What's Your Favorite Piece of Writing Advice?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Writing Advice?

Post by SharisseEM »

9bit wrote:"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." -- Stephen King

I've read a lot of stuff by him and his son Joe Hill on the subject of writing; I think they both have really great stuff to say about it. They seem to honestly care about helping people understanding the craft.
I totally agree with this. It really works.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

If do don't write it down then you ain't a writer; you are just a dreamer.
Williamz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Williamz »

My writing advice to myself has always been, don’t stop writing and don’t worry about it being in chronological order. If the thought comes… Write it.
Gabby Blackwell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-blackwell.html

Post by Gabby Blackwell »

I have two favorite pieces of writing advice: the first is "Cut your darlings." In other words, cut the superfluous scenes, descriptions, and words that don't further the plot but are only there because you love them for vague, self-indulgent reasons. This has helped me a lot, and it good advice for most younger writers. A lot of times amateurs put in that scene, or that subplot, simply because they feel like it or like how those particular words sounded, instead of focusing on the effect it has on the story overall. Sometimes this is okay. Most of the time it's not.

The second is "Re-type every word of your story in a new document." Painstaking, but helpful. If you copy down every word of your story from a printed copy or another word document, you are forced to think about every word. You'll catch tons of errors, awkward sentences, and plotholes this way. The only downside is that, well, it's tedious. And painful. And it takes long amounts of time. I suppose you could compare it to ye olde dentist's office ordeal.

Those two are the most helpful to me at this particular time, but there are others.
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

Write something every day . . . even if that something is: "I don't feel like writing."

This next one isn't advice I've heard, but advice I would give. It kind of goes with the advice of the person before me.
I write things by hand. Then I type them up. Then I edit, edit, edit until I think it's done. Then I write it all down by hand again. Then I type it up again.
Every single time you re-type/re-write something, you will catch errors, awkward sentences, and generally just things that could have been written better.
It's time-consuming. Sometimes it's annoying, but every little bit helps. :)
JennaNicole
Favorite Author: C.J. Redwine
Favorite Book: Defiance [trilogy]
Currently Reading: The Giver Quartet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennanicole.html

Post by JennaNicole »

Don't keep it to yourself.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

My close friend used to tell me (she was also my teacher): "if you think it's good, it's not. Try harder." And it is bloody good advice :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Stop eating the paper.
CA_Griffith
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading: The Nightmare Merchant
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by CA_Griffith »

You may not know what's next, but if you keep writing it will reveal itself.
Lyn_R

Post by Lyn_R »

My favorite piece of writing advice came from my undergrad professor, "Cut the flowery crap and say what you mean." Love him. He really brought out the best of me.
icemech04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icemech04.html

Post by icemech04 »

To learn to write well, you must read and write -- ALOT
doppelganger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doppelganger.html

Post by doppelganger »

Just sit down and start writing. It won't be great at first, it may not even be good. But don't stop to edit. If you stop then you won't start writing again.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Write, write and write. . . Let the words flow, let the emotions and your hand do the work.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I like Stephen King's advice about writing every day, and reading a lot. I also like the advice that says to listen to your story and let it dictate where it goes, but also before you start writing a book, plan, plan, plan, and get to know your characters and what they have to say about what is happening in your story. I've been taking a writing class and this advice makes writing so much easier.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Return to “Writing Discussion”