I let potentially amazing story ideas slip away

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Re: I let potentially amazing story ideas slip away

Post by Anna Meyer »

I'm really inspired... just from reading all your comments above! Will let you know when I've written something ...a chapter!
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Being inspired is fine, but the "shine" doesn't last that long. Giving this some thought, I believe this lessening of enthusiasm may be a contributor to why stories never get written and "amazing ideas" just sit gathering literary dust.

Sure, having a spark of inspiration is a terrific thing. One example... in my recently completed 3rd mystery novel, I was stuck on a plot point. The bad guy was holed up somewhere, cops and nobody else could find him. I wanted my protagonist private eye to discover where the bad guy was hiding, but do this via some seemingly unimportant clues that later pop up and Wow! the PI knows the hiding place.

Well, I just couldn't think of how this happens. So rather than sit and not write, I continued on to the finale of the book, and let the puzzle about clues percolate in my brain. And then, it hit! I suddenly knew how to "reveal" the hiding place, and sure enough, it worked great. I ran the idea past my girlfriend and she agreed. So I massaged the concept a bit and wrote the necessary stuff in my book. And looking back, it came out just fine.

The solution to the puzzle clues as to how to find the bad guy was indeed an "amazing story idea" -- but fact is, it represented about 5% of my completing the novel. The other 95% was hard work, writing chapters and revising and re-revising.

What I'm saying is that the bulk of any writer's job is often boring, not glamorous, and not very "amazing" -- instead it's a labor of love, turning those ideas into real words on a page (or in a Word doc) and after the "shine" of inspiration, the majority of a writer's time is spent in hard, painstaking writing and revisions.

So don't lose the fire after that initial flash. Keep the objective there, an impetus to stay focused and create a completed story or novel or essay or whatever.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
alwhitworth84

Post by alwhitworth84 »

I actually started writing a book, but it was deleted by an ex who wanted to make me angry....it worked! I was to the point in my vision of the book, that I even had thoughts on a soundtrack, if it ever became a movie. I have a feeling it would have been a lifetime movie, if that were the case. :lol:

The premise of my book was a woman in her early 20s being raped and the rapist never being captured. She goes through many mental roadblocks and trials due to this. Throughout her life, he overcomes her fears and meets and falls in love. She holds on to her re-vowed V-card from the time of her rape, but feels that this guy is the one to give it to. The new fella turns out being the rapist and he only realizes that she is who he raped by a birthmark on her hip.

I had two different endings to this story and was torn on which on to pick. I know that there are many who would not like this subject or topic, but I also think that it is something that could actually happen in real life....and what would we do...what would anyone do?

I was about 3/4 throught the book when it was deleted, and never started it again. I think that I convinced myself that maybe it was better to be unwritten, since the subject may not be well received.

Maybe one day I will start to write another book...I would love to be published.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, alwhit... a lesson to always perform timely backups, right? Those little thumbdrives can be worth their weight in gold if you get a crash. Or an angry partner?

You say "I would love to be published" but that is self-defeating, believe me. There are a gazillion people who sit around wishing they could be published. Well, a secret: No publishing company is searching forums like this one hoping to find wannabees.

To get published you have to DO something: 1- Write something you think is worth publishing. 2- Work hard to sell that piece. 3- If you don't sell, return to #1 and start again. Repeat until you get a check in the mail, and all the time, hone and perfect your skills so that what you write WILL be published. And by "published" I mean you get paid real money.

There's no other way.
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

For my current project, I pounded out all the major, breathtaking scenes that I could visualize, and explained everything, sort of the bare bones of the story, then began sketching in the transitions, which, unfortunately, is considerably harder once that initial rush of creative energy has subsided.
pavan369

Post by pavan369 »

I use a book just for ideas. As soon as I get a idea that I think could develop into a novel I write it down. Some basic scenes and the story world description, outlines etc. It's kind of more fun and exhilarating to do that, even more than actually writing the novel because you dont have to think about plotholes, character names and chronology and everything.
If you get better ideas about the novel later, keep adding to it and once you think you are ready, start writing.
cdisenberg
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Way too many to list
Currently Reading: Dantes Inferno
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdisenberg.html

Post by cdisenberg »

RE:I let potentially amazing story ideas slip away.

I do the same with ideas that I get after I go to bed. So, I keep a little journal by my bed just to jot down bullet points. I can then try to make something out of them when I am awake. I have often been tempted to try the Dragon speak and write program because I often play out scenes in my mind then find it hard to get them on paper or in my laptop. However, I think I might be to self conscious talking to my computer even if those around were my family. I may give it a try just to see if I could? Just try keeping a little notebook for ideas and maybe storyboard first that may help.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

pavan369 wrote:I use a book just for ideas. As soon as I get a idea that I think could develop into a novel I write it down. Some basic scenes and the story world description, outlines etc. It's kind of more fun and exhilarating to do that, even more than actually writing the novel because you dont have to think about plotholes, character names and chronology and everything.
If you get better ideas about the novel later, keep adding to it and once you think you are ready, start writing.
With all due respect, I think you're dissembling. That is, putting off the novel. After all, how are you planning to publish (or get published) a book with just random ideas? Not very likely.

You have to actually WRITE a novel, my friend. And that includes plot, dialogue, and "everything" else. Just keeping a scrapbook of ideas doesn't suit me as much fun, not as much as telling a story, start to finish.

But that's just me. I write to get published.
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

moderntimes is totally right.

