Help!

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Help!

Post by moderntimes »

Joe, you're going about it all wrong. Writers don't look at the market, see what's popular, and then write a novel within that genre. Writers instead write a novel about what interests THEM.

Me, for example. within the fiction aspect, I've written fantasy, SF, horror, and mainstream short stories. Done so for years. But when I decided to focus on novels, I turned to mystery, specifically the modern American private eye genre, and have subsequently written 3 novels of a continuing series. Why that subject? Because that's the genre I love most.

It's fine to "play around" with various genres while writing short stories but for a novel, you really need to feel "the muse" and have that confidence about the topic you've picked. And to make that decision because YOU chose that genre. Not because others recommended you do so, even if the recommendation is genuinely sourced.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
mel_04
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mel_04 »

I absolutely love a book with an epic love story to it and a little bit of action!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Any luck coming up with something for your full-length book?
Personally, I don't know how to write a short story. I'm too long-winded when it comes to writing.
I think it depends on the kind of inspiration that you have. I like to play around in different genres to see what comes easiest for me.
I started out writing really serious, drama-like stories, and then I tried romantic comedy because I thought that's what people wanted to read (kind of like how you are asking for advice) but it didn't work for me... but it DID lead me into writing satirical/parody stories, which are really stupid yet super fun to write. And when writing is fun, that's all that matters to me.

Return to “Writing Discussion”