When you write?!

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

When you write?!

Post by mmandy38 »

So I was just sitting here thinking.... when authors write a story/novel, do they write it based on what they like to read or does it correlate at all? For instance, I tend to write (and read) romance, but I'm a hopeless romantic so I don't know if mine counts lol. What does anyone else do?
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

It all depends... If I'm writing for pleasure, I'll write what I like to read - sci-fi/fantasy or poetry. However, I've had to write some not-so-fun stuff (design documentation for games, card text,
Etc).
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

Depends on the mood.

I found myself writing a graphic sex scene a couple of weeks ago, and it started off nothing like that.

And then a couple of days ago, I had a clear scene that I had mentally planned, and then put my pen down after half a page of A4, because it was, frankly, rubbish prose.

Sometimes stuff just comes out!
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I've been an SF and mystery fan since I was a kid, horror too. I've tried SF but failed totally. I've written a few okay horror short stories, sold most of them.

But in recent years, I've turned to mystery fiction. I loved the American private eye stories, Robert Parker's Spenser, and the classic Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. So I've turned to writing my own series of modern American private detective novels, set in Houston. The first 2 were purchased and published, the 3rd is just finished and is currently being evaluated by a publisher. I really love writing my own special type of private eye, not the hardboiled fist-and-dame rough guy, but a highly intelligent and well educated professional.

So yes, write what you most admire and you'll enjoy it as well as probably writing the best stuff. No reason to force yourself to write what you don't want (unless of course you work for a newspaper and are assigned to write about the dreary city council meeting, ha ha).
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

Thanks for your input guys! I agree that you have to love the stuff you write about... or else it would just be like a job you hate.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I could say I write what I like to read, but I read a wider variety than I write. I guess I write what I enjoy best or have a better feel/understanding of how to have the story progress. I still try to think of story ideas in other areas. I think branching out occasionally, even if only a few pages for yourself, will help you with the rest of your writing.
kkabir
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by kkabir »

i dont want to write .i just love to read
Braktooth
Currently Reading: The Virtues of Captain America
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

For me, there has to be something that's interesting about it, or why would I write it? If I'm not interested, it's a lot harder to make it interesting for someone else. That said, I don't (can't) write in all the genres I'm interested in. I read a lot of non-fiction I'm totally unqualified to write.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, I definitely write what I'd want to read. I also write the way I want the world to be, which is my version of fantasy.

I read an interview on a blog by an author recently (and her book sounds really good--can't remember her name right now), and she was saying the same thing. She said she was looking for a certain type of book (with perticular elements), couldn't find one, so she thought she'd write one of her own. Her book has gotten rave reviews and I'm putting it on my to-read list.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I like to write within my comfort zone, but I'm being pushed beyond self-imposed barriers. I'm very grateful to my mentor.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I really like to read Science Fiction books, but I am not a great writer in the genre. I would like to believe I have a great imagination, but I have struggled with creating other worlds, which is essential to a good plot.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Jesska6029 wrote:I really like to read Science Fiction books, but I am not a great writer in the genre. I would like to believe I have a great imagination, but I have struggled with creating other worlds, which is essential to a good plot.
OMG, you need to read the book I mentioned before your post, when I was talking about an author I read about on a blog... I still don't remember her name, but I know where I came across the blog... hold on... OK. The book is called Akarnae by Lynette Noni.

The reviews say the author is great at world-building, and the author says she created it because she wanted to find a book like it but couldn't. I bet if you read it, it will inspire you to create beautiful worlds!
EllieThomos

Post by EllieThomos »

I like late night writing.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Jesska6029 wrote:I really like to read Science Fiction books, but I am not a great writer in the genre. I would like to believe I have a great imagination, but I have struggled with creating other worlds, which is essential to a good plot.
This depends on whether you're talking about "real" SF or maybe fantasy. In SF, you don't necessarily create another separate world, but instead you invoke certain fictional things within the real world. For example, a human Mars mission in which the astronauts face physical perils, like a dust storm or a rocket failure. There's very little "other world" in that "hard" SF novel. Or maybe they uncover a previously unknown alien culture that's long dormant but now awakens (whether via robots or suspended animation aliens) then this pushes the envelope further but is still within the real of "hardcore" SF.

If you're writing such a story, you mostly encompass your novel in the real world with maybe a few advances in technology but still not fantastic. I don't know whether you're considering such a "realistic" SF world for your stories.

If, on the other hand, when you say "science fiction" you're instead talking about fantasy, such a LOTR, then you indeed must create a unique universe that stands alone and has its own rules of existence. This is quite difficult.

Or you can invoke fantasy into a real world scenario, like a mystery thriller in which the homicide detective discovers "real" vampires. This would be a mixture, in that the bulk of the novel's scenario fits within our real society with the single addition of that one supernatural element. This isn't SF but fantasy, but in this case, unlike LOTR, you don't have to create a totally new world but instead just create one supernatural element into the mix of an otherwise realistic world in which we now live.

Remember the difference: Science fiction is about what has not happened but could happen within our own "real" world and universe, such as "2001" or "Forbidden Planet" or even "Blade Runner". Fantasy, on the other hand, is about what cannot happen in our real universe, such as LOTR or Interview with a Vampire or Supernatural (to mention TV and movies instead of books).
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

moderntimes wrote:
Remember the difference: Science fiction is about what has not happened but could happen within our own "real" world and universe, such as "2001" or "Forbidden Planet" or even "Blade Runner". Fantasy, on the other hand, is about what cannot happen in our real universe, such as LOTR or Interview with a Vampire or Supernatural (to mention TV and movies instead of books).
I've never even thought about that, but I've also never been into those genres personally. Interesting definitions, though!

Return to “Writing Discussion”