, and

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: , and

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA HA!! Yeah. I like that. We're both right!!
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

As PashaRu mentions, I've always been taught that it's all about dependent and independent clauses. If both the part before and the part after the conjunction could be two separate sentences, they get a comma. If not, they don't. This discussion reminds me of a cartoon I used to see on Saturday mornings:Conjunction Junction.

As for the Oxford comma, I'm a big fan. One of my favorite supportive examples follows:
I love my sisters, Oprah and Martha Stewart.
vs.
I love my sisters, Oprah, and Martha Stewart.
The first sentence (without the Oxford comma) indicate that I love my two sisters, whose names are Oprah and Martha Stewart. The second (with the comma) indicate that I love three sets of people: my sisters, Oprah, and Martha.

I know there are examples that help support no Oxford comma, but that one always makes me laugh!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

Return to “Writing Discussion”