Pencil or pen?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
DuchessAngel37
Bookshelf Size: 0

Pencil or pen?

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

This might sound like a silly question, but it might not be.

Do you prefer to write in pencil or pen?

For me, it's the pen. I can't do pencils. Ink is so much smoother, and when I make a mistake or want to change something I wrote I just scribble it out and keep going.

A friend of mine prefers pencil, when he wants to change something, he stops to erase it and does it over.

What about you?
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I love both! I just love writing implements of any kind.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

kaytie

Post by kaytie »

There's something nostalgic about the scritching sound of a pencil on paper, but for editing I use a pen because I don't have to worry about a dull edge. (I've never cared much for mechanical pencils.)

For writing, I always type first.
NYLee

Post by NYLee »

mostly keyboard.
awelker

Post by awelker »

i prefer pen. being a lefty when i write with pencil the lead gets all over the side of my hand and i hate that. i would always try to use pen in my math class last year and i often got yelled at for it.
knightss

Post by knightss »

pen.. and it must be black ink.. something about the way it appears that turns me on intellectually.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I'm a righty and I get pencil all over my hand too!

I love coloured gel pens. I could write and write and write for hours with pretty coloured gel pens. The sparkly ones are my favourite. There's something definitely good for the soul about colour.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

knightss wrote:pen.. and it must be black ink...
You sound like me... I can not NOT write in blue. Hate it.

I love pens of all kinds in general too... but when I'm writing stories or something like that, has to be black.
Linda

Post by Linda »

if the inks not black then it must be purple. dark purple. they're just superior. blue ink is just ugly, it wishes it were purple, but it's just not.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
knightss

Post by knightss »

I also have a problem of buying semi-exspensive pens... and then losing them.. it's an odd unhealthy habit.
awelker

Post by awelker »

My mom used to clean a doctors office at night so she would always bring home one of two pens home a night. They were all black. i don't know what it is about other colors of pens but i can't stand writing in them.
Linda

Post by Linda »

yea i have an odd habit where i can't buy like the normal pens everyone buys that are like way less expensive and come in like packs of like 20. like papermate ballpoint pens...nah man that just doesnt cut it. and i like buying notebooks. at borders they have a notebook section...i could live there.
Linda

Post by Linda »

and knightss used the word odd...thats my word and no one i kno uses it! so yea that got me excited. ha

and i had no idea people could have a discussion about writing utensils.
knightss

Post by knightss »

Linda wrote:yea i have an odd habit where i can't buy like the normal pens everyone buys that are like way less expensive and come in like packs of like 20. like papermate ballpoint pens...nah man that just doesnt cut it. and i like buying notebooks. at borders they have a notebook section...i could live there.
haha i have a nice moleskine notebook that i bought at borders =)
i usually buy parker pens but i lose them in like two weeks... i don't know where they all go... i know my friends dad stole one, he asked to borrow a pen and never returned it =(

hmm i think we should start a Pencrossers also.. so i kind out where they all go.
Linda

Post by Linda »

great idea but it would be much more difficult because pens are so small.

and yea my sister bought me a notebook for my birthday thats made out of all this odd stuff like leaves and corn husks and then the paper is some all natural like idk what...but it was one of the the coolest things ive ever gotten i sortof dont want to write in now :?

Return to “Writing Discussion”