Time to write

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Time to write

Post by Chris Dutton »

I've been writing a 'novel' for about 18 months (some parts of it are more than five years old though) got 30k words down and realise that the premise is good, but some of the penmanship needs work. Bit of background - stressful job, two young kids, allotment, need 8 days a week.

And now I've got some time on my hands (gardening leave...I've had Xmas off with no work thoughts, a first for years) I've written another 10-15k words. Probably 5k in the last 3 days. I've visited interesting and relevant places to inspire me (including a lovely snowy walk in the hills, and a cup of tea in an old theatre)

I like my story more because of the consistency, the characters - especially the central two - are far more human, and I'm able to add more complexity to the whole story line, with bits of back story, character quirks and humour.

The writing is better and there's more depth.

I'm excited by it again!

If you get the chance take it with both hands!
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Kudos! Writing is difficult. I commend you for your commitment, especially with kids.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html

Post by Chris Dutton »

From the profile pic, I guess you're on the same boat! Following on another thread, I've half a mind to dedicate the book to my former employer in a wheeze of satirical sarcasm!

Time! As Bilbo said... With the sub- words behind it.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html

Post by TLGabelman »

Yes, I have kids...{looks about the room} they are around here somewhere. I try to do what I can while they are in school, then I'm engulfed in all things "kid" related til bed.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

Return to “Writing Discussion”