What Do You Like Best to Write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Re: What Do You Like Best to Write?

Post by chibi_kitsune »

I like writing fantasy / science fiction novels. Although it's still a work in progress, I like writing about my characters as I her into their heads and see and experience things from their perspectives. Sadly, it might be awhile before I'm finished as college takes quite a bit of time. I've tried poetry and other genres, but I keep going back to fantasy. It's fun being in a different world.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
haikudude
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by haikudude »

I'm not a writer(haven't been published), but am encouraged by my efforts and have
a strong skill set--vocabulary, improvisation, character development that needs to be honed. And I'm willing to invest the time that it will take. My best writing is Fact-based fiction. I like the narrative style(similar to Hunter Thompson's work in the fear and loathing books) best. I recently read a narrative account of the Spanish Civil War. I read
the book twice the same day I checked it out of the library. This guy got it done. What a craftsman. He had a story to tell and he told it well. I'm working on a fictionalized account of the years I spent in a small town in Mexico. The most noticeable difference
between what I write and what has been written, is my involvement with "mexico"
and "mexicans". Norteamericano writers imbue them and el pais with powers and characteristics they don't possess. And never did. Their books have the same validity
as a snow job like Fodor. They believe something so that's what they see. Por ejemplo,
my wife and I were invited to attend the quinceanera fiesta of the mayor
s daughter one year. It's a big drunk(especially with this guy providing the fire power)
and a chance for an unconnected gringo to make some valuable connections. Benito
couldn't be more proud. Everyone who was supposed to, kissed his ass. I gave his daughter an envelope with $20 in it. You'd have thought she'd seen The Virgin Of Guadeloupe. So Benito makes every effort to kiss my ass. Tut, Tut it's nothing. All this
wonderful outpouring of amistad y amable has probably been recorded in some American school teacher's self published book. "She Was Only 15". But it's all bull.
Benito carries with him a stench that pervades everything he touches. Four
months earlier he murdered a man at the Palenque in Huatulco. He spent 4 months in
"jail" pretending he was going to trial. 10 days before quinceanera the judge dismissed
the case, because NO ONE HAD AUTOPSIED the body. Benito is $5000 lighter, but he's
the Mayor, he'll get it back. This is the sort of story that will be in my book. That will
probably be published 2 days before I die. It all things mexican, you must remain
steadfastly fatalistic(Or you'll miss all the good stuff!)> Nos vemos muchachos!
Toria_Hostler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-hostler.html

Post by Toria_Hostler »

I absolutely love to write fiction. Stories about hardships, abuse, etc. mostly. I really really want to be able to write poetry, given I haven't tried too hard. Any tips for writing poetry?
Johntherobert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

Argument, conflict, lawsuit
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

Creative nonfiction comes easiest to me, and I'm usually the most satisfied with how it comes out. It could be leftover from my high school newspaper days (good ol' journalism), or it could just be because I have no imagination (well I hope it's not that), but I just find creative nonfiction more natural. And I do love poetry!

Toria: advice on poetry? Read a lot of it. It'll help you figure out what you like and don't like, what you want to integrate into your work and what you want to keep as far away from your poetry as possible. Old stuff: Yeats and Shakespeare, and you can check out the "favourite poets" threads on here for more. Modern stuff: Richard Siken and Timothy Donnelly. Just to get you started :)
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Nathrad Sheare wrote: ... I like to let them do as they're going to without my prompting. Then I work with their decisions... etc
Very interesting! And much like I write, too.

When I first started writing fiction, I tried to make my characters act like marionettes, to say and do what I wanted them to do. And of course the result was bland and dull. It was later that I learned what to do... I created "real" characters with backgrounds, motives, personalities. Then I'd set them into a situation and simply lean back and "take dictation!"

Of course it all comes from within your own head, but I've sweated blood to make my characters as human and realistic as possible, and that's when I really started to create interesting fiction.

As to the thread title, although I write short stories, essays, articles, and book reviews, my focus of late has been a series of modern American private detective novels. The first 2 were purchased and published, and I recently completed the 3rd and I'm now seeking agent representation or perhaps a publisher.

My novels are realistic, adult oriented, and pitched toward a fairly educated readership (no "fists and gats" Mike Hammer stuff here). Instead, my protagonist private eye is very intelligent and highly educated, urbane and at ease with modern technology. This of course doesn't prevent him from getting his knickers into a knot, ha ha.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
kimberlysanchez

Post by kimberlysanchez »

writing is my passion and mainly i like to write poems. actually i was started to write the poem to impress my girlfriend and automatically i was fall in love to write poem. my girlfriend like my poems very much and she was very supportive. And i think this site will be help me to know more about the poem writing.
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

I like writing speculative fiction that answers what-if questions. My current project's science fiction tinged with fantasy, and I really like it (wow, is that bad that I'm in love with my own work?). I like that it's quirky, inspires curiousity in the reader (hopefully) then satisfies it (hopefully). I love writing human beings, not overly-virtous heros, and even my "villains" are more the product of bad circumstances than innate evilness.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I like writing romance and it also allows me to branch out to different sub-genres of romance such as paranormal, contemporary, historical or Sci-fi. I use third person POV but I've been thinking of dabbling in first person for a couple of my stories where I find it works. I enjoy changing up my characters by using different types of personalities. I tend to spend lots of time naming my characters and a lot of time contemplating the sentences I use because very often I feel that it doesn't feel good enough. I like to inject humour into my writing too.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Return to “Writing Discussion”