What music do you listen to for inspiration?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Book+Ocean
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-ocean.html

What music do you listen to for inspiration?

Post by Book+Ocean »

I personally find it easier to write while listening to music. For me, listening to movie soundtracks have kept my pen flowing for the type of genre I normally tend to write in-which is usually some type of young adult science fiction fantasy mix so I tend to listen to those kinds of movie soundtracks i.e. superhero movies as of late. When I want to get to a serious mode I play classical music or I'm in epic action scene mode I go for the epic movie trailer music online. I think it would be fascinating to learn what other writers find inspirational or if there are writers like me who use the same type of muse.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

Rock music! Sometimes it's hard and ruff but other times its tender, sad and poetic. I think it can cater to all the different moods in my scenes.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

Movie soundtracks are usually pretty good. Lord of the Rings is one of my favorites! The music is already kind of tailored for actions and it definitely helps motivate me.

Really any kind of instrumental music is usually good though, just as long as it doesn't have lyrics. Lyrics tend to distract me from what I'm trying to do.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

I haven't written anything in a while, but before I have listened to Classic Rock while writing.
I found that so many of the songs brought inspiration, that is just helped me write! :)
thsavage2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

It depends what sort of mood I'm in. Usually stuff like classical music is the best because it doesn't have any words, which I find distracting. Some of my favorites are Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Gershwin, and Dvorak. I also like listening to movie soundtracks, Pirates of the Caribbean and LOTR are especially good for feeling epic. I also love the Star Wars soundtrack.

Occasionally I can listen to classic rock if I need to increase my energy level (or I'll get some coffee...). But sometimes silence is best, when I really need to do some thinking before I put anything down on paper.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
untiltomorrow_28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-untiltomorrow-28.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by untiltomorrow_28 »

In my experience, and in talking to classmates, everyone has a tendency to listen to music. I love hearing about what people listen to when writing, reading, learning etc. For me, it has to be Smooth Jazz. I love the way songs are slowed down and you have a dark silky voice crooning on about a love that is lost or found.

Classical and Country music come in close behind. Mostly they are background music to fill the void.
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I like to put the several thousand songs on my ipod on shuffle when I'm writing but there are some times when I'm in the mood to listen to something a bit deep. I've found that in those times Florence and the Machine is a good choice. I don't know what it is but that music sounds a bit melancholy and I've found it to be very inspiring.
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

I can't listen to anything with vocals. Way too distracting. For me it's either rain sounds or, like Book+Ocean said, something genre-appropriate. Movie soundtracks are great for this.
manoj01

Post by manoj01 »

I listen Linkin Park songs for my inspiration...
Phlo

Post by Phlo »

I constantly have the Internet Radio on and listen to both Classical and Jazz!
novemberdays14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novemberdays14.html

Post by novemberdays14 »

Listening to music definitely helps me write. I have to listen to music with no words. Just instrumental music. And I usually pick my favorite songs from movies I've seen. Some movies have some incredible scores and I put a song on repeat and then just listen away :)
luigiymario2
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Infernos by Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The lost symbol by Dan Brown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luigiymario2.html
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by luigiymario2 »

i like hard music, do when i want inspiration, I listen to rock, dubstep,etc.
If it is not today, then when?
if it is not you, then who?
if you don't make a change, then who will change?
thenameisZelda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

Anything I usually like, but at a lower volume than normal. Sometimes it will be character specific, anything I think that character would listen to. Just to give a deeper insight into that character.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
sbcarlisle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbcarlisle.html

Post by sbcarlisle »

For me, it really depends. If I'm trying to get the mood right, I go for the music of the period or setting (e.g., WWII music for a scene set in Britain in 1943). I make character and story playlists both. The character lists tend to be music with vocals, but the story playlists tend to be a mishmash of different movie soundtracks.
dirtsmithy11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dirtsmithy11.html

Post by dirtsmithy11 »

I was going to post a link but alas, as a new user I cannot. Slow magic has a great new album out that has been on repeat in my house. It is free to listen to on hype machine for now! Go check it out.

Return to “Writing Discussion”