Writing > Sleeping?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
dirtsmithy11
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dirtsmithy11.html

Writing > Sleeping?

Post by dirtsmithy11 »

What are your thoughts on the creative powers of insomnia?

Do you do your best writing when you wake up or when you are going to sleep?

Do you keep a note pad by your bed?

And finally, know of any inspiring stories involving well known authors and this subject?
JanuaryGray
Favorite Author: John Sandford
Currently Reading: Beijing Bastard at author request
fav_author_id: 16800

Post by JanuaryGray »

Insomnia is both a wonderful and wicked beast. I come up with some of my best ideas because I cannot sleep, but then it makes the next day difficult to get through. Lol. Yes I keep a notepad by my bed, and no I don't know any authors who have stories of insomnia. :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I personally don't have any problems with insomnia. I'm quite the opposite, actually. I sleep too much. But then... I get some of my best ideas while I am asleep (with my super weird dreams), so that's nice. My writing time is in the middle of the day. Lunch time and early afternoon. It keeps me from falling asleep in that lazy part of the day.
But I live with someone who writes music, and he often wakes up in the middle of the night and and can't get back to sleep until he has written down what came to him suddenly.
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading

Post by Alden Loveshade »

I keep a note pad by my bed. Sometimes I wake up, sort of, and think, "I don't need to write this down; I'll remember it." But I usually don't.

I seldom have insomnia. But I have had some of my best ideas in dreams. I'm not the only one--I think the transformation sequence in Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde came from one of Robert Louis Stevenson's dreams.
"A book is man’s best friend outside of a dog, and inside of a dog it’s too dark to read."
Jim Brewer, Cleveland, O. (also attributed to Groucho Marx)
cdisenberg
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Way too many to list
Currently Reading: Dantes Inferno
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdisenberg.html

Post by cdisenberg »

Re: Writing > Sleeping?

Definitely when sleeping, ideas come flowing through my dreams. I get characters and titles from my dreams all the time. I journal every morning and night, but I keep a note book/journal by my bed or with all the time, as well as my drawing pad roll up with colored pencils too. I have forgotten too many things in the past!
“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I've heard a few stories from authors about isomnia and writing.

The one that really comes to mind is Stephen King.
He and his family were staying at an historic hotel or B&B (I can't remember which).
It still had the original fire hoses on each floor.
He saw them and he just kept imagine them coming to life.
(This is not verbatim.)
Anyway, he tried to fall asleep, but instead wound up outlining what would turn out to be The Shining.
If you want the actual story read his book On Writing. It's an inspiring read.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Graverobber wrote:I've heard a few stories from authors about isomnia and writing.

He and his family were staying at an historic hotel or B&B (I can't remember which).
(This is not verbatim.)
Anyway, he tried to fall asleep, but instead wound up outlining what would turn out to be The Shining.

That's crazy! In an awesome way, of course! And a creepy awesome way as well.
This is not quite the same thing, but I have a big chest is my dining room, and I can see the shadow of it when I am lying in bed at night, and I always think it is a person standing in there. If I focus too hard on it before I sleep, it freaks me out. I could probably come up with some kind of horror story from that, right? No, don't wanna. :oops:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Graverobber wrote:I've heard a few stories from authors about isomnia and writing.

(This is not verbatim.)

That's crazy! In an awesome way, of course! And a creepy awesome way as well.
This is not quite the same thing, but I have a big chest is my dining room, and I can see the shadow of it when I am lying in bed at night, and I always think it is a person standing in there. If I focus too hard on it before I sleep, it freaks me out. I could probably come up with some kind of horror story from that, right? No, don't wanna. :oops:
I've always had an over active imagination.
If I want to I can really freak myself out.
That's probably why nothing I read scares me. :lol:
It's a fun thing to have though.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I don't write until I'm ready to sleep, or I'd never manage to nod off at all. I need to read something completely different to my own work simply to take my mind off it. I've been an insomniac ever since my teens, so I'm not always 'wide-eyed and bushy-tailed' even in the morning - but at least it's better than trying to focus on my laptop through gaping yawns and watery eyes!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Tonight I don't feel like sleeping! I feel like writing! Or reading! Or posting lots and lots on this forum! So I am now reading old forums I haven't read in a while and writing about them. That's not insomnia is it? No! It's just all this tea I have been drinking for the past two hours!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Caffeine trumps all!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

If I have an idea for a story, or even just a snippet of a line or something that needs to be changed in my current piece, you an bet I won't be sleeping until it's well written down. I don't always have something near me, so there's usually a scramble to find something. For everyone who writes at 2 am because things won't leave them alone, something I learned a while ago has really helped me with that. In the morning, eat an apple. It gets you awake and keeps you awake, whereas caffeine just gets you awake and then you feel tired later on.
virginia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia.html

Post by virginia »

Neat idea with the apple! I'll have my husband try it and report back -- he's not a morning person and I am.

I often come up with ideas for my writing as I'm falling asleep or right after I wake up, so I keep a notebook on my nightstand.

Return to “Writing Discussion”