Creative?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Creative?

Post by Gravy »

Are most writers creative in other parts of their life?
I know alot of authors do crafts or cook.
Do you think you're creative in other parts of your life?

Myself...
I like to write...
Draw
Paint
Cook
Crochet
Etc...

What is everybody elses thoughts on this?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Cook
Work with wood
Sing
Make models
Dance
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I actually don't find myself very creative in other areas. I like to think of myself as someone who is good with words... but only if they are written down.

Then again, I'm not terrible at other creative things. I can draw a little, but I'm not that good. Occasionally, I can make portraits that actually look like the people they are supposed to look like.

I used to be really good at needlepoint, and I would make original designs and stuff, but I haven't done that in ages.

Oh, wait, I am actually really good at making curtains. And sewing. Not necessarily as designing though, which I think would be the creative part. They actual sewing part is not that creative, in my opinion.

Actually, I get really depressed a lot because I feel like I am not good at anything... :cry:
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:I actually don't find myself very creative in other areas. I like to think of myself as someone who is good with words... but only if they are written down.

Then again, I'm not terrible at other creative things. I can draw a little, but I'm not that good. Occasionally, I can make portraits that actually look like the people they are supposed to look like.

I used to be really good at needlepoint, and I would make original designs and stuff, but I haven't done that in ages.

Oh, wait, I am actually really good at making curtains. And sewing. Not necessarily as designing though, which I think would be the creative part. They actual sewing part is not that creative, in my opinion.

Actually, I get really depressed a lot because I feel like I am not good at anything... :cry:
I never said you had to be good :P :mrgreen:

I'd like to think I can draw, and I will admit to having some pictures I really like, I doubt many people would think much of them.
The fact is...I feel like a very creative person. If I go very long without doing something creative I feel off...or worse...
Even if I can't draw worth a darn...I still am compelled to do so.
So I was just wondering if others felt the same...

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can create laughter in two-year-olds, which is a nice feeling. That counts, right?

I actually like to think that I am a very logical person. More left brained than right brained. Only wish I could be more creative.
Simon Dihan
Favorite Author: too Many to name
Favorite Book: same as my favourite author
Currently Reading: Prophet of Innovation by T. K. McCraw
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simon-dihan.html

Post by Simon Dihan »

I like to cook and I love to draw. I've made a short film (not a satisfactory work) and learnt I have to further study film making before I attempt to make another one. Am I going off topic here but I have to let it all out and I need good advice. Man! I love to explain things and I write or draw or try making films just to explain ideas. I'm somewhat musically-challenged or I would have tried to compose songs too (explanatory songs!!!). I'm not half-bad at reciting poetry (an ex-girlfriend of one of my best friends once had a crush on me after she heard me reciting from Kazi Nazrul Islam ) and was above-average in my Judo classes. I worked as a copywriter and my seniors said I can come up with unique ideas from time to time but lacked consistency.

That's the story of my life. I've been a SCOUT, debated for some time during my Higher Secondary days (not so bad at debating either) and have volunteered as a film society activist (so many movie screenings, so many festivals from the projectionist's seat, I selected the movies too) and now I'm trying to get a government job. I'm truly sorry to have bored you people with the list of my extra-curricular activities (god! do I sound like a pompous ass? yes, I do) but that's how I have been living my life.

I love doing loads of stuff without any clear objective but just for the sake of understanding them. I could have just read books about SCOUTing or debating or film society movement or copy-writing but that was never good enough for me I wanted a taste of the real thing. I feel that the goal of my life is to learn about different things to such an extent that I'm able to explain them to an audience. What am I supposed to do with all these scattered and diverse experiences?

At the age of 25 I still fail to plan the next 10 years of my life. I just want endless time so I could keep going on studying and whenever possible learning through first-hand experience all that this world has to offer though I know that is not financially or morally plausible as I'm neither rich nor selfish enough to abandon my worldly duties.