I would suggest two things. 1. Write down the characters and scenes and keep them grouped by which story they belong to. I use notebooks for the random ideas I come up with. Sometimes they turn into something and sometimes they are just good practice.
2. Take the NaNoWriMo challenge this November. It was the only that got me to finish writing my novel.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

As I'm beginning to write my 4th novel, I've got a file "4th novel ideas" into which I type all the stuff that comes to me as I ponder what things the novel will contain. I keep that file shorcut name on my laptop "desktop" so I can access it quickly.

As I begin to write chapters and elemental scenes of the novel, I extract the ideas and notes from this "ideas" file. Works great for me.

So your "notebooks" for me are computer files. Otherwise the same. If it's in a handwritten book somewhere, I STILL have to type it into the computer, so using the laptop first skips an unnecessary step.

The NaNowhatever thing? I'm not too keen on that. Reason is, nothing is done with the outcome. Am I correct on this? Does the "novel" get published and sold and the authors get royalties? If so, let me know. I thought that there is no money made from this. Or is the novel published at all, proceeds maybe going to charity?
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A writing notebook is a great idea, but only, as has been said, if those ideas get used in the actual process of writing. Otherwise we end up more like the concept guy for a commercial/movie/television show instead of the actual writer and crafter of the show. And if we want to write stories, we have to actually write them and not keep putting it off perpetually until we have enough "good" ideas to write them. Procrastination kills writing just as much as it kills anything else.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

Moderntimes, it depends on the author. I've been working on revising my NaNo novel for the last four years and plan on self publishing next year. Some people use NaNo as practice others as a catalyst.

Rssllue, I agree, I think my favorite quote which really sums up how I feel about NaNo and writing down ideas was said by Issac Asimov. When asked how he wrote so many books, he answered something like, "I write 7, 000 words a day, every day. If it is good, I finish it and turn it into a novel."
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

But you see, amelia, in the past 4 years, instead of writing NaNo, I simply went ahead and wrote the novels that I wanted to write, without anyone else, and in that time, SOLD two of the novels, which were published, and then I've recently completed my 3rd, and I'm starting on the 4th.

So NaNo didn't tweak my impetus -- I pushed myself to write "from inside" and didn't use any external element. All on my lonesome, which is why I wrote what I wanted to write. I've done so much writing on assignment when I worked for a paper and then a local magazine, I wanted to write exactly what I chose to -- hardcore modern American private eye.

Nevertheless I do understand why some folks use NaNo -- they need a push and that serves the purpose.

It should not take 4 years to revise a novel, unless it's immense, like over 100k words and an epic or whatever. But at 60k-80k words, maybe 5 months tweaking should be enough. Of course some folks might simply do a total revision and complete rewrite, which would take lots longer.

But instead of "intending to self publish" why not make every effort to place that novel with an agent or publisher? Where they pay you?
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

Your accomplishments in the last four years are impressive. Every writer has a different process, for me I love the community of writers of NaNoWriMo and writing with a group is a lot of fun. But like you said, I push myself to write "from inside" during the year without NaNo as well.

Funny enough my novel is over 100K. :) I've learned a lot about writing novels while in the process of revising this book and think I've really honed in on my style which will make it a lot easier to complete the next one a lot faster.

As of now, self publishing is the route I want to take, but that is not to say I won't consider publishing traditionally in the future. Thanks for all of your advice.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, perhaps self publishing is the better route for such a long novel. It's pretty hard to place something over 80k words if the author's new.

Actually my accomplishments aren't that impressive. My first 2 private detective novels did sell, but to a mostly e-book press with virtually no advertising oomph and no return policy with bookstores (the stroke of death). They however did treat me fairly and did a very professional job printing my books, beautifully "trade paperback" with a nifty noir cover. I've since become good e-pals with the cover artist and if anyone here's into adult-oriented graphic novels and art, I'd recommend you check out her Facebook page: "Dani Smith".

Anyway, although I got good reviews, sales were nonexistent. Even the local mystery bookshop wouldn't stock my book unless I gave them copies for assigned sale. Naturally, I was able to get a discount on the books so I did this, sold 20, then another 20, then another 20, and so on, but the bookstore still wouldn't order the book. Yet here are 2 pretty rousing mystery thrillers, both by a local Houston writer and the stories set in Houston, and they still wouldn't budge.

I also racked up some decent Amazon sales, both e-book and print but nothing to retire on, ha ha (I retired anyway, 5 years ago, after a long career in science and engineering, as a computer analyst and programmer, then consultant and spec analyst for deepwater offshore drilling and exploration, specializing in environmental and safety specifications. whew!)

But it is a big step up, I promise you, to actually place your book with a real publisher and go into a bookstore and point and say (to yourself) "I wrote that!" and to host a book signing (which I did -- what a rush!)

My next step upward is to place my 3rd novel with a larger publisher that provides more advertising and bookstore promotion (and stocking return policy) -- I'm currently working with such a publisher. And so I've got my fingers crossed. Also I'm not wasting time twiddling my fingers -- I'm starting outlines and notes for my 4th novel in the series, plus a supernatural horror novel (Lovecraftian in style although modern and graphic), and a couple of articles and essays for some magazines. Plus I review mystery books for a mystery e-site. Double whew!

Self publishing? Nope, sorry. Not my cuppa tea, although I do understand its lure -- you decide what and when and so on, except that you also pay.

Let me strongly encourage you to first exhaust all possible "legit" sources first, as querying agents and publishers (those who accept unagented material) and test the water.

Let me ask... since your book may not have yet been evaluated by a professional editor, have you let smart and non-fawning (ha ha) friends read it, and ask for harsh feedback? Maybe your book needs more polish and then you could sell it! Ya never know till ya try.

Return to “Writing Discussion”