Who Is Doing NaNoWriMo This Year?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
neropanda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who Is Doing NaNoWriMo This Year?

Post by neropanda »

ameliadefield wrote:My novel is actually from my first NaNoWriMo in 2010. I always like to encourage my siblings who compare my near final chapters to their starts by showing them the raw NaNo drafts. It is amazing how far you can come when you start revising. I've been rewriting and revising ever since and I think I might be ready to publish in 2015. Is your NaNoWriMo username the same as your name on here? Best of luck to you regardless of whether you do NaNoWriMo this year. :)
It's so true, about the revision thing. It's cool how you had the courage too, to read over your first NaNo draft XD Best of luck for publication! (It's so exciting!) Do you think you might be going with a traditional publishing house or going with self publishing? And nah, my WriMo username is Robot Panda. Yours?
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

I will be self publishing. I want to have that level of control that you don't get with traditional publishers. I have my own illustrator (she's already finished the cover) and work for a marketing agency so it just makes more sense to go that route for me.

I'm ameliadefield over there too. Are you the Robot Panda from Canada or California?
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm going Nano again this year. Fourth year in a row now. Unlike last year, I am super unorganized this time around! I kind of have no idea what I am going to write this time. I've actually already self published the book I wrote last year. I really had my act together back then. No such luck this time!

Good luck everyone! (PS, I am GrannyP)

-- 23 Oct 2014, 22:18 --

PPS, I added both of you!!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have never heard of this, what exactly is it all about?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

Rssllue, Always happy to introduce someone new to the event! NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It is an event put on by charity where they challenge you to write a 50, 000 word novel in one month. I can't post links because i'm new here, but you should be able to find it with a quick Google search.

ALynnPowers, ah, a planner going as a pantser? I can relate.
neropanda

Post by neropanda »

ALynnPowers wrote:I'm going Nano again this year. Fourth year in a row now. Unlike last year, I am super unorganized this time around! I kind of have no idea what I am going to write this time. I've actually already self published the book I wrote last year. I really had my act together back then. No such luck this time!

Good luck everyone! (PS, I am GrannyP)

-- 23 Oct 2014, 22:18 --

PPS, I added both of you!!
That's so awesome! Congrats! ^.^

Also, ameliadefield, I added you. The cover looks amazing, by the way (Rise of the Shadow Lord, right?)

By the way, just wondering, what platform do you guys use to write your novels? (MS Word, Google Docs, etc.,)I used MS Word the second year I did NaNo (and first year I was successful :D), but that was such a disaster. I found that organizing a 50K+ novel on Word was just too much to handle and I was so disorganized. Last year, I used MS Word again BUT I decided to divide my chapters up into seperarte folders (and then backed them up on Google Docs). That made things a little easier. I started writing other novels on Scrivener afterwards, so I think I'm going to use that this year since the system seems to be a lot more efficient and keeping track of things has become a lot less stressful haha :P
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

Yes, it is the Rise Of The Shadow! Thanks, I'll pass that along to the graphic artist. :) 

I used Google Docs with everyday starting a new document so it is easy to calculate where I am at in my outline document. I haven't used Scrivener before. I might just check it out!
LeahSwenor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leahswenor.html

Post by LeahSwenor »

I'll be doing Nanowrimo this month as well! I have the outlines planned out for several different books but I still don't quite feel like any of them would be worth writing. I'm having a bit of an inner struggle with myself over what I'll write... I'm thinking that I may just write an anthology of short stories.
BUT! My Nanowrimo name is thelionleah, if anyone would like a nano buddy, I am severely lacking in those.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

ameliadefield wrote:Rssllue, Always happy to introduce someone new to the event! NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It is an event put on by charity where they challenge you to write a 50, 000 word novel in one month. I can't post links because i'm new here, but you should be able to find it with a quick Google search.

ALynnPowers, ah, a planner going as a pantser? I can relate.
Thank you very much for the information! It sounds quite interesting. :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can post the link!

It's nanowrimo.org

Simple. Scott Westerfield is a huge supporter and usually sends out some kind of "pep talk" letter each year. It's awesome!
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Post by lovelyreader21 »

November is national writing month, and I'm wondering if anyone else is participating in the special writing competition for November. You have to write a story at least 25k words and it must all have been written in November. I'm excited to participate! What about you guys?
“All I insist on, and nothing else, is that you should show the whole world that you are not afraid. Be silent, if you choose; but when it is necessary, speak – and speak in such a way that people will remember it.”
-Mozart
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I am signed up for this year, which I am excited and nervous about. I've written a lot in my life, but never sat down and banged out a whole novel before. We shall see how it all turns out. Have you signed up yet? Also, NaNoWriMo is 50k words in the month of November, which averages out to around 1665 words every day. Anybody else giving it a shot?

I just wanted to add that my name on the NaNoWriMo website is J.M. Holland. I would love for anyone giving it a shot to find me on the forums or my profile and add me as a writing buddy. This is very much a group activity and I look forward to seeing you there.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I'm doing it! First year ever. I've written a novella and I'm trying to get it published, but I've had trouble with the whole "keep writing!" thing so I figured Nanowrimo wouldn't be great for that. I'm really excited for it, and I've spent up until now world building since it's on another planet and fleshing out my characters. It's a scifi romance, with the main assassin character getting into a lesbian relationship with a sweet, gentle type girl that she's supposed to mold into an assassin. It's an idea I had back when I was fourteen or so, kicked around for a little bit and then forgot, and so now I'm dusting it off and I'll see what I can do with it. So excited!
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I am taking the plunge this year and doing it... which kind of freaks me out and makes me happy and keeps me up at night. I think it is good though. I have made a tentative outline and done some character sketches, but I am mostly flying blind into it. Good luck to all of the other writers on here that are also going to write 50,000 words in 30 days. My name on NaNoWriMo is J.M. Holland and I would love it if some of you would add me as a buddy. I think I am going to need a lot of encouragement and support...and coffee and wine... to get through the month, as will we all. I'm counting down the hours now...
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks to all who added me! Let's motivate each other, okay?? It's already November where I am (2:20pm actually) in Japan, so I will be the first to say, GO!!!! Get to writing! NOW!!!

Return to “Writing Discussion”