I finally decided that I would go on with writing. I would love to write non-fiction and movie scripts (alongside my regular job definitely). I love the allure of fiction and the insight of great fiction writers into the human mind though fiction writing never seemed important enough to me that I could completely commit myself to the craft. Well on that point nothing truly seems important to me except for observing, understanding, explaining and exploring newer ideas and concepts and activities and their technicalities. All for the sake of understanding how the world of humans works.

With due respect to the natural scientists, the laws of nature have always attracted me but never strongly enough to make me spend my life discovering them. The paradoxical elements of the human society are like narcotics to me. The woes and sufferings of humans brought upon them through their own doings attract me most. I want to understand how to solve as many problems as I can and suggest solutions which I have tested myself. Though I'm absolutely not interested in being a preacher for I believe in implicit and subtle assistance not outright direction.

Why am I saying all this, because I need advice on how and where to begin my journey as a writer. I'm good at working on order but do not know how to begin the search for my own path. Can anyone advise me on where to begin if I want to become a good non-fiction writer or any other advice is welcome all the same, someone talk to me, please.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:I can create laughter in two-year-olds, which is a nice feeling. That counts, right?

I actually like to think that I am a very logical person. More left brained than right brained. Only wish I could be more creative.
I think that counts! :wink:
I switch...sometimes I feel left brain, sometimes I feel right brain...
I'm actually going to make some ornaments coming up soon.
Maybe crochet a little too.

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

@Simon Dihan.... you have so much to say, it's hard to keep up with you!
I know nothing about non-fiction writing so I wouldn't even know where to begin with that!
Simon Dihan

Post by Simon Dihan »

@ALynnPowers....thanks for your reply, I see that I should be more patient and express myself a little at a time.

As for the craft of non-fiction, I'm now looking at textbooks which might help me find references of classic works of this genre. Can you name a few biographies or journals which you enjoyed reading? That could be really helpful.

Again, thanks a lot for taking time to give me a reply. :)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Simon Dihan wrote:@ALynnPowers....thanks for your reply, I see that I should be more patient and express myself a little at a time.

As for the craft of non-fiction, I'm now looking at textbooks which might help me find references of classic works of this genre. Can you name a few biographies or journals which you enjoyed reading? That could be really helpful.

I'm thankful for an actual question... :lol:
I have read a few books of this kind...
I enjoyed Stephen King's biography/how to On Writing. It was funny and informative while keeping me invested.
That is most definitely the first one I'd suggest.

I hope that helps :D

Simon Dihan

Post by Simon Dihan »

Graverobber wrote:
I enjoyed Stephen King's biography/how to On Writing. It was funny and informative while keeping me invested.
That is most definitely the first one I'd suggest.

I hope that helps :D
It truly is a great book, very helpful.
WinterCandyMints
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Yeah. I am really into art and enjoy drawing and using multiple mediums.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm really not into biographies at all. And the only journals I am familiar with are things I used to use for work, like the American Journal of Speech and Language. Actually, I'm not even sure that's the name. I used to do a bunch of nonfiction writing, but it was always reports for medical documents and such. Not some lit reading or something anyone would actually WANT to read.
Typing on my tablet now. No telling what auto correct has done to this message.
Simon Dihan

Post by Simon Dihan »

ALynnPowers wrote:I'm really not into biographies at all. And the only journals I am familiar with are things I used to use for work, like the American Journal of Speech and Language.
Just a suggestion, if you haven't read the 'Diary of A Young Girl' by Anne Frank then you should try it. I believe you would enjoy it very much.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Simon Dihan wrote:@ALynnPowers....thanks for your reply, I see that I should be more patient and express myself a little at a time.

I thought of a couple more...

Against Tall Odds: Being a David in a Goliath World
by Matt Roloff

And

Dean and Me: (A Love Story)
by Jerry Lewis

Hope this helps more than my last suggestion :P

Return to “Writing Discussion”