A BEST SELLER MAKING YOU MILLIONS, OR MODEST SUCCESS BUT CRI

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

A BEST SELLER MAKING YOU MILLIONS, OR MODEST SUCCESS BUT CRI

Post by suzy1124 »

TICALLY ACCLAIMED............which would you choose?
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

I would prefer a modestly successful but critically acclaimed book. It might be just waiting for its time to shine and I feel like it might last longer throughout the years. I would hate to have a best seller that just fizzles out quickly.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
Heatha4357

Post by Heatha4357 »

I think I would prefer critically acclaimed as well. I am working on writing my own book and I really only care that the message of my book resonates with the readers. Everything else is just a perk.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Frankly I'll take the money, thank you.

I've already had the good reviews and feedback on my first 2 novels, which only resulted in small dividends, financially.

The two choices of course are not mutually exclusive but nowadays, it sadly seems that a big seller is always a poorly written book, sadly.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

I'll take the money. If I could get my name out there with a best-seller, hopefully there would be enough of a following to something that may not be much of a "hit", but is more personal to me.
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

I'm also going to have to go with the bestseller. I mean, as long as I know my book's the best it can be, I dn't really care what critics think. If anything, negative reviews are kind of helpful because they help you improve. Plus, if your book's critically-acclaimed, okay that means critics like it. Good job. But if your book's a bestseller, that means millions of people like it. So if I had to choose with my book resonating with millions vs a few, possibly more thoughtful readers, I still think I'd take the former
Topaascat

Post by Topaascat »

I would like to have a bestseller to, not specialy for the money ( which is a perk) but also they tend to get read more
flakymn

Post by flakymn »

Either!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I'd venture to say that as one matures they're more apt to " take the moolah and run " :wink:

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Okay, so there is this kind of running joke/game in my family that we always break out at gatherings to keep up entertained. We ask the question: if one day you woke up and you were suddenly back in your body from 10 years ago and nothing from the past 10 years had ever happened, yet you had all of the knowledge that you have now, what would do you??

The first thing I said, without even thinking, was, "I would write Twilight and a make all that money myself." So, yeah... honestly, I would have to go with the money. Infamy gets you a lot these days.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Me too!, w/the thought that with all those $millions I could afford to move to some faraway deserted tropical island w/no distractions, and proceed to write the GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

suzy1124 wrote:Me too!, w/the thought that with all those $millions I could afford to move to some faraway deserted tropical island w/no distractions, and proceed to write the GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL...
That sounds like a plan! Where do I sign up? 8)
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I'd have to agree with ALynn ... as much as I'd love critical acclaim, it's the money that would feed me :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
John Macgregor

Post by John Macgregor »

As much as I like writing, it is still work. As such, I would like to see some cash for the time spent. Otherwise, there is no real point to publishing your work. I'm old enough not to be bothered by the ego part of it all. I'll leave that to others.
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

I'm going to go with the bestseller. If I could have both, that would be great! But the only critics I'm worried about are my readers, the ones who will actually be buying my book. Those are the ones I'm writing for. So if it's a bestseller, that must mean the general public likes it!
Making a living off of a good book is always a plus, too. :)

Return to “Writing Discussion”