Dream Sequences

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Lauryn April
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauryn-april.html

Dream Sequences

Post by Lauryn April »

In my current WIP I have a few short dream sequences. They feel necessary to the story, but I've considered re-writing it to remove them as I've heard some say dream sequences should be avoided. How do you feel about dream sequences? Do you like to write them or do you avoid them at all costs? Do you think there's a certain way to write a dream sequence correctly? And, are there any books you've read where you feel the author used a dream sequence well, or not so well?
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

The new book I am writing is all about dream sequences but also about reality... I have found it to be very difficult to write because their are a lot of practicalities that need to be addressed. I tried to look online for books that also have this but to no avail... so instead I watched some movies that involve dream sequences. They were not all good but the ones that were ok were;
The Good night 2007
Paprika 2006
Inception 2010.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

No books, just movies.

Inception is my favourite movie.
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

I think dream sequences in books are okay as long as the reader is aware that what's going on is actually a dream and not real life. That and that the dream sequence is absolutely necessary.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
AryanaMender
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aryanamender.html

Post by AryanaMender »

I agree that dream sequences work, as long as they are relevant to the plot. I've never minded reading them if I know they are actually dream sequences and not tossed into the mix without notice.
Lauryn April
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauryn-april.html

Post by Lauryn April »

I'm glad to hear a lot of people saying they enjoy dream sequences. I like them as well, and it makes me feel better about using them.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Bringing back this old topic suddenly!
I think it really depends on how well you write it. If it's just weird and doesn't have anything to do with the story, then you should avoid it. But I don't mind dreams in stories, as long as it contribute to the plot and isn't there just for the sake of being there (like anything in a story, really).
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Elle Jasper does a good job of this. I like that, as a reader, you can tell when it's a dream.
I don't know if I like it when it's ment to trick the reader. But maybe that's just cause I was tricked :lol:
Chloe Neill's dream sequences work, for me at least.
In other words, I have nothing against them.
Done well they can really be interesting, and from a writing standpoint, they can be a good way to work around/through the plot and pleight of your characters.
They can be a blessing or a curse to your characters so it's a strong device in my opinion.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
dirtsmithy11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dirtsmithy11.html

Post by dirtsmithy11 »

Personal favorite dream sequence of mine is in the book One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey. The book has many but my favorite is a multi-page lucid dream described by chief Bromden. If you've never read it it is certainly worth picking up a copy. The passage is too detailed to describe here and there are so many to choose from but if you are familiar with the book I'm sure you'll know the passage I'm referring too.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm currently reading a book that has a lot of dream sequences! It's funny because I just started reading this book the other day, after I already replied to this thread!

Anyway, in this current book, it started off in a dream sequence, then it cut to real life, and that was all fine and dandy because I got it. And then later on in the book, more dream sequences would come up, and I understood they were dreams because they were always off the wall stuff and action/fighting going on. But then later a chapter opened up with a bunch of fighting, and I assumed that it was another dream sequence, but then it turned out to be real! It shocked me. It was like a reverse dream sequence. Does that even make sense? But anyway, it surprised me, and I thought it was well done.
Naomi
Favorite Author: Anais Nin
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi.html
fav_author_id: 4414

Post by Naomi »

I'm another person that likes the use of dream sequences.

I read a book the other week which was a mystery and the author used a dream sequence which fit into the suspense of the storyline in a very clever way.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Oh! So I know this story where there are these "memories" in the story, but then it turns out they are actually just really realistic dreams, but you go through the whole story thinking that they actually happened in the last. I like that kind of trickery. It's a massive plot twist. But I can't tell you the book because now the ending is ruined for you!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Dream sequences always make me think of Scooby-Doo for some reason. :?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

rssllue wrote:Dream sequences always make me think of Scooby-Doo for some reason. :?
Hahaha! And that, for some reason, makes me think of Wayne's World! 8)
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I like dream sequences as long as they're there for a reason. If they provide input on the protagonist's mental state, I like them. If they are an actual plot point-they reveal hidden memories, or characters communicate through dreams, or people are invading dreams-I usually like them. If they are just used to play bait and switch with making readers feel and then showing that the events were never real in the first place, I get annoyed. And if it's someone dreaming memories in a situation where a flashback would work just as well, I prefer the flashback.

Return to “Writing Discussion”