Pencil or pen?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
kierypie1105
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kierypie1105.html

Re: Pencil or pen?

Post by kierypie1105 »

I love both pens and pencils; honestly, it depends on my mood which i prefer. On the other hand, I absolutely HATE typing when I am writing an original piece. I know it' the most streamline way of writing, but I find it often hinders my ability to let the words flow out of me - like there's a disconnect there that can't be remedied.
krobidoux

Post by krobidoux »

I actually prefer pencil. Always have, for some reason I can right nicer with a pencil than a pen.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

Pencil all the way. I'm not sure if it's the architect in me but I have always found pencils to be a lot smoother than pens, if you make a mistake you can simply erase it, whereas with pens, it's not that simple.
king+con
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-con.html

Post by king+con »

pencil
booksandlatte
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandlatte.html

Post by booksandlatte »

I write in pen for a few reasons: 1. my handwriting is very light therefore its difficult to read when I write in pencil 2. I hate the look of eraser marks, they drive me crazy and 3. pen flows in a way that pencils just can't and they never need sharpening. :D
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have an obsession with pens! Pencils are okay too, but there is something about a nice inky pen that just makes me all happy and bubbly inside. The stationery stores here in Japan are amazing, so going into one and seeing all the pens just makes me squeal with giddiness. I have a huge collection of these marker-like pens. They're pretty much magical.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I love using both but I tend to lean more towards pens. I guess it could be because pencils can get smudged by the side of your hand when you write it and pens are more permanent. Plus, I like using different colors for different things.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I prefer pens because pencil tends to fade and smudge over time, and I also like to use a different color of ink each time I write something new (if I used purple yesterday, I might you turquoise today, green tomorrow...well, you get it!). If I mess up, I just use Wite-Out or scribble over my mistake and keep going!

And sometimes, I get a really strong urge to just go to the computer and type everything out! It all depends on my mood and how much spare time I have to devote to writing.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Blue pens. Always blue pens too, the only exception there's ever been is a (shelved) novel where there were alternating points of view, and then it was green and purple, both of which had cultural meaning for their respective characters. Plus it's fun to make tight or loose scribble circles and completely obscure whatever mistake you may have made. The only time I ever use black (It just feels boring to me) is for my black notebook that I carry around everywhere that I write ideas, phrases that drift into mind, or a mental scene into. Plus I'm left handed, and it's just incredibly satisfying to have a huge smudge of blue down my finger and side of my hand. I associate pencil smudges on my hand too much with writing notes and essays in school I suppose, plus you have to sharpen them constantly.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I prefer pens.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have a strong affinity for pens.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
andy6kyu

Post by andy6kyu »

pen, the pencil runs out too quickly and often just when I can't stop writing-because I am afraid I am losing the idea
dollface
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dollface.html

Post by dollface »

I agree that pens are so much nicer to write with. I have one brand that I use and that's the pilot they write the smoothest. pens break too easily and are a pain.
bookreviewsbynoel

Post by bookreviewsbynoel »

I would say Pencil, you can rub out your mistakes. Plus for some reason my hand writing is neater in pencil! :D
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

Either pen or mechanical pencil, but I'd definitely rather pen because I like how smooth it writes. I don't like the noise that the graphite from pencils makes sometimes either.

Return to “Writing Discussion”