What inspires you to write when your not feeling up to it?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Mbucknor
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbucknor.html

What inspires you to write when your not feeling up to it?

Post by Mbucknor »

I'm having some trouble writing something that I need to so I am wondering what gets you going when you just don't have the motivation?
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

I like to write down every idea I can think of and then take a break from it. Take a shower, have a cup of tea, and go back to it fresh. I do my best thinking in the shower. If you're still not motivated, sometimes you just have to fake it until you get motivated. You can always revise later! :)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Do not even attempt to write. In fact, remove yourself from the place you usually write and put yourself in a totally different environment. Then think about what you want to write BUT do not try to work out the phrasing in your mind. Just think about the basis of the story and then put yourself into one of the character's persona. In your mind visit the setting of your story and walk around in the character's shoes. Try to imagine how the character thinks and what motivates him/her to think in that manner. Now, place your character within the plot that you intended to write.

Sometimes, by actually going into the story yourself, inspiration can spring from the most unlikely places. In the following bit of writing I found myself unable to relate to my character because, first of all, the character happens to be a 16 year old girl (check the picture on the left of this post). Also, she is living in 18th century Bavaria. She was also orphaned as a child when her mother, who she has never known, and whom she has yearned for every day of her life, abandoned her at a convent when she was an infant. She is about to play, for the first time, on a violin she has created under the guidance of a master luthier. The event just happens to occur on Good Friday (the day Jesus died) by coincidence. - don't worry, this is not a religious story.

OK ... now all of the things I mention above made me quite unable to relate to this girl and her feelings. This scene was a critical portion of my story and it was imperative that I get it right. So I just left the house and wandered to the park. While sitting on a park bench I willed myself into this girl's body as well as the time and place in which she existed. I imagined her feelings within the context of the story I wanted to tell until I could see the room she was in and could hear the music. I then returned home and penned the following ....

And so finally, on the hallowed day of Our Lord, Good Friday, and under the watchful eye of her instructor, Herr Hoffmann, Lisa Moeller affixed the chin rest and strung the strings. Her creation was complete, with two weeks to spare. With her fingers on the tuning pegs and her eyes aflame she gave Herr Hoffmann an inquiring look. He nodded and Lisa began to tune the instrument. When she finished she glanced at him again with greater urgency. Herr Hoffmann smiled and nodded.

Lisa held the violin at arms length before her smiling face, then pressed it to her breast and whispered quietly to it. And then, with draped eyelids, Lisa Moeller raised the violin to her chin and began to play. The plaintive strains of Johann Sebastian Bach's Ave Maria filled the humble cottage with an indescribably beautiful sound. Lisa continued to play as the tears fell from her eyes and rolled down her cheeks, for the beauty of the music she and her violin were now creating surpassed anything Lisa had ever experienced in her life. The effect was not lost on Herr Hoffmann who felt his legs grow weak. After a lifetime of listening to the most famous violinists of the world play upon the finest instruments of his creation nothing in his memory had transfixed his emotions as the music to which he was now listening. The music was the story of a mother who had lost her child - had watched him die on a cross on this very day. The sweetness, the pity, the gentle yet indefinable power of the composition was elevated to sublime heights by a young girl who had never known her own mother - the mother she thought upon every day of her life. She now sang to her mother of her love, of her longing, of her loneliness through her instrument. With every note she lay her head upon her mother’s bosom, held her hand, kissed her cheek. The Madonna’s grief was now her own, a grief which was voiced in the ethereally beautiful interpretation she brought to Bach's score. The final two notes of the song, the amen, though played ever so gently, ever so quietly, ever so tenderly, reverberated in the room like a lost, echoed prayer long moments after Lisa Moeller’s bow had ceased to move. Lisa Moeller and Herr Hoffmann stood silently together in the room for many minutes.

In my mind this scene took place while I was at the park. Not the words mind you ... just the scene and the feelings. It was the result of identification with my character and her feelings. Before I left for the park my mind was an utter blank.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I usually review the plotline and fill in the insignificant details and this helps me get my creative juices flowing.I also write all of my ideas. I hope this helps.It might not work for you/
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Zeal16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeal16.html

Post by Zeal16 »

I play some music and sing/dance around. Then I just search the web for images of nature or other things that interest me. If it's wamr enough take a walk or change the location you are writing in. Works well for me!
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I have found that those times when I have absolutely no ambition to write, when I feel like anything that comes out of my pen or from my keyboard will be just absolute trash, those are the times when my genius comes out. Maybe because I have to force myself beyond my comfort zone. Maybe it is the lack of confidence that pushes me to be better, do better. I have no idea. I could just be the oddball out though.

When I have that feeling. That overwhelming "ugh I suck" feeling, I sit down with a cup of warm tea or coffee or hot chocolate, my favorite old fashioned fountain pen and a notebook with the smallest, thinnest, brightest colored lines I can find and just pour out my soul. It is almost a thousand times better than anything I write when I feel like I am at the top of my game.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
Chloe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe.html

Post by Chloe »

For me, just relax for a bit, draw what I want to write and that's normally enough.
Avid SciFi Fan

Post by Avid SciFi Fan »

I suppose everyone has found something unique that works for them.

For me, I find a short break (a few days at most), to occasionally daydream about the general direction the story is heading in, is usually enough to get me past sticking points. Good music and some time outside helps my daydreaming.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Food is always a good motivator. ;)
Night reader
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-reader.html

Post by Night reader »

Sometimes the thing that motivates me is the urge to tell someone my feelings. I feel more relaxed when it's all down in paper.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

When I'm not feeling very motivated or I've hit a block, I take a little breather and just keep on writing. I just write whatever comes to mind because it's a draft after all and there's plenty of rounds of editing to be done.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

What motivates me, other than the simple love of writing? Selling that book! And nobody's gonna buy your half-finished novel (unless maybe your name is Stevie King, ha ha).

Right now I've got an editor in chief who's eager to receive my revised novel -- we're in the middle of the possible sale right now -- and golly, I am spending lots of time in that revision.

By the way, it's "you're" not "your" feeling up to it.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Jack Daniels
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I lie down in bed, because that's the only time I breathe through my stomach. Then I just wait for inspiration. Fortunately (i guess in this case), I rarely fall asleep without a concerted effort.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:I lie down in bed, because that's the only time I breathe through my stomach. Then I just wait for inspiration. Fortunately (i guess in this case), I rarely fall asleep without a concerted effort.
Wow. Lucky you. Or unlucky you? I'm not sure which. If I lay down, it takes me like 5 seconds to fall asleep. I'm actually sitting on my bed right now as I write this, and it's a miracle I haven't fallen asleep already. 8)

Return to “Writing Discussion”