Scrivener or Ulysses III

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Scrivener or Ulysses III

Post by SharisseEM »

Does anyone have either of these softwares? If so, was it worth the buy? I'm looking to get one of these so I can save anything related to my writing project to just one file i.e. character profiles, settings, history and etc. I've heard great reviews about Scrivener and I was going to get it until a couple of people mentioned Ulysses III and that it's better. Now I'm not sure which I should invest in. Can anyone offer me their opinions and their experiences using these softwares?
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
neropanda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by neropanda »

I've never heard of Ulysses III, so unfortunately I can't vouch for that software. But I do have Scrivener and Y Writer (which is free, if you're looking for a free option). I'm absolutely hooked on Scrivener though. It definitely makes organizing huge chunks of novel a lot easier. I used to think that all I needed to write was MS Word, but after NaNoWriMo of 2012...nope. Things just get too messy real fast haha. I originally downloaded Scrivener when I was in grade 8 for free because they had some kind of 30-day free trial going on (not sure if that's still offered). I never downloaded it after the trial expired, not because the software didn't meet my needs but becauseIhadnomoney ehem. I got a discount on the software last December though, and I have not regretted it at all.

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Scrivener is awesome and I definitely recommend it.

Are you able to try both programs before you buy either of them? If not, maybe ask yourself what's the main reason you would like this kind of software and then see which platform would best support your needs.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help >.<
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

neropanda wrote:I've never heard of Ulysses III, so unfortunately I can't vouch for that software. But I do have Scrivener and Y Writer (which is free, if you're looking for a free option). I'm absolutely hooked on Scrivener though. It definitely makes organizing huge chunks of novel a lot easier. I used to think that all I needed to write was MS Word, but after NaNoWriMo of 2012...nope. Things just get too messy real fast haha. I originally downloaded Scrivener when I was in grade 8 for free because they had some kind of 30-day free trial going on (not sure if that's still offered). I never downloaded it after the trial expired, not because the software didn't meet my needs but becauseIhadnomoney ehem. I got a discount on the software last December though, and I have not regretted it at all.

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Scrivener is awesome and I definitely recommend it.

Are you able to try both programs before you buy either of them? If not, maybe ask yourself what's the main reason you would like this kind of software and then see which platform would best support your needs.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help >.<
No, you were very helpful! I've only tried the previous version of Ulysses but not the newer version. I was just hoping to compare between both using the experiences of others who have used either of the latest versions.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”

Return to “Writing Discussion”