Music With Writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Re: Music With Writing

Post by CrescentMoon »

I can't really listen to songs with words when I write, they tend to ruin my concentration. I love listening to Glitch Mob. Their music has always been very motivating to me.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Writing and are two things that i think are different. I Can't listen any song while am writing, because it drives my attention. Instead i listen after writing as a reward of my work
sablefalls
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sablefalls.html

Post by sablefalls »

Music is often what inspires me to write. It drives my family nuts when I listen to the same song repeatedly because I am trying to wring every bit of inspiration out of the notes
Hatter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatter.html

Post by Hatter »

I have several different playlists set up Story-Hero, Story-Villain, Story-Joy, Story-Sorrow, Story- Gear Up, and Story-Death just as a few examples. I listen to whichever one matches the scene that I'm writing. If characters are dealing with a death or one is dying or about to die, then I put on Story-Death.
cari_elizabeth

Post by cari_elizabeth »

I like listening to music while I'm writing most of the time, but some days I just need quiet. One of the things I like is creating a music playlist that reflects the characters or mood of my story. For example, I'm working on a novel about an estranged family and I sort of chose Vance Joy's "Mess is Mine" as my theme song because it helps me picture the characters and emotions and scenes. For me, sometimes listening to music helps reignite my imagination when the words aren't flowing.
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

When I write I put on music that helps feed me new ideas. Sometimes if I listen to a specific song a scene will appear in my head and I just have to write it down ASAP. I even created a playlist on my i-Tunes of songs to listen to while I write. It helps me concentrate and this way I can picture my stories as if they were movies playing in my head which makes it all the more entertaining. :)
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

I have my own 'writing inspiration' playlist, but there is no specific genre of music that I put on there. It can be almost anything. I often imagine the music as the soundtrack to my writing, as though it were a movie and sometimes this can mean listening to the same song repeatedly or I let the songs carry on their course and see where the action takes me next.
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
Lillian Martin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lillian-martin.html
Reading Device: B00PVD57F4

Post by Lillian Martin »

Lana Del Rey, Florence and the Machine, The Lumineers. Usually depends on what type of book I'm writing. If I write historical fiction, I will listen to music from that time era.
panamagirl1968
Currently Reading:

Post by panamagirl1968 »

I like to listen to music too when i write. I listen to michael jackson and prince to give me inspiration.
lirique6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lirique6.html

Post by lirique6 »

I love listening to guys with deep voices like george ezra!! very good for writing :P
PandaBookLover
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pandabooklover.html

Post by PandaBookLover »

Epic music really hits the spot when I'm trying to write. Though, at times, I have to have music that fits the scene so I can imagine what's happening at that moment. It's like how they say you create a movie in your head. Since I'm also a band geek, no movie is good without music.
artemis822
Currently Reading: Master Class
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemis822.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by artemis822 »

I listen to music a lot while I'm writing. What I'm listening to will depend on the genre of what my current focus is on.

There are some amazing playlist or videos on Youtube for writing if you are looking for orchestration with lyrics in order to focus your thoughts. There are even ones that a genre specific, and that includes if you are writing fanfic!

I have a few that I have subscribed to their channel, or liked a certain video to find later.

Pandora is also good, especially if you want to do the classical, or the movie scores to listen to. Hans Zimmer is good to start off on.
ArsenicCookies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 292">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arseniccookies.html
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre

Post by ArsenicCookies »

I like to write to the group Two Steps From Hell and I will sometimes listen to soundtracks from movies that have the emotion or energy I'm trying to capture.
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre
MaryJones

Post by MaryJones »

I do not listen to music when i am writing. I need a peaceful noiseless environment to write.
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

I love music and usually listen while I write. It helps me focus and keeps my train of thought fromrunnung off the tracks. I've taken to listening to music that my protagonist would potentially listen to. Again it helps me stay on track. If I'm not doing that I'll just listen to whatever's got my attention at the time usually something pop punk.

Return to “Writing Discussion”