If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it to?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Erich_gray
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Re: If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it

Post by Erich_gray »

This is a good question. I often look at the dedication page as it usually tells me who the story was inspired by or written towards.

I am currently working of a couple of writings inspired by different people. One is even written, in a fiction kind a way, how my wife and I met. So who to dedicate it to? To be or not to be, now that is the question.

Erich
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I'd think about who helped me or inspired me in the writing of it, most likely. Not who I am most close to-That would be too many people for a dedication.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I think for different books I would dedicate them to different people, depending on the story. If it was a novel about friendship I would dedicate it to my best friends. If it was about love I would dedicate it to my family. It all depends on why I wrote it, and who helped me the best in the process.
billorton
Favorite Author: William Manchester
Favorite Book: The Glory and the Dream
Currently Reading: The Future by Al Gore
fav_author_id: 10603

Post by billorton »

As I wrote my second novel, I formed a friendship with an extroverted neighbor, whose story included ten years serving in the military and moving afterwards to southern California, where he hoped to become an actor. But the effects from ten years in uniform and multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan took their toll on Gene, and he committed suicide early in my writing. I didn't want to forget Gene, so a previously-unnamed character became Corporal Gene Gonzalez, of Galveston, Texas. Once I gave that character Gene's name, he came to life. When the book was done, Gene was one of the most important, natural and likeable characters. So I dedicated the book to him. You do it for your own highly personal reasons.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I once dedicated a book to a plate of fries. 8)
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Definitely my fiancée, she's amazingly supportive! I've always dedicated all of the games I've released to her, she's always a big help :)
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

My first novel would definitely have to be dedicated to my uncle, who helped me in ways he can't imagine, and a special woman who made me see the world the world in an entirely new light.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Devouring_Books_3228

Post by Devouring_Books_3228 »

As writing often takes much of who "we", as the author of said "writing"; it seems that "we" would or have the option to dedicate that completed "writing" to whomever "we" felt it would be appreciated most. One may, perhaps, had a wife, a living partner or a close friend who encouraged the author throughput the entire process. On the other hand, if the "writing" were a cathartic experience for the author; for example, a novel based on the "person(s)" or the experience "personified" that willed the process of the specific subject matter into said "writing." Hence, one could find the dedication to the "person(s)" or "personified" experience that the author had in the past, providing a cleansing of ones fragile self.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Gosh, probably my sister. She got me started on the genre of books that I write now. And she's the person I go to to bounce ideas off of. Oh, and my favourite author who has given me great advice.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I dedicated my first novel to my wife, which is why it is still safe for me to sleep at night.
Nelstern

Post by Nelstern »

I think for me it depends on the book topic and inspiration for the story..
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, a fellow Zelda started this thread! Hi!

My novel is dedicated to my parents.

If/when I have a sequel prepared, I will dedicate to whomever I pay to find all the typos.
MBHarkins

Post by MBHarkins »

One of my novels was dedicated to my grandmother who had supported me throughout the entire writing process. :)
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I would dedicate my novel to Byron. The man who makes me believe in all that I do. He's my biggest supporter, and the love of my life. My Dearest Byron ^5!
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I have thought about this a lot. Dedications are the first page I flip to when I get a new book. My favorite dedication is in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I teared up when I read it.

I would dedicate anything I wrote to my father. There is no doubt in my mind I am who I am because of him. I would not be where I am today without his influence and support.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden

Return to “Writing Discussion”