Best Places to Write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Best Places to Write?

Post by lovelyreader21 »

Where do you feel most inspired and passionate about your writing? What specific places give you the kind of tranquility and stirrings in your mind that spur you on to write new stories, come up with new ideas, let poetry just jump right out of you? For me it is the coffee shop downtown, with eccentric artwork and vintage advertisements hanging all around it, with Latin phrases scattered all over the walls. What about you?
Editorinwaiting

Post by Editorinwaiting »

It's funny because I always get inspired in really weird places. Like one time I was in the middle of listening to a lecture and I was hit with an amazing idea so I quickly scribbled it out. So for me it really depends, but I do have a spot under a big pine tree. I like nature because it's quiet and I can just let my mind wander around for a while without having to worry about anyone else.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Out in nature really gets my creative juices flowing for some reason and makes it a great place for me to write!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Anywhere that no one can look over my shoulder and read what I'm writing and where I can let my thoughts flow. My room is always the best place but when I get bored in class, I can just type away at my laptop and only my seat mate will know.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
icemech04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icemech04.html

Post by icemech04 »

When it comes to inspiration, I'm often touched by life in its own right: whether I be in the shower, talking to someone, or working an odd job.

When it comes to the best place to write, I find I'm best in a dark room during a late night. Sometimes I listen to classical music -- though there was a phase when was listening to industrial metal instead:)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I always feel like I get my best writing out when I am somewhere in public, usually in a restaurant with lots to drink. It seems to weird, like it wouldn't be inspirational at all, but something about the setting just helps me focus.
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by stacihunsinger »

I usually find inspiration hits me when I least expect it. I find I do a lot of writing waiting to pick my kids up from school or while they are at swim or dance practice. I ALWAYS keep a notebook and pen in my purse, and almost every bag I have with me. You just never know when you are going to get the bug to write. LOL!!
ksjennin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksjennin.html

Post by ksjennin »

In your bed at 2 am when nothing feels right
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

For poetry it's when my mind is in chaos (I'm in the grey area for a lot of mental illnesses where I have a lot of/all the symptoms but there's not quite enough of one thing or another for me to be diagnosed) which can last a week to ten minutes. Inspiration hits from everywhere, but my favorite places to write are outside or snug in my bed.
andy6kyu

Post by andy6kyu »

I guess it's any place that I feel relaxed-which is when I am all alone since I am not a people's person most of the time.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have a separate desk that is used strictly for traditional writing. On it I keep a few treasured items and some inspirational sayings, along with lots of pens and some notebooks. I've come up with some of my most insightful material there.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

For me I like to write in my home. I don't know if it is just because I am very comfortable there, but I never write anywhere else. I mean I will jot down notes etc. but when it comes time for form to take shape I do this in my own home.
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

I don't have a favorite location. Sometimes I'm inspired by a place I visit and sometimes I'm just inspired regardless.

My biggest problem is setting the time aside to do it (not of lack of time but due to procrastination).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
rosscn55

Post by rosscn55 »

I will write in bed late at night sometimes. Especially after reading or watching a excellent movie or a book. I will get inspired and I have to write.
mecheshier

Post by mecheshier »

My inspiration for writing is never consistent. But it does entail when i am closer to the earth e.g. walking, riding my bike or gardening. When I first started writing I was a teenager. I would wake up from a deep sleep and had a very strong urge and need to write. Sometimes I would wake up 3 or 4 times in a night.

Return to “Writing Discussion”