I let potentially amazing story ideas slip away

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
RheaGrey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheagrey.html

I let potentially amazing story ideas slip away

Post by RheaGrey »

I feel like I always get these amazing ideas that could totally be in a book, but then I let them slip away on thin air because I can't get up the gumption to actually sit down and start writing a book. I think I would enjoy letting my brain spew words onto a Word Document, creating a haphazard but general story outline, but I shudder at the thought of organizing my thoughts into paragraphs.

How do you writers do it? Do you start by basically 'brain spewing' your ideas onto paper or a Word Doc.? And then working on it slowly and meticulously until it turns into something? Do some authors have staff that organize their story for them?

Maybe what I need is a voice recorder so I can just talk out my basic story idea...

It's just such a pity I let these good ideas go to waste.
jbriannerobbins

Post by jbriannerobbins »

I'm not a writer but can empathize with having ideas and not following through with doing anything with them or as you put it "let them slip away". For me, these ideas occur at the most inconvenient times like when I'm driving in the car or when I simply to not have a pen and paper (or computer).

You seem to have the motivation to start the process of writing, which is the first step, and have a idea of how to do this (recorder). I would suggest you try and start there. Like a painting, writing can always be improved so there really isn't a finished product. Harness your idea (s) and challenge your self to stay in the present moment and continue to follow that idea rather than the end result. Also keep in mind, what may work for others may not work for you in regards to writing. Good luck!
RheaGrey

Post by RheaGrey »

jbriannerobbins wrote:I'm not a writer but can empathize with having ideas and not following through with doing anything with them or as you put it "let them slip away". For me, these ideas occur at the most inconvenient times like when I'm driving in the car or when I simply to not have a pen and paper (or computer).

You seem to have the motivation to start the process of writing, which is the first step, and have a idea of how to do this (recorder). I would suggest you try and start there. Like a painting, writing can always be improved so there really isn't a finished product. Harness your idea (s) and challenge your self to stay in the present moment and continue to follow that idea rather than the end result. Also keep in mind, what may work for others may not work for you in regards to writing. Good luck!
Hi, thanks for responding!
I love the idea of writing my own book. But I don't know if I can follow through with it. I think maybe I tend to look at the whole project and get intimidated, so I like your advice about trying to stay in the present moment.

Thanks!
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

It might be easier if you don't think about it like you're writing a book. Just write scenes or characters as they come to you, put 'em in a notebook, and see what you can do with them later! Plus there will always be people who can help you edit and compile things like that, but no one can really write it for you!

I tend to find myself having the opposite problem...I want to write, but never know what to write about! Oh well, that's when I just read :)
Balabanianm97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balabanianm97.html

Post by Balabanianm97 »

I know exactly what you mean!!! Although sometimes I will actually sit down and write for a good 3 weeks and I will get somewhere right! And then I realize I hate it and I stop writing :(
It's okay though I just pick up a book instead :D.
Anyway my advice (keep in mind I am probably the last person you want advise from but I'm going to give it to you anyway :D ) is to just write and after you get to the point you are happy make your friends read it and tell you the damage :wink: then you go and edit. In the end lets say you get 5-10 chapters in, reread EVERYTHING and edit it do this ever so ofter so you don't have too much to edit in the end and plus this helps more idea flow (in my opinion ... then again I am not a professional or anything)
Either way GOOD LUCK!!! and keep us updated :D
RheaGrey

Post by RheaGrey »

Balabanianm97 wrote:I know exactly what you mean!!! Although sometimes I will actually sit down and write for a good 3 weeks and I will get somewhere right! And then I realize I hate it and I stop writing :(
Anyway my advice (keep in mind I am probably the last person you want advise from but I'm going to give it to you anyway :D ) is to just write and after you get to the point you are happy make your friends read it and tell you the damage :wink: then you go and edit. In the end lets say you get 5-10 chapters in, reread EVERYTHING and edit it do this ever so ofter so you don't have too much to edit in the end and plus this helps more idea flow (in my opinion ... then again I am not a professional or anything)
Hahaha, thank you for your enthusiastic feedback/advice. I love it.
I think that maybe I will start slow and take this story bit by bit. I am just worried that I will put a ton of effort into it and then one day be like, "Meh", and scrap it. Sort of like what you said you do! I actually used to do that a lot when I was younger. I have a ton of old, unfinished stories on my old computer.

I will give it a try,
and will definitely keep you all updated if that's what you want.
annareads

Post by annareads »

Please do keep us updated!

And sometimes, Balabanianm, it helps to check back after a few weeks and see how you feel about it. If you still hate it, maybe there's something else you can do with it? Or you might find a few redeeming passages you can work into something else. It's all about leaving it for a while! (That being said, I tend to hate my work *more* after I leave it for a while...so who knows if that helps at all!)
Balabanianm97

Post by Balabanianm97 »

RheaGrey wrote:
Balabanianm97 wrote:I know exactly what you mean!!! Although sometimes I will actually sit down and write for a good 3 weeks and I will get somewhere right! And then I realize I hate it and I stop writing :(
Hahaha, thank you for your enthusiastic feedback/advice. I love it.
I think that maybe I will start slow and take this story bit by bit. I am just worried that I will put a ton of effort into it and then one day be like, "Meh", and scrap it. Sort of like what you said you do! I actually used to do that a lot when I was younger. I have a ton of old, unfinished stories on my old computer.

I will give it a try,
and will definitely keep you all updated if that's what you want.
Yay thank you I would love to be updated :3 maybe you can private message me? :D

-- 12 Aug 2014, 17:09 --
annareads wrote:Please do keep us updated!

And sometimes, Balabanianm, it helps to check back after a few weeks and see how you feel about it. If you still hate it, maybe there's something else you can do with it? Or you might find a few redeeming passages you can work into something else. It's all about leaving it for a while! (That being said, I tend to hate my work *more* after I leave it for a while...so who knows if that helps at all!)
:lol: I know what you mean!!!!! Although leaving it for a bit does help with editing I'll give it back :D But I haven't written in like 3 month damn I go through phases you know? idk it just might be me and my weird self ;)
annareads

Post by annareads »

Nah I go through phases too, believe me. I'm in a bit of a dry spell right now, but I've got notebooks of old stuff I can go through...although to be honest I'm putting it off haha.
Balabanianm97

Post by Balabanianm97 »

annareads wrote:Nah I go through phases too, believe me. I'm in a bit of a dry spell right now, but I've got notebooks of old stuff I can go through...although to be honest I'm putting it off haha.
Same I am currently in a reading stage though :D ... You know when I am not busy with the 50 million things I have to do. Or you know Netflix :) I know I'm terrible!! I have my AP Biology summer work due tomorrow and I am less than half way done... I have about 3 hours of work in front of me... and I am on Netflix right now, watching Psych. :D
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I've found that I do a lot of my writing just as thought experiments. Even before I sit down at a computer or a notebook, I play around with the ideas in my head. I put my characters through different plots, toy around with the setting, and work out what scenes I need to have. Usually, when I sit down to actually put words onto something, I'm at a place that I could consider a second or even third draft, depending on how long I've been holding onto it.

Sometimes, though, like everyone says, you just have to write. Even if it feels like you're writing the worst thing ever and you just want to give up, get out a couple of pages. Skip to the parts you really wanted to write. Even if those don't work out where you thought they would, you might end up reusing them for something better.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Anna Meyer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

I have had some awsome ideas come to me, when asleep. I would dream a part...as if from a great movie..people i dont know...movie i dont know...but the part..the piece...playing out in my dream...would inspire me to write a movie or movie script i suppose. I would love to get involved alongside a film...movie scriptwriter and see one script being written from Scratch to filmmaking. I would love to get involved. Internship or just helping with ideas...etc.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

How to do it: Sit your butt down and start writing!

Nobody's gonna write the short story or novel for you. You can fool yourself by keeping ideas tucked away in notebooks but that is a dead end. A long-time saying is that the "great American novel" sits unwritten in everyone's top desk drawer. Nowadays that same novel dusts away on a hard drive.

I'm an actual real writer, with 2 novels sold and published, a 3rd just completed (as yet unsold), numerous articles and some short fiction also published, plus many, many book and movie reviews.

You write by starting. Sadly the mysterious elves won't write that book for you overnight, as you aren't a shoemaker.

One person recommended a way to start is to jot down a single chapter or scene that's vivid in your mind, and work from there. Excellent advice. If you have trouble starting with "Chapter One: I am born." then forget chapter 1, and start "in medias res" by writing that vivid scene first. You'll soon learn to add to this and build the story around a central important chapter.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
bardgirl
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardgirl.html

Post by bardgirl »

I try to write things down when something pops into my head. I do write although I'm probably not all that great at it. I do have a website and try to write something daily. A voice recorder or a notebook would be handy if you get an idea.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

The point I want to make is that simply writing down random ideas and thoughts is another dead end. May as well just post inane junk on Facebook.

The object of "writing" is to produce something that's actually readable, something that's actually published. Random exegesis fragments aren't much good unless they're formed into a short story, essay, article, novel, or whatever. Otherwise it's a waste. It's like a bunch of iron ore that sits in a heap until it's forged into a skillet or door or car or whatever. Raw materials extant in jotted notes are only of value after they're "forged" into that story. If you let amazing story ideas slide away, grab yourself by the scruff of the neck and make yourself start using those ideas productively. And when you get stuck, come back here and we'll help get you un-stuck.

So hey, get busy, gang!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “Writing Discussion”