What's Your Favorite Piece of Writing Advice?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

What's Your Favorite Piece of Writing Advice?

Post by Vimtuous »

I have a bunch but one of my favorites is

"Write. Finish things. Go for walks. Read a lot & outside your comfort zone. Stay interested. Daydream. Write"

- Neil GAiman
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

The best way to cure writer's block is to read... read a lot. Anything you want. Just read! Then when you come back to your desk and start to write, hopefully the words will just flow.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
untiltomorrow_28
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-untiltomorrow-28.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by untiltomorrow_28 »

"Put it all on paper, get it out and in the open. Wait a day or two, go back and read it, then begin to change what you want"
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I was actually looking around online for motivational pieces on writing and I found simply "Write every day." It's simple, but if you think about it it's also powerful. If I don't write every single day once I sit down and try to write I feel like I've lost some of my spark. You don't have to write something deep and meaningful every single day, but write something every day.
Something else I read was "Write what you want to write." This was helpful to me because I often want to write a certain genre or event but I don't because I'm not sure how it will be received. I write for me. Lesson learned: if I'm writing for me then I should write what I enjoy.
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." -- Stephen King

I've read a lot of stuff by him and his son Joe Hill on the subject of writing; I think they both have really great stuff to say about it. They seem to honestly care about helping people understanding the craft.
bookxlover24

Post by bookxlover24 »

For Me I Like To Write Randomly...To Start Then If I Have Writers Block Then I Forget About Writing For A Bit Let My Mind Wonder To Something Else...Then When You Feel Like Writing Again You Will Have Thought About A Subconscious Inspiration...
aca

Post by aca »

The best advice I ever got was to take the time to learn how *I* write, to learn my own particular process ie: am I a plotter or a pantser (or what percentage of either am I)?

To do that I had to try a lot of methods and approaches, but I work a lot more effectively now.
novemberdays14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novemberdays14.html

Post by novemberdays14 »

I'd have to say that my favorite piece of writing advice is "just keep writing." It's simple enough to do and it gets you where you want to be. If you constantly just keep telling yourself to "just keep writing" then you will be surprised at what you are capable of.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

This one's simple, and it's one of my favorite quotes: “The only secret to writing is AC: Ass on Chair.”—Wayson Choy
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Reignsublime

Post by Reignsublime »

The advice I've found to be the most useful is "just get it out." I used to do all my editing before moving on to the next section and it took me forever to progress. Now, I purge, just letting my mind rant, getting everything down on paper, not worrying about any editing. Once that's done, THEN go back and clean it up.
So, yeah, just get the story OUT first, THEN revise it.
Writing every day is important too I think.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

There is so much good writing advice out there. I have entire book that's my favorite, Bird by Bird by Anne LaMott. Every writer should own it, IMO.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Craig Meggy

Post by Craig Meggy »

I think Hemingway said "The first draft of anything is sh*t" so don't settle, edit!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Edit, edit, edit! and then when you think you're finished EDIT AGAIN!...

" Brevity is the soul of wit "............Shakespeare
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I don't recall who said it, but I've found that the best advice is to let the story do what it wants. Sometimes I have a plan for a story, but then while writing it, something changes to make it even better. Let stories be organic, and don't mind that they sometimes change your plans on you.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

Let the story write itself. Sometimes planning can only get you so far, but you can usually feel the direction that your character want to go in.

Return to “Writing Discussion”