Music With Writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Music With Writing

Post by Jesska6029 »

I find listen listening to music when I write to be very beneficial. I really like Ed Sheeran and Ingrid Michaelson. What music do you listen to while you write?
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I don't listen to any, because music upsets my emotional centers. (Actually, for that reason, I almost never listen to music at all.) I don't judge, though, 'cause I figure it's different for everyone.

I do sometimes put on the Golden Girls with no volume.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I love music but simply cannot listen to music while writing. My passion is for classical & opera, which means highly complex themes and composition. So trying to write while listening to, say, Rigoletto or Mozart's Symphony 41 is just impossible for me.

I do however take writing breaks with my music. That works fine.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I love listening to music when I am writing. Although most of my writing is for school work, I actually find that music helps me concentrate for some reason. It just helps me to relax so that I can focus on what I am doing. Most people would think that it is a distraction, but I think it's quite the opposite. I prefer to listen to more relaxing music so that it will put me in the right mood to concentrate on my school work. I will pretty much listen to any type of music. I enjoy a lot of different genres. Country, pop, Christian, some rock. With the rock music it really depends. I don't like hard core rock, more like the softer rock, where you can actually understand the words. I only listen to a couple of rock artists though. Otherwise, it's not typically the first genre that I go for. Country is usually the first one that I look for. When there isn't anything new in Country, then I will look in the other areas to see if I can find any new people that I like.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Amera7
Favorite Author: Stephen Speilberg
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amera7.html
Latest Review: "A Scab is no Son of Mine" by Stephen Whyles

Post by Amera7 »

Zeldas_lullaby I understand what you're saying how listening to music does carry you off into an emotional part of yourself. And that can be good or bad. Sometimes if I'm writing about a particular subject I need music to bring out that spiritual part of me. But if I'm writing about something technical of sorts, then I may not want to listen to it, it's too distracting.
Latest Review: "A Scab is no Son of Mine" by Stephen Whyles
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, you hear me? :-D

I used to listen to real heavy stuff--Dire Straits, Alan Parsons, Tears For Fears, etc. It sucked me into a black hole of emotion that I didn't even know was happening. Then I had a manic episode. Frustrated, I sat under a tree for six hours one night. No cell phone, no nothing. Just me in the park, hidden under the tree. When I got out of bed the next day, this information came into my head: quit listening to music. (And a few other things.) I obeyed it and was finally able to separate myself from it and see how it was affecting me. I almost never let myself listen to the heavy stuff anymore.
normafloresallende
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normafloresallende.html

Post by normafloresallende »

Music really helps me in the writing process. I prefer instrumental music or at least, if it's vocal, the lyrics must be in a language I don't understand so I don't get distracted by it.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Well, I used to sing opera. Yeah, the real stuff, on stage w. costumes and sets and props and singing in French, Italian, or German. And I've sung in classical chorales and high churches too, so you can add Latin to the mix. And so with most any classical vocal music, I know what they're singing and usually can sing along.

Another reason why I simply cannot listen to music while writing. I love music but I get too involved in it (how can you ignore Mozart?) and I lose my writing focus. So all is quiet on the western front when I write. I wish it were otherwise but nope.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
MissMaro
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missmaro.html

Post by MissMaro »

I can't listen to music as I write because I find I want to pay attention to the music. (I'm a bit of an amateur composer so music interests me way too much to ignore it most of the time.) I do like playing cafe noises (no music, just people talking) in the background when I work at home. I find that helps me to concentrate.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oh, hey, I'm a composer too! I've written a book's worth of piano solos. :-D I'm actually a better composer than I am a pianist.
kovac-nikki
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kovac-nikki.html

Post by kovac-nikki »

About half the time I write, I listen to music. The other half, I end up turning it off because I simply can't concentrate or hear myself think. When I am really in to a scene, music doesn't bother me. Background noise doesn't bother me. I'm gone. But when I'm struggling with words, it's such a pain.

Usually I'm a country girl (Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Shania Twain, etc). But I also like alternative and some pop. Depends on my mood.
addseo1115

Post by addseo1115 »

I do sometimes put on the Golden Girls with no volume.
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

I mostly write without music, because most of the music I listen to include vocals that really engage me, stealing me from my fidelity with writing. Sometimes, music with no vocals passes through my attention quite well, and so do television sounds. I wrote a whole chapter while The View was on. I think I love the music I listen to with too much of a passion for me to share my attention between its sound and my writing.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
Ammonia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=25016">I heart Vegas</a>
Currently Reading: Paws and Jaws
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammonia.html

Post by Ammonia »

Sometimes I like listening to some tunes while writing, because it gets me in a certain atmosphere that I would find hard to access otherwise. However, those moments are a rarity.
Since music usually makes me sink fully into it, I'm having difficulties focusing on the writing process and the music at the same time. It's somewhat easier to just plunge deep into my thoughts and my story without music, unless I really need to get into a certain mood in order to portray a scene with words. Whenever I feel like I need music to help me with my writing, I choose from a large variety of genres - from symphonic metal to country ballads. After all, we're just humans and sometimes we need a little bit of a push - whether it's from music or something else. : )
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

I only listen to music when writing in a particular genre. I have a fantasy book I am working on and I listen to Celtic stations to inspire my mood. But I also have a historical fiction novel I am working on that takes place in the 1870s so I put on the ragtime/Scott Joplin stations (even though the music is a little later than my setting) because it helps put me in that place. All instrumental mostly, lyrics would throw me off.
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre

Return to “Writing Discussion”