Pencil or pen?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
DiDi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Pencil or pen?

Post by DiDi »

I, very much so, prefer to write in pen. There is something about the way my pen hits the paper and just smoothly glides over each line. When I mess up, it feels good to just cross it out and keep moving forward. Going back through old writings and seeing the progress in which I have made to create a final product, leaves me feeling with a sense of accomplishment.

Post by avatarofrozein »

Pen a 1000%, pencil can smudge away after awhile and I just adore writing with pen. I even have a favorite kind to use sadly they can be very hard to find even though they are super cheap.
Liza_Howe15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-howe15.html

Post by Liza_Howe15 »

I feel like I write better in pen. When I write it pencil it just gets too sloppy.
CourtneyRac1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneyrac1.html

Post by CourtneyRac1 »

I perfer pens!! All the way!! Pencils are so ugh to me. Lol. In school I always wrote in pen even on my tests. But pens are so much more durable and smoother to write with. They also improve my hand writing in the cursive department! Which is nice because I've been working on it.
Abu+Ami

Post by Abu+Ami »

Pencil definitely when writing poetry, but pen when writing stories for some reason
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I type when I write, but the occasional times that I do write on paper, I prefer pencils.
My weekend is all booked!
runnergirl13-1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runnergirl13-1.html

Post by runnergirl13-1 »

I prefer pencils because I erase a lot, but when I edit I use pen so I can right smaller
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

I used to prefer writing in pencil when I was a kid, but got endlessly frustrated when graphite'd be smeared all over my notebook. Nowadays I write with pen.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
R_H_Ali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-h-ali.html

Post by R_H_Ali »

I don't usually write on paper because I find it really difficult to edit my work when I've finished my first draft. So I type on my computer when I'm writing.

However, to answer your question, on the rare occasions I do write on paper, I prefer pen as well, because of one of the same reasons you outlined - just scratch and go. Additionally, I think pen ink is much easier to see as opposed to pencil scribblings. Further, I also would find in annoying when the pencil point becomes dull or breaks and I have to constantly sharpen it.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

If I write on paper, I choose writing with pens. I especially love writing with gel pens. It makes writing so much more fun for me when I see the ink glisten on the paper. I generally don't like writing with pencils.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Pencil, because it's easier to fix if I make a mistake.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

Pens. I always write in pen. I'm actually a little bit picky about my ink as well; if I've started keeping a journal in with a fine-tip, I refuse to switch to a gel.

I do like pencils if I just need to scribble something down, but erasers just irk me immensely.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

Pen. I feel I have to press down harder with a pencil and my hand gets a more tired. I would still prefer to type over writing with pencil or pen.
brucealmighty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucealmighty.html

Post by brucealmighty »

I prefer to write in pencil as I personally can write neater in pencil and find it smoother, I think I probably prefer to write in pencil because its a novelty of some sort as I usually write in pen for school.
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

I'm more of a pen person. As I've gotten older my grip has been tighter and writing in pen seems smoother and easier for me.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Return to “Writing Discussion”