Would you rather write a biography or a memoir'autobiography

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Would you rather write a biography or a memoir'autobiography

Post by Ck89reader »

I have been told many times in my life that I should write a memoir about all the things I have faced. But for me, I'd love to write a biography. About who, I don't know yet but it would be about a spectacular person who deserves the spotlight and has made a difference in the world.

What about you? Have you been told to write a memoir? If so, what would it be called? Have you started writing it?
And do you have any favorite people that you would write about?
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I don't think anyone would wanna read my memoir :) I'd definitely choose writing a biography, I think the learning about someone else would be as awesome as writing the book! As for who, that's tricky... I think, if I could choose anything, I'd do a book about numerous people, all indie video game developers, kinda like the book version of the amazing Indie Game: The Movie. Incredibly moving; and I think even non gamers would enjoy it :)
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Sky Princess
Currently Reading: The Curse of the Pharaohs
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-princess.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Sky Princess »

I'd love to write a biography about a person who doesn't think they deserve one. Those are usually the people that have impacted others the most, but never realize it for themselves. They take themselves and their own contributions for granted. Those are the people who's stories deserve to be told. I would feel so honored to sit on a couch with even one of them and take note on all their experiences.
acordaro
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acordaro.html

Post by acordaro »

Memoir definitely, I have a story to tell when I can finally gain the courage to tell it
amandanicole books
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandanicole-books.html

Post by amandanicole books »

Autobiography but extremely emotional not just super factual.. It matters how I felt during the events not just that they happened
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Biography.

From an objective standpoint, my life has been interesting in some respects (I've lived in 3 countries on 3 continents) but I'm not really comfortable sharing personal information with strangers. I feel that I couldn't write a memoir without addressing some of the more unpleasant or embarrassing aspects of my life, and who wants to hear that!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Braktooth
Currently Reading: I'm Tired Of Racism
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

Biography, without a doubt. First, I don't want to share all my experiences, I'm generally a private person. Second, my life simply hasn't been that interesting. Heck, I wouldn't read it!

Who? Likely a friend of mine, who has always been involved in many strange, interesting things. I'm not sure many people would believe it though.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Duende Knocking wrote:Biography.

From an objective standpoint, my life has been interesting in some respects (I've lived in 3 countries on 3 continents) but I'm not really comfortable sharing personal information with strangers. I feel that I couldn't write a memoir without addressing some of the more unpleasant or embarrassing aspects of my life, and who wants to hear that!
Oh, I hate embarrassment. I hear ya. :oops: :oops: Sometimes it's just not worth it to get out of bed in the afternoon. You know what I'm talkin' about?

If I wrote my memoir in an honest way, it would depress the cheeriest person. And I've decided I want to use my powers for good. So, no memoirs for me.

If I were to write a biography of someone else... maybe Cloris Leachman. (I just want to ask her why her parents named her that.)

Seriously, one of my living role models is Betty White. I also like Dick Van Dike. So I'd write about one of them.

Return to “Writing Discussion”