds and weathers together to form something that fits what I want to write, however I can't write to anything with lyrics I always end up singing along!!!

-- 12 Dec 2015, 11:19 --

I use an app where you can layer sounds to creat different soundscapes, I'll put different sounds and weathers together to form something that fits what I want to write, however I can't write to anything with lyrics I always end up singing along!!!

Return to “Writing Discussion